AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea? it's got 1850hours of use as per teh listing in the options.

all colors seem to work good.

comes complete with a universal remote by Phillips with the correct program download for the CRT.

ps. I'm having a VERY VERY VERY hard time setting this thing up so I can ACTUALLY use it...it was in our house when we moved in and I've tried to make the picture look anything other then 3D and it's not going well, I've easily spet 20hours workign on setting it up and configureing all the settings, spent close to $1000 upgrading peices of my home theater system to work with it and I've been able to use it ONCE.

I'm frustrated and know that a nice 42" LCD woudl suit me just fine!!

lol

thanks for letting me rant a bit.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Someone will offer you $250 or less for it, and then brag on the forum about the great deal he got.

You are better off selling the parts seperately, since a good green tube is worth a couple hundred by itself.

Marc

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eastern Canada

All tubes are/seem to work perfectly, although I'm having trouble keeping the green "on"

it works perfectly for set up and then shuts off for viewing picture.

I know I clicked something I shouldn't have clicked...but have no idea...lol

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Try hitting the "G" button on the setup. Since you don't have the original remote, maybe you muted it.

Marc

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
If you post a pix of the test grid, that would help so we can see what you're doing wrong.

This might help as well, it's a guide I wrote to assist the poorly written NEC manuals:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4722

It's written for the XG, but can be used for hte PG as well. It's in bits and pieces, just follow the document order.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
There are only two parts of Canada.

West of the Rockies

East of the Rockies.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you can get a hold of the stock remote, it may be very helpful to you, than trying to decipher the universal one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Curt,

thanks for that manual, thats what I've been using to set up the system.

Eastern Canada Starts in New Brunswick, not Ontario, not Quebec, lol

Originally I was using the projector buttons to try and set things up until I found the Philips remote and downloaded the correct codes to run the different settings, basically went from about 3-4 different things I could change to over 30(I think)

I think I'm going to contact a few local Home Theater places to see if they have any way of setting up CRT's.

I've read somewhere that there is possibly a computer based system that uses a camera to do the hard parts and then you fine tune it? any truth?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The PG Plus supports A-CAT.

It needs a camera, and a PC board, as well as the NEC PC Control Software.

You do green geometry manually, then the camera and software take over.

The system does work ok, but has to be run daily with the PJ warmed up, in a dark room, preferably a controlled environment (no temp changes).

It's virtually impossible to find the cameras or PC capture cards.

And in the end the system was probably designed to align lower resolutions only. The cameras have nowhere near the resolution required to really properly converge an HD signal.

You'll be much better off if you do everything manually. You have to do green geometry manually anyhow, so in order to do that you will have to understand all of the possible adjustments, and once you know what they do on green, you'll know their effect on the other colors as well.

You could also use the NEC PC Control Software to access all of the adjustment functions (with the exception of point convergence).

Of course the proper remote would be better.

Btw, the last generation XGs had a more capable "auto"-alignment system. It doesn't need a camera. You do green geometry, and "converge" 9 other points on the screen. The PJ then calculates the rest of the convergence adjustments.

None of the relieves you of the due diligence required oin physically aligning the PJ with the screen though.

Kai

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Sounds like the remote could be making things that much more complicated. Get the original set up remote, someone is usually selling them.

Something that may help you out is, get yourself in front of a CRT monitor. Some of the CRT monitors have the same set up. They are way easier to work with and will give you a idea how all the different controls work, it would make it easier to understand how the PG setup works.

Deron.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I think the remote settings are for a PG 9+ raqther then my 6+

not sure if that woudl make a difference or not....

·
Registered
4,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerb09 /forum/post/12918718

Well I think the remote settings are for a PG 9+ raqther then my 6+

not sure if that woudl make a difference or not....

Same remote.

Marc

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Killer, this isn't rocket science, setting up a PG. It does require reading of the manual, step by step. My forum also has a sticky at the top of the setup procedure that I wrote for those that don't like the NEC manual.

Post pictures here of the test grid if you get stuck, or post what you're getting stuck on. Some projectors are easier to setup than the NEC, but as I said, you don't need anything more than a couple of screwdrivers to get a decent image out of the NEC.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok so after talking with a guy on the phone for about 30mins I've(he did actually ) come to the conclusion that my Projector is actuallly set up as best it casn be without me ever have touching it.

my problem is I'm feeding it a CRAPPY source, I bought a Denon AVR-1707 receiver assuming that it does "scaling" when it really only does "conversion", dam me for not listening better to the sales guy!!!

so my problem persists, and now I need to buy more Home theater gear.

