AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
JVC NZ9,LRP, SI PW 150", MX160, M.L. 535H, Meridian 559, 2 x Sherbourne 2-160, REVEL Studio2 + surrs
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good mate of mine has a still new in the box Sony VW100 he never got around to installing. I am trying to give him some guidance on what he could expect to get via ebay. He has been told by one local retailer it's worth $A5000-7000 ($US 4000-$5600). IMHO, this value is on the high side vs what the current and superior alternative cost..I just want him to have a realistic expectation

· Premium Member
16,974 Posts
I know someone who sold his used in mint condition for $1500. Mine went for $1000 with an extra lamp. Not sure what a nib would bring at this late timing for that product. Most people on the internet are price savvy so you will probably do better locally to someone not necessarily on the net nor up on the latest technology but someone who would appreciate a good picture.

· Premium Member
JVC NZ9,LRP, SI PW 150", MX160, M.L. 535H, Meridian 559, 2 x Sherbourne 2-160, REVEL Studio2 + surrs
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger /forum/post/16845325

I know someone who sold his used in mint condition for $1500. Mine went for $1000 with an extra lamp. Not sure what a nib would bring at this late timing for that product. Most people on the internet are price savvy so you will probably do better locally to someone not necessarily on the net nor up on the latest technology but someone who would appreciate a good picture.

Alan, thanks for your advice. It's much more along the lines of what I have been getting at with my friend. I was able to show him yesterday. It's a tad hard as he's the sort of guy who respects my advice and guidance regarding A/V gear, but can be swung by other opinions. In this case a former client of his, who owns a hifi store and had 'asked around' for him, because he wasn't really sure himself. Anyway, if he wants to put too high a reserve on ebay and waste time/money trying to sell it, I can rest assure I did my best to help.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Unfortunately the biggest value of the projector is the unused lamp.

I am not familiar with the tax laws "down under", but if he can donate the VW100 without the lamp to a charity, take a tax write off and then sell the new lamp on ebay. Should be able to get $650 to $700 for it.

I have a VW100 in the box sitting in storage right now. It has 700hrs on it. I would feel very lucky if I could sell it for $1K to 1.2K for it.

If I could bring myself to it, I would just pull the lamp, and donate the chassis to the local charity or dump it at the local E waste recycling station.

It is so sad that High tech cutting edge equipment turns into outdated and for the most part unwanted equipment so fast.

There is always the chance that you might find that one person that wants a home theater. Just keep the screen size down to 100" diagonal with the projector as close to the screen as possible to keep the brightness up. The picture should look just fine.

Good Luck

· Registered
634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT /forum/post/16845149

A good mate of mine has a still new in the box Sony VW100 he never got around to installing. I am trying to give him some guidance on what he could expect to get via ebay. He has been told by one local retailer it's worth $A5000-7000 ($US 4000-$5600). IMHO, this value is on the high side vs what the current and superior alternative cost..I just want him to have a realistic expectation

See if the local retailer will buy it from him at half that...I think it would be a good deal on his end...

lol

· Registered
12,276 Posts
I think the problem isn't now the new/used factor...it's the age and the fact that there are better units for less money that are current. As Alan said, most go from $1000-$1500 used (depending on condition)...but I would doubt you'd get much of a premium just because it is "new"...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.