AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new home last year and am finally getting around to setting up a basement home theater. The previous homeowner ran four surround channels. Two of those wire runs are coming out of the ceiling right now, and I'm wondering if it is worth keeping them as my first step down there is to get the ceiling painted and some drywall repair done.

The ceilings are 9', and these two "rear surrounds" would be about 9' behind the main seating area. The seating is about 15' away from the TV and this position would be just about lined up with the side surrounds. Looking at some examples, they are probably pretty well positioned angle-wise for a 7 channel setup.

I've read some posts that say they don't add much, so I'm wondering if it is better just to clean up the ceiling and stick with 5 speakers or start shopping for ceiling mounts for whatever speakers I decide to go with down there. Appreciate any thoughts.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
My rear surrounds are on the ceiling, right where the ceiling and wall meet. I have them angled towards the listening position. They sound great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My rear surrounds are on the ceiling, right where the ceiling and wall meet. I have them angled towards the listening position. They sound great.

Thanks for the input. I'll probably keep them and do a 7 channel setup. But if I were going to get the holes patched up, now is the time to do it since painting a ceiling sucks.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I bought a new home last year and am finally getting around to setting up a basement home theater. The previous homeowner ran four surround channels. Two of those wire runs are coming out of the ceiling right now, and I'm wondering if it is worth keeping them as my first step down there is to get the ceiling painted and some drywall repair done.

The ceilings are 9', and these two "rear surrounds" would be about 9' behind the main seating area. The seating is about 15' away from the TV and this position would be just about lined up with the side surrounds. Looking at some examples, they are probably pretty well positioned angle-wise for a 7 channel setup.

I've read some posts that say they don't add much, so I'm wondering if it is better just to clean up the ceiling and stick with 5 speakers or start shopping for ceiling mounts for whatever speakers I decide to go with down there. Appreciate any thoughts.
FWIW, here's my thoughts. Think it through based on known fundamentals of surround sound. Good surround sound absolutely depends on proper speaker placement. Height, angle, distance are all important because surround is recorded and engineered to come from those locations in order to be accurate and aurally move back, forth, to your sides and around the listening positions. So the question is when all is done and you're enjoying your setup, how important (or more importantly) how irritated or satisfied are you going to be if you've compromised any of your speaker locations and the engineered coherency of the "surround effect"? ....ie sounds that are supposed to aurally travel around and behind you that come from above instead of behind or beside as prescribed? Those are just my thoughts, but I'm super critical about getting surround sound right simply because it just sounds so much better when the speakers are placed where the sound is engineered to come from. So in a nut shell, my thoughts are not a lot of content goes to the rear speakers, so if you can place them (or even just one) at the proper height, distance and angle as Dolby/THX prescribes then go for it, if you can't place them as prescribed why do it? The more systems I see and hear, the more obvious it's become that as channels are added to any system, proper placement of all the speakers becomes even more critical to keep from screwing-up accurate surround sound. Good Luck.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,406 Posts

I'd say properly setup 5.1 is better than improperly setup 7.1. The rear surrounds do very little to nothing for the main listening position. It's really better when you have multiple rows of seating where the first surrounds might be in front of the rear row of listeners. If you're every going to go Atmos, having those rear surrounds up high will be very detrimental. I suggest try 5.1. You can always add the 2 speakers in back later if you feel its lacking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts