AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
20,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd share this info RZ posted about the upcoming shootout Sept. 12th. The more the merrier. Now without further ado...

Robert Zohn;19280771 said:
Value Electronics’ 17th annual TV Shootout® Evaluation event will be Sunday, September 12th from 9 AM to 5 PM ET. On the following day, for the very first time we will be having an UST projector Shootout, Monday, September 13th, from 10 AM to 5 PM ET.

The 2021 flagship 4K and 8K TVs and UST projectors will be competing with a detailed comparison of all the attributes of picture quality. The winners will be crowned "King of 4K TV,” “King of 8K TV,” and "King of UST."

Attendance is very limited this year with only judges, presenters, and select media being invited to attend in person. The entire two days will be live webcast on http://www.YouTube.com/sparechange.

The TV Shootout live podcast that will start Sunday, September 12th at 9am ET.

The 1st UST Projector Shootout that starts at 10am ET this Monday, September 13th.

Detailed results on VE’s Facebook page:

Hisense L9G projector - King of UST projectors

·
Banned
503 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
It will be pretty interesting, they will calibrate to like 100 nits right? And from there, in a pitch black room they will test for blooming, black level, contrast, viewing angle and screen uniformity.

I am really interested as to which technology will win!! Will definitely check this out :)

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Mainly interested in how the Dual Cell LCD will perform and how people will feel about it. btw it will also be reviewed by Rtings. Within the consumer TV market Dual Cell LCD is LCDs only hope for greatness...

Robert is still waiting for the TV to arrive..lets hope that it is there in time..lol

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
***Would have liked to see far more UST projectors in the lineup including the new BenQ V7050i. I have zero interest in any 8K products. The Dual Cell LCD sounds interesting but no large panel sizes makes this a futures offering for me. Still - - always nice to see Robert and VE push the envelope every year.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It will be pretty interesting, they will calibrate to like 100 nits right? And from there, in a pitch black room they will test for blooming, black level, contrast, viewing angle and screen uniformity.

I am really interested as to which technology will win!! Will definitely check this out :)
Pretty sure they will test hdr material too which will max out panel brightnes Within the TVs accurate setting.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Pretty sure they will test hdr material too which will max out panel brightnes Within the TVs accurate setting.
I don't think they will allow the Samsung or Hisense to use their maximum HDR potential. It will be content graded to 1000 nits at the very most.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I don't think they will allow the Samsung or Hisense to use their maximum HDR potential. It will be content graded to 1000 nits at the very most.
Lol you obviously haven't seen past shootouts and think they have some bias against LCD. They've had HDR content for years, the Spears and Munsil disc is used, Aquaman was one of the reference discs used in recent years and that has some very high luminance color scenes. Some of the awards in past shootouts, besides best overall tv, are best living room (bright room) tv, best for movies and best for gaming.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
580 Posts
Lol you obviously haven't seen past shootouts and think they have some bias against LCD. They've had HDR content for years, the Spears and Munsil disc is used, Aquaman was one of the reference discs used in recent years and that has some very high luminance color scenes. Some of the awards in past shootouts, besides best overall tv, are best living room (bright room) tv, best for movies and best for gaming.

I saw some posts showing that they removed some tests in which OLED did not have a definitive advantage, it was in 2018 and then changed. I have to see which one it was

·
Registered
580 Posts
Why would they care which panel or technology "wins"? Especially when they sell TVs other than OLED.
You should be asking them. "What was your reason for removing aspect x or y from the testing criteria?"

'near black uniformity' for example is something that people on this very forum swap their displays multiple times over until they accept it. Those people care at least :)

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
You should be asking them. "What was your reason for removing aspect x or y from the testing criteria?"
Why would I do that? I don't rely solely on Value Electronics to make a decision for me.

'near black uniformity' for example is something that people on this very forum swap their displays multiple times over until they accept it. Those people care at least :)
Then they should do their own research and shootout.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It would be funny if they put a Pioneer Kuro plasma or Panasonic ZT60 in the contest using a video with lots of motion and one of those won the contest.

·
Registered
15,882 Posts

Not sure how you can claim the US shootout dropped certain parameters to make LEDs look better. Yes, the top-of-the-line Sony LED did well, but the top-of-the-line Samsung QLED did very poorly on those same parameters. Not exactly a clear advantage for LEDs on those dropped parameters.

