AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Quick question that hopefully someone can offer a solution on. I am looking to validate that my display (46" toshiba LCD) is actually showing 1080p and not just 1080i - how do you go about it? My AVR is an Onkyo and I can see that it thinks it is getting both an input and output signals at 1080p but the tv display simply shows 1920x1080 so is there a different way to confirm that my display is actually receiving the full 1080p signal? Or said another way, what I really want to Sonia to confirm that my cabling is providing the full 1080p details that the receiver is outputting. Thanks in advance!

Matt

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
There are no interlaced LCD displays. All LCD Plasma fixed pixel TVs display their native resolution (such as 1080p) progressily from a software buffer . All 1080p fixed pixel displays will accept 1080i content and de-interlace it by combining the odd line (1080x540) field and the even line field into a siingle softtware buffer which the display hardware then displays on the screen.

See:

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/what_is_ATSC.html

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
On my various units when the signal is 1080p it just says 1920x1080, when the signal is 1080i it displays 1920x1080i. What do you have connected to the panel? Most cable or SAT boxes can be cycled through the various resolutions and with each change the display so show what the resolution is.

If you are using the Onkyo for upconverting that is another story. I have an Onkyo 807 that I like and feed all my content through. After I had it for 6 months or so i started feeling my display was lacking. It's pro calibrated by Chad B. and always looked great. I was thinking it aged a bit and might need to be tweaked, but I turned off the video processing in the 807 and found the subtle but definite improvement in the image - my display was back to what it was supposed to look like. I did loose the on screen displays, but that was truly minor.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
The broadcast signal is 1080i, whereas it is possible to pass 1080p via HDMI video.

The 1080i signal will be deinterlaced into a 1080p video frame, by delaying each broadcast frame by 1/60th of a second, then weaving it together with the next frame.

The only signal format any flat panel can display is the native panel resolution, and progressive scan. Therefore each input signal will get converted to native resolution for display.

·
Registered
8,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorizons; /forum/post/0

Hi folks. Quick question that hopefully someone can offer a solution on. I am looking to validate that my display (46" toshiba LCD) is actually showing 1080p and not just 1080i - how do you go about it? My AVR is an Onkyo and I can see that it thinks it is getting both an input and output signals at 1080p but the tv display simply shows 1920x1080 so is there a different way to confirm that my display is actually receiving the full 1080p signal? Or said another way, what I really want to Sonia to confirm that my cabling is providing the full 1080p details that the receiver is outputting. Thanks in advance!

Matt

Most post 2008 flatscreens are 1080p, some are 720p.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy
The broadcast signal is 1080i, whereas it is possible to pass 1080p via HDMI video.

The 1080i signal will be deinterlaced into a 1080p video frame, by delaying each broadcast frame by 1/60th of a second, then weaving it together with the next frame.

The only signal format any flat panel can display is the native panel resolution, and progressive scan. Therefore each input signal will get converted to native resolution for display.
My take was that the OP was not sure the various components were outputting 1080p TO the panel, not what the panel was capable of displaying and how it is done.

It's easy to overlook what the various units are outputting if it looks good. For a month or so I was not paying attention and when I was streaming content using my WD HD unit it was sending 720p to my display. I only noticed it when I paid attention when my display popped up the time and resolution. I changed it to 1080p which I thought I was watching all along.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts