AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy a Barco 1208 in "good" condition with no accessories. Is this a well regarded projector ? And if something is extremely wrong with it, does anyone know a middle or worst case price for a fix ? It's a business liquidation.

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
The condition of the tubes is everything. If the tubes are good with no burns and a low hour unit it should be worth $3500+. With bad tubes its worth much less. I would think $1000 or maybe less if it need all three tubes. The BG-1208 was the flagship of the 8"Barco's. It is 1250 lumens and will scan up to 135 Khz it also has great RGB bandwidth, all digital controls. If you can turn it on and check the hours and the CRT condition, it would be a great plus.

Mike

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Not to nitpick, but if you're buying from a situation like you describe, you shoud pay as little as possible. This is especially true if you can't thoroughly inspect it, power it up and put a source to it. Any projector might have a HVPS problem or burned tubes. If both of these are bad, it will be a big boat anchor too expensive to repair unless you are very handy. If you can inspect it in an in depth way, and it doesn't appear to suffer any problems, you should determine a wise price by allocating enough money to substiute for a dealers backup. If you consider this, you will only pay a couple thousand, even if its in great shape. IF you are a gambler, and you'll do all repairs yourself, go ahead and blow a big wad, just remember, you'll have no recourse if it does turn out to be a boat anchor.

All buying advice can be taken with a grain of salt too though, because we all have different opinions of what constitutes a good deal.

1208's are considered one of the best pj's but if you had a worst case scenario for repair and went through a certified Barco dealer, rapairs could easily top $10,000.($2,000.-$3000. per official Barco replacement tube +$1000.+ per board). Official Barco parts are VERY expensive(as are most official replacement parts).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I'm committed to buy it for $250. Anyone know any good service guys in the Albany, NY (I'm actually north of Saratoga Springs) area ? AVS, how far out do you guys range / can you recommend anyone out this far east ? Thanks !

·
Registered
265 Posts
In case you don't fix it, and want to part it out, I'll buy the Horizontal Deflection board.

·
Registered
23 Posts
And I'll buy the green tube if it's good! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.