He said that there is a few ways to accompolish the end result...

upgrade everything to "HD quality" which would be getting a HD rogers cable box, Satelite system, etc for cable

upgradeing my DVD player to something better(with built in upconversion maybe?)

upgrading my Xbox cables to "hd"

OR

buy a budget minded scaler and sell my transcoder if the scaler has built in VGA output.

so what buudget minded scalers are available that woudl have the VGA output?

theres lots of them on Ebay, but I don't know all the differences and what woudl be the best of teh cheapy ones.....lol

any help is appreciated!!!

links to answers too if you have any :)

·
Registered
4,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerb09 /forum/post/13023729

ok so after talking with a guy on the phone for about 30mins I've(he did actually ) come to the conclusion that my Projector is actuallly set up as best it casn be without me ever have touching it.

my problem is I'm feeding it a CRAPPY source, I bought a Denon AVR-1707 receiver assuming that it does "scaling" when it really only does "conversion"

so my problem persists, and now I need to buy more Home theater gear.

He said that there is a few ways to accompolish the end result...

upgrade everythign to "HD quality" which woudl be getting a HD rogers cable box, Satelite system, etc for cable

upgradeing my DVD player to soemthign better(with built in upconversion maybe?)

upgrading my Xbox cables to "hd"

OR

buy a budget minded scaler and sell my transcoder.

so what buudget minded scalers are available that woudl have the VGA output?

theres lots of them on Ebay, but I don't know all the differences and what woudl be the best of teh cheapy ones.....lol

any help is appreciated!!!

links to answers too if you have any :)

Personally, I would skip the scaler all together and get the following to get you started.

1. HD Fury http://www.curtpalme.com/HDFury.shtm

2. RTC-2200 transcoder http://www.curtpalme.com/RTC2200.shtm

3. Toshiba HD-A2 (no need to post a link but these can be had for under $100 now and will get you 1080i upscaled DVD which looks great as well as being able to play new HD DVD titles in 1080i or 720p.)

On that projector, 1080i is going to be the sweetspot and I would run all sources at that resolution. The Crescendo Systems transcoder will get you the much needed gamma boost that NEC's benefit from as well as being the best transcoder you can buy. The HD Fury gets you ready for HDMI sources like the Toshiba HD DVD players or the Blu Ray players. If you don't want to invest in a new HDMI switching receiver then just get an external HDMI switcher from Monoprice.com and run your audio via optical or coax connection. If you do want to upgrade your receiver then I suggest the Onkyo TX-SR605 or 705 models. I have the 705 with all of these other components I mentioned and they work great. The Onkyo 605 will get you into an entry level HDMI switching receiver with all of the new surround modes like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA.

There are endless options but the most important thing right now is to feed your projector a good HD 1080i source either from an HD DVD or Blu Ray player or from an HD cable or sat box.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm really hesitant to buy any HD/Blu ray systems right now as it doesn't appear that either has a good grasp on "the market" and fear for a "beta/vhs" war where the end results me with a $250 paper weight....

but maybe thats just me...lol

I'm thinking that a scaler may still be a cheaper alternative to buying everything again, and a used scaler seems to put me right in about $200-400 range for something to do 780 scaling.

I will definitly be upgrading teh DVD player as it's a hunk of crap that cost $40 5 years ago....lol

IO have a thread going in teh "video processors" section as well on which one to get, I found a few from DVDO that appear to be older but I'm not concerned with age more functionality and suiting my needs.

thanks again for everyones help!!!

·
Registered
4,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerb09 /forum/post/13036274

I'm really hesitant to buy any HD/Blu ray systems right now as it doesn't appear that either has a good grasp on "the market" and fear for a "beta/vhs" war where the end results me with a $250 paper weight....

but maybe thats just me...lol

I'm thinking that a scaler may still be a cheaper alternative to buying everything again, and a used scaler seems to put me right in about $200-400 range for something to do 780 scaling.

I will definitly be upgrading teh DVD player as it's a hunk of crap that cost $40 5 years ago....lol

IO have a thread going in teh "video processors" section as well on which one to get, I found a few from DVDO that appear to be older but I'm not concerned with age more functionality and suiting my needs.

thanks again for everyones help!!!

Again, this is just my opinion but I'm not sure why anyone would want a scaler at this point unless you were doing custom resolutions or something. Also, I agree concerning the uncertainty of HD DVD and Blu Ray but at under $100 for an HD player where is the risk? You could have both HD DVD and Blu Ray for the same or a little more than what you are considering for a scaler. All the scaler is going to do is make crappy sources look slightly better. Why not feed your projector with the best available sources right now.

HD Cable box or PVR -minimal montly charge from your cable company

HD DVD player -$100 or less right now.

Blu Ray player -$300 to $400 right now.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Get the component to vga transcoder with gamma....and an HD-DVD player. Who cares what the future holds if you only invest $150?

My dad paid $1100 for a Beta in 1982...so $150 today is nothing!

If you want a scaler, you might do well to just get a DVDo Iscan pro or HD...but Dropzone is right...heed his advice!

Ben

1 - 20 of 37 Posts