AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a complete newbie but am setting up a home audio system. I have a Denon 1400 AVR. I plan to do a dobly atmos setup in a 5.1.2 configuration, mounting 2 speakers in the ceiling. I know 5.2.4 is optimal but I cant afford a 9.2 channel AVR at this time.

Im looking for a set of wired speakers and sub recommendations that would give me good bang for the buck with sound quality. Looking to spend under 1k. Does this limit my options too much?

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Im a complete newbie but am setting up a home audio system. I have a Denon 1400 AVR. I plan to do a dobly atmos setup in a 5.1.2 configuration, mounting 2 speakers in the ceiling. I know 5.2.4 is optimal but I cant afford a 9.2 channel AVR at this time.

Im looking for a set of wired speakers and sub recommendations that would give me good bang for the buck with sound quality. Looking to spend under 1k. Does this limit my options too much?
Well, a bit, it really depends. But as an example of what you can get - SVS is currently offering the SB12-NSD sub for $400.00. You're AVR has dual sub outs, you could do 2 of these babies and splurge a bit more for a pair of the RSL C34E, put you $50.00 over budget, but both companies have pretty generous trial and return policies if you're not happy. Both great companies with great customer service too. Just one example I think that gets you what I would call "bang for the buck". I'm a huge proponent of dual subs. Similarly, you could stick with those 2 RSL speakers and look at a single sub like the HSU VTF-3 MK5 which is, in my opinion, a LOT of quality sub for the dollar. Still puts you a bit over budget, but not by too much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks those RSL are exactly the type of thing im looking for in ceiling speakers and are in my price range. That Mk5 sub is hefty for me in price but ill check out the other sub. I may start with one sub and upgrade down the road. Should I stick with the same sub model/brand for front and back? I assume better to have one higher quality sub than two cheaper ones?

For front, center, and rear speakers I went for the Sony cores that were on sale

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Thanks those RSL are exactly the type of thing im looking for in ceiling speakers and are in my price range. That Mk5 sub is hefty for me in price but ill check out the other sub. I may start with one sub and upgrade down the road. Should I stick with the same sub model/brand for front and back? I assume better to have one higher quality sub than two cheaper ones?
Don't think of the subs so much as one "expensive" vs. "two cheaper" - think of them in terms of performance. One well-placed "big" sub might be all you need! The advantage of of two subs is the smoothing of the bass response across a wider area of listening positions. Problem can and often is proper placement of sub(s)! The biggest you can go for your wallet and the space (there are of course practical limits, and you do not need a MASSIVE sub for a small space, of course!) is what I recommend.

But yes - generally speaking, it's a good idea if you are doing multiple subs, to make them the same ones. Starting with one is perfectly fine, especially from a budget stand point. And if you like, it you like it! :) If it is primarily you doing the listening, placement is easier - put it where it sounds best to you in your spot. But if you move around a lot, or have lots of seats in the room, you'll notice the bass changing as you move around from place to place. And if that is an issue, then go dual and it will help you out. Lower frequencies are a big part of the HT experience, and you will not regret investing in them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts