AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if any one has updated there software for the LP350. The new V2.1 is supposed to extend bulb life somehow but Infocus doesn't't explain how they do this with a software upgrade.

I'm hoping that it lowers the voltage to the bulb and changes the gamma curve to compensate. This may actually improve CR if they did it correctly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Anyone have one of those RS-232 programming adapters for the LP350? If so, have you traced the pins through the thing? I'd like to save myself $65. I really hate manufacturers who pull that kind of crap - charging needlessly for upgrades to their product that should be free.

If no one has it, I'm going to buy it and figure out a way to make it super cheap and put it on a website. No one should be extorted like that. It is disrespectful of the customer.

-todd-

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Today - I agree, manufacturers shouldn't pull that crap.

However ... go to http://www.infocus.com/service/locat...site_region=1& and find a local service center. Any respectible service center will let you bring your projector in and burn in the upgrade for free. Infocus only charges for the cable in case you want to do it yourself.

I haven't heard where anyone has had a problem simply bringing their Infocus into a local service center and getting it done free.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Is there anyway Bob from Infocus could tell us exactly what changed in the 2.1 ?

as GMancusa said, it would be nice to see a little bit of contrast improvment...

Personally, i really would like to be able to enable the white segment in video mode. I have a FL-D filter and my lamp has almost 900 hours.... it's getting dim... the white segment would give me better contrast and a little bit of punch.

Pierre

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Any respectible service center will let you bring your projector in and burn in the upgrade for free. Infocus only charges for the cable in case you want to do it yourself.
Thanks for that information. Infocus does not state this on their website in the software download section, and they should.

However, to take advantage of this free option, I have the inconvenience of taking my projector down off my custom ceiling mount and driving 200 miles round trip down to Los Angeles from Santa Barbara.

The thing is... all Infocus needs to do is properly document the serial pins on that connector. Then I can reprogram it myself without paying $65 for a an adapter I will probably use exactly once. I asked their support for this information, but was rebuffed.

-todd-

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
i really would like to be able to enable the white segment in video mode.
One thing I've always wondered... I run my projector using the DVI output from my ATI Radeon card and I use PowerDVD. Since I am using the "computer" connection, isn't my clear section activated by default?

Thanks,

-todd-

·
Registered
14 Posts
one way to get around paying for the upgrade by buying the adapter is to buy it, install the upgrade, then return it.

I tried doing it this way but for what ever reason, i couldn't get it to work. So i returned it, since it was broken. They took it back and gave me a refund... but i think i still had to pay for shipping.

just so you know, when i tried doing it a few months ago, the upgrade required my p.c. to be running on dos. Since i had windows xp at the time... it was a pain the butt. Luckily i had an old hard drive that still had windows 98 on it...

but it didn't work anyways, so it was a waste of time... and a waste of money since i also had to buy a null modem cable from radio shack... which i didn't return. (i'm lazy)

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Quote:
However, to take advantage of this free option, I have the inconvenience of taking my projector down off my custom ceiling mount and driving 200 miles round trip down to Los Angeles from Santa Barbara.
For $15 - $20 (insured for $3500) you can ship it UPS Ground, it would still get there next day.

If you took it down Monday ... you'd be back up and running on Thursday.

Just an idea ...

I don't think we will ever get the pinout from Infocus where this cable is sold for purposes other than just to upgrade this projector. I won't defend Infocus ... but it makes business sense.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by today
One thing I've always wondered... I run my projector using the DVI output from my ATI Radeon card and I use PowerDVD. Since I am using the "computer" connection, isn't my clear section activated by default?

-todd-
You are right, your clear section is enabled. With either VGA or DVI connection, the LP350 enables the white segment, giving the best contrast ratio the PJ can do.

Do you have a filter (like FL-d or CC20M) on the lens or do you like your colors like that ?

Pierre.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Do you have a filter (like FL-d or CC20M) on the lens or do you like your colors like that?
I'm currently projecting onto a sheet. I've been doing this for quite a while. Not by choice. I mean to remodel the window behind where the screen goes, and I didn't want to permanently mount the screen until that work was finished. Thought it would be done a while ago, but you know how that sometimes goes...

I've tweaked the color settings a bit using the ATI control panel. Its good enough for me. I'm not that picky, the pixel density isn't enough to be picky, and there are only a few DVD titles made by video engineers that actually gave a damn. If the sources were worth it, I'd be more picky, and I'd not be using the LP350. ;)

I'm most disappointed with the low contrast ratio, which has a tendency to slightly wash out dark scenes, and I suspect that is due largely to the sheet. It is beautiful with outdoor scenes, though.

The thing I really care about now is that the picture is 8 feet wide. I'm much more picky about my audio. I've got a 7.1 Martin Logan setup driven by a Denon 5800 with a Sunfire subwoofer that I just love. It works very well with my long room. It's a good set of compromises between critical listening and movie theater and bang-for-buck.

I'm going to CES in January and will be checking out the screens then. I also hope to see the 7200 from Infocus, although I'm not too fond of the $10k asking price. At that point, I'll probably just spend a few bucks on the filter you suggested instead.

-todd-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.