AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, from my first reading my reaction has to be...bah! I'm willing to wager a few bucks that it's just the old AC '97 chips running through a vacuum tube as some sort of gimmik setup. If anyone has information that proves this wrong, I'd be interested in seeing it (the information, not the board...my digital out is fine for me, thanks).

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Probably need a 500 watt ps just to run the thing. Heat has also been mentioned as valves (tubes) need a heater to operate. Looks like a couple of big honking capacitors too.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Seems like a good way to start a fire or melt a cable. I would have thought they would have put a cage around the vacuum tube.

I am not sure who is going to buy this? Running digital output to an Tube external DAC/AMP would yeild much better sound.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I run tube amps, myself but I only noticed one tube on this MB. What single tube can do 2 channels??... Dig the high voltage transformer. You wouldn't want to touch those caps for a while after power down. ZZZZAAAPPPP!

But, I'm sure there are some 'audiophiles' that will go for it.

Gary

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
That tube is a dual triode, it is like two tubes in one glass envelope. Many tubes are made this way.

Also, tubes don't get THAT hot unless they are being used at high power... Since this tube is being used to drive a line out instead of a speaker, I doubt there is much heat generated beyond what the tube heater produces (and that isn't much).

·
Registered
47 Posts
The funniest thing in my mind is that it clearly says there's an AC '97 codec on the board. At some point, the audio has to do the digital->analog dance, and if the AC97 is doing the dance, it'll sound like crap. Sending crap through a tube amp won't suddenly make it smell like roses. :)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by helzerr
That tube is a dual triode, it is like two tubes in one glass envelope. Many tubes are made this way.

Also, tubes don't get THAT hot unless they are being used at high power... Since this tube is being used to drive a line out instead of a speaker, I doubt there is much heat generated beyond what the tube heater produces (and that isn't much).
I would imagine that it would run about the same temperature as a drier tube in a pre-amp....which get hot...it is glass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.