AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just wanted to start a thread about using the awesome V6 material on a inexpensive Silver Ticket frame. I ordered the material from @Mike Garrett at AV Science. It came in a very large tube shipping enclosure along with the grip channel to attach to my frame. Mike was very fast to reply with great instructions when needed.

I cut notches in the channel to fit around the protruding screw heads and used Liquid Nails Fuze*It construction adhesive. This glue has very good grabbing properties and the bond to the frame is definitely permanent. I used a little tape to keep the channel straight as the glue dried. The channel does come with a bit of a bow in it.

After letting the adhesive dry for 24 hours, everything went together pretty easily using a pizza wheel to tuck the material into the channel while pushing down on the extra material from outside the frame to give it a little tension. I then trimmed off the excess and reinstalled the support Bars.

The results are pretty amazing actually. What you get is a acoustically transparent screen with almost none of the drawbacks. Zero visible texture even close up on bright scenes. No light bleed through. Great contrast and sharpness. And also really great acoustic properties. This has to be the best AT material available.

I’m not sure how much you would have to pay to get a pre-made screen with this level of performance. It was definitely an upgrade to the stock Silver Ticket material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,322 Posts
Looks cool. Did you happen to take a pic of a bright image on your screen before and after the new material? I wonder if in a pic the difference would be noticeable. Good work!

·
Registered
814 Posts
That grip channel stuff looks interesting, or at least it looks easier to work vs some of the other examples I have seen. Curious if one can find it readily available elsewhere? Any issues with getting an "even" stretch all around into the channels?

Did you have a ST AT screen before hand or was it a solid screen? I picked up a 120" ST AT screen myself and I am also looking at doing some kind of retrofit of the screen material as I am not terribly happy with the AT properties...

-pd

·
Premium Member
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That grip channel stuff looks interesting, or at least it looks easier to work vs some of the other examples I have seen. Curious if one can find it readily available elsewhere? Any issues with getting an "even" stretch all around into the channels?

Did you have a ST AT screen before hand or was it a solid screen? I picked up a 120" ST AT screen myself and I am also looking at doing some kind of retrofit of the screen material as I am not terribly happy with the AT properties...

-pd

I’m sure it can be found with a little google searching.

Yes I was able to get good tension with no wrinkles. There is no pattern to the surface so if it isn’t exactly even tension everywhere it isn’t noticeable. Plus the material doesn’t really stretch anyway.

My screen did have the ST AT material. I wasn’t crazy about it either. I didnt hate it but I knew it definitely had faults such as texture contrast and acoustics. The ST material knocked the highs down big time. I haven’t measured the V6 yet but subjectively it does seem like the highs are back.

The V6 is better in every way.

·
Premium Member
4,322 Posts
No I didn’t. It’s very obvious from 10’ away though.

I gotta stay off these forums. Lol. You guys had me looking into a new projector yesterday and now a new screen!
All kidding aside, now I do see all the cheapness of the silver ticket screen. I’m gonna measure my titans with and without my screen up and see the difference. If it’s real bad I just might copy your upgrade. Thanks for posting Brian.

·
Premium Member
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I gotta stay off these forums. Lol. You guys had me looking into a new projector yesterday and now a new screen!
All kidding aside, now I do see all the cheapness of the silver ticket screen. I’m gonna measure my titans with and without my screen up and see the difference. If it’s real bad I just might copy your upgrade. Thanks for posting Brian.
I never did any sweeps with the silver ticket material and my 1099's but I did when I had the HTM-12's. There was a serious drop in the highs starting at 10Khz that was not there without the screen. Now with the V6 material I can hear a distinct increase in detail in the highs that wasnt there with the ST material. I have not reran Audyssey yet but the increase in the highs tells me that the material is better acoustically and that Audyssey was possibly boosting the highs to make up for it. It may sound even better once I run Audyssey again.

My theory about the ST material was that the decrease in highs came from towing my speakers in. Because the ST material is a thicker strand weave plastic type, as you go more off axis the "holes" get smaller so therefore speakers that are towed in are trying to get the sound through smaller holes. Maybe closed off even. The V6 material is more cloth like with much smaller strands and so being off axis or towing in the speakers will not have the same negative effect of the "holes" shrinking. Most of the testing I have seen does not look at this issue that towed in speakers would have with trying to pass sound through the material at an angle.

Just a theory though.

·
Registered
814 Posts
In case anyone else is interested in the process to recycle/retrofit their frame, I found the following last night as the thread inspired me to once again start searching...

Not sure why I couldn't find it before as it had been out for quite a while, but I guess my combination of search terms was weak... Now to get a couple quotes and make a choice.

-pd

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yep I also watched that video multiple times. They were lucky enough to have a nice channel that the grip rails fit perfectly into without screw heads in the way.

I'm really interested in V6 and Seymour AT screen materials, but the frames are expensive and I dread the idea of building my own. I've been thinking about just buying a Silver Ticket AT screen and living with it for a while, and then replacing the screen material down the road. Are you happy with the quality of the Silver Ticket frame?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts