AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I haven't seen it yet, but a friend of mine who has, says it's one of the best films he's seen in a while.

Being a history buff, I first read about the Stauffenberg assasination attempt on Hitler, back in the 70's. And I really want to see this movie. But I hate going to movie theaters anymore. Sometimes it's really tough waiting for movies to come out on video though!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
It's usually a bad sign when movies advertise at train stations and bus stops. It generally shows a big lack of confidence by the studios in their product.

Brian Singer as director is a good sign. Tom Cruise as star, not so much.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
This thing is getting tremendous ad play.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Saw it yesterday and found the movie to be very compelling. We all know the plot obviously failed, but it is interesting to see how it plays out. It did seem a bit strange to see the actors all speaking English, though Tom Cruise's character begins the narration in German in the beginning. The movie might have appeared more authentic if the actors spoke German, but overall the production values were quite good.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/15439735

If it were subtitled, it would go over like a lead zeppelin.

larry

LOL! Exactly. I believe the film makers intentions are to 'make' money. Not lose it.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss /forum/post/15443152

Yea, just think how much better " The Lives of Others" (Das Leben der Anderen) would have been if instead of German it was in English!

Well I think there is big distinction between a German made film dubbed in English, and an American made film that is in English from the get-go. Valkyrie is an American made film. So I don't think the 'language' argument is really valid here. If the Germans were doing it, then by all means, make it in German. But let's not forget, no matter what the subject matter, it IS a Tom Cruise movie, yes?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgotwals1 /forum/post/15439697

Come on man, use spolier tags when you are going to give away the biggest plot twist.

You mean I shouldn't mention anything about the ship sinking to someone who hasn't seen 'Titanic'?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I really liked this movie. I cannot comment on its historical accuracy, but it's extremely well-made and feels authentic, even with everyone speaking English (which is explained away in the first shot).

And regarding Tom Cruise, I really think I drank the media kool-aid and based my dislike of him based on off-screen shenanigans. When I look at all the movies he's been in the last five or so years, I've either liked or loved all of them:

Valkyrie

Tropic Thunder

Lions for Lambs (I admit I have not seen)

MI:III

War of the Worlds

Collateral

The Last Samurai

Minority Report

·
Registered
3,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar /forum/post/15438395

This thing is getting tremendous ad play.

That's an understatement. I don't see how anyone who's been conscious over the last few weeks could have missed being inundated with marketing for this film.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rto /forum/post/15459274

That's an understatement. I don't see how anyone who's been conscious over the last few weeks could have missed being inundated with marketing for this film.

Yep - All those eye patch shots. Were there 5 ft Aryan's back in the day? can't remember

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.