Edit: And OLEDs also come out on top every year in the EU shootout as well (performed with a totally different methodology and with different parameters than the US shootout).

·
Registered
870 Posts
It would be funny if they put a Pioneer Kuro plasma or Panasonic ZT60 in the contest using a video with lots of motion and one of those won the contest.
It would obviously win the motion category (and near black/off-axis viewing) but it would handily lose overall to the OLEDs.

This isn't about your post but every year LCD fans claim some sort of bias, as if it's biased to test for reference standards: dark room SDR at 100 nits, dark room HDR (reminder that HDR is meant for dark rooms and has no way of compensating for a bright environment while maintaining accuracy, unlike SDR). Contrast is well established as a critical PQ attribute, etc.

Claiming that "of course OLED wins when you test which tv can get closest to the reference standard/accuracy" is biased is really incriminating. Hate to have these people as my lawyers in court.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts

Last few years in Europe as well as USA Shootout they have been using OLED monitors as reference (which at some point will be replaced by Dual Layer LCD monitors, which might happens this year or next year for first time, something which Sony themselves already did) so this is beneficial for OLED TVs.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I saw some posts showing that they removed some tests in which OLED did not have a definitive advantage, it was in 2018 and then changed. I have to see which one it was
You are now attacking the honor of a person whom you do not know. I do know him. Personally. Robert has far, far too much integrity to behave as you've suggested. You speak from ignorance, not knowledge.

In years where they've had to throw out some test result (and that has happened) I've watched them privately agonize over what to do upon realizing the test was inherently and uncorrectably flawed, worry over what conspiracy theories some paranoid know-it-alls on the internet would dream up over it, and finally make the decision, in the interest of honesty, to cut the test and explicitly tell attendants why they did it. You have no concept of how much behind-the-scenes work and back-and-forth goes into these shootouts over designing the absolute most accurate tests. I do because I have been there in the room while they've done all their prep work weeks before the event.

Your comment flirts with libel.

·
Registered
580 Posts
You are now attacking the honor of a person whom you do not know. I do know him. Personally. Robert has far, far too much integrity to behave as you've suggested. You speak from ignorance, not knowledge.

In years where they've had to throw out some test result (and that has happened) I've watched them privately agonize over what to do upon realizing the test was inherently and uncorrectably flawed, worry over what conspiracy theories some paranoid know-it-alls on the internet would dream up over it, and finally make the decision, in the interest of honesty, to cut the test and explicitly tell attendants why they did it. You have no concept of how much behind-the-scenes work and back-and-forth goes into these shootouts over designing the absolute most accurate tests. I do because I have been there in the room while they've done all their prep work weeks before the event.

nice try

contrast will always be infinite for oled screens. Near black might remain problematic, but could improve?
It would be interesting and of value to see how certain expects will improve. Comparing year over year. Instead of throwing them out and keeping the boring ones. OLED contrast is infinite in 2015 and will be infinite in 2035 should they not have switched to microled

Edit: We already know Sony in most aspects makes the best TVs, be it OLED or LCD. To have some categories in which Samsung can show improvement or gain a win should be interesting. If we want to see which OLED is the most OLED I can spare you the shootout: it’s Sony

·
Registered
359 Posts
nice try

contrast will always be infinite for oled screens.
You seem not to understand the most fundamental charge I am making. I'm not concerned with your constant trash-talking and braggadocio; that's just the nature of the internet nowadays, I figure. My fundamental point is this:

Stop attributing shady motives to someone whose motives and character you do not know.

Edit: We already know Sony in most aspects makes the best TVs, be it OLED or LCD. To have some categories in which Samsung can show improvement or gain a win should be interesting. If we want to see which OLED is the most OLED I can spare you the shootout: it’s Sony
Except when it isn't. I was there the year LG won the shootout. I was there in the room with some half dozen LG engineers all the way from South Korea. I saw them go nuts when they won and I spoke with an LG rep who explained to me how long and hard they had worked on that project and how badly they wanted to win that shootout. Every single year, Samsung and LG both very much want compete with Sony for top dog. Their reasons are different from Sony's: for the Korean companies, winning the shootout is a thing of company pride and an expected halo of success that will help sell more of their mid-level TVs. For Sony it's more like this is all they've got: they don't sell much mid-level stuff. Never underestimate how important winning these shootouts--American and European--is to each and every TV manufacturer. Even the Chinese companies are trying to do it now and they're not being casual about it.

1 - 20 of 221 Posts