AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
I would pay:

MSI K9A2 Platinum: $80 (old, but still good for the latest AMD processors)

AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.8GHz: $90 (good for CPU intensive tasks)

DDR2 8GB: $140 (4GB is enough)

CORSAIR HX1000W: $160 (good for a CrossFireX gaming system, overkill for HTPC)

GeForce 8800 GT: $60 (outdated)

Pioneer DVR 213-LS: $15

Zalman HD160: $240 (if it is in a good condition)

Windows Vista?: $50 (Home Premium?)

Total: $835

I would:

- Sell 4GB RAM (+$70)

- Sell HX1000W (+$160) and buy VX450W (-$55)

- Sell 8800 GT (+$60) and buy HD 5670 (-$90)

- Buy Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit OEM (-$105)

But you can build a similar system with the latest components in the same price range.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
It is way overkill for standard htpc, unless you plan to game with it.

Most of us want something quiet and that uses little power since a lot of us keep them on all the time.

IMO, look elsewhere, if only becuase you need to add a tv tuner or two and that 500g hardrive will get eaten up quick if using it as a dvr.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/18269876

This made me laugh a little. If you're going to tell him to sell a card at least give him a better reason.

8800GT

-------

- More powerful gaming card despite being older.

- CUDA

- PurevideoHD VP2 H.264 decoding & VC1 accelerration

- DX10.1

- Consumes more power

- No HD Audio Codec over HDMI (5.1DD & 5.1DTS only via toslink)

-----

- ATI Stream Processors are all but obsolete for anything other than graphics acceleration

- UVD2 H.264, VC1, & MPEG2 decoding

- DX11. Nice feature but performance of this card makes it unusable

- Consumes signifigantly less power which is great for an HTPC

- HD Audio over HDMI (Dolby TrueHD, & DTS-MA)

The 8800 will be more than adequate for what you are looking for.

The 5670 has a few perks but you likely wont ever notice the difference.

If I were buying *new* because I didn't already have a video card I'd go the route of the 5670 but if you dont want to hassle with selling existing components there's no reason to switch.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 /forum/post/18270229

The 8800 will be more than adequate for what you are looking for.

Of course it depends on *you* if this claim is true or not.
8800 GT is almost OK for video, but perfectly fails in meeting the requirement of BD playback in audio:

- No support for TrueHD/DTS-HD

- No support for multichannel LPCM

Your HDMI audio is limited stereo LPCM, DD and DTS from onboard audio codec with 8800 GT. If you have *adequate* audio equipments in your theater room, perhaps you would want to replace 8800 GT with a Radeon HD 5xxx. Of course I don't know about the op.

Another factor of consideration is power consumption and noise.

- 8800 GT: 35W at idle, 40W at video playback

- HD 5670: 14W at idle, 20W at video playback

Most early 8800 GT cards have a single-slot fan that tends to be noisy compared to quieter 2-slot fans in the current trend of quiet systems (such as the Sapphire HD 5670 I mentioned). If you want an near-silent system, perhaps you don't want to have such a 8800 GT card. Again this depends on "you".

BTW two points in your description are not precise (not important though):

- PurevideoHD VP2 H.264 decoding & VC1 accelerration: VC-1 decode acceleration is only partial, VP2 lacks VLD, the most demanding part of decoding (compared to the other parts of the decoding process).

- DX10.1: No, it does not support DX10.1. The first NVIDIA cards supporting DX10.1 are GeForce 210, GT 220 and GT 240, all released in October 2009.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I agree with post 2.

I believe I have the same proc in my HTPC the 810 right?

I'd pay something around $700.

You could sell the ram, downgrade PSU and buy a bluray drive. I'd also suggest getting the 5670. I just upgraded my HTPC and started watching blurays and my 5670 works great! now I just need an HDaudio Reciever

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
BTW 810 is 2.6GHz, 820 is 2.8GHz. Phenom II X4 920 and 925 are also 2.8GHz. The main difference is the size of L3 cache. 810/820: 4MB, 920/925: 6MB.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/18269876

I would pay:

MSI K9A2 Platinum: $80 (old, but still good for the latest AMD processors)

AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.8GHz: $90 (good for CPU intensive tasks)

DDR2 8GB: $140 (4GB is enough)

CORSAIR HX1000W: $160 (good for a gaming system, overkill for HTPC)

Pioneer DVR 213-LS: $15

Zalman HD160: $240 (if it is in a good condition)

Windows Vista?: $50 (Home Premium)

Total: $835

I would:

- Sell 4GB RAM (+$70)

- Sell HX1000W (+$160) and buy VX450W (-$55)

- Buy Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit OEM (-$105)

But you can build a similar system with the latest components in the same price range.

How would you know what to pay for the AMD Quad core? AMD has like 8 different Phenoms, all with different prices.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/18270331

BTW two points in your description are not precise (not important though):

- PurevideoHD VP2 H.264 decoding & VC1 accelerration: VC-1 decode acceleration is only partial, VP2 lacks VLD, the most demanding part of decoding (compared to the other parts of the decoding process).

- DX10.1: No, it does not support DX10.1. The first NVIDIA cards supporting DX10.1 are GeForce 210, GT 220 and GT 240, all released in October 2009.

Tomato, tomatoe...it's all the same

In my head I was equating the word "decode" to meaning 100% offloading and "accelerate" to less than 100%.

You're 100% right about the DirectX(3D). My bad. For some reason I thought the G92/94's were hardware 10.1 but I guess not.

The way I read the OP is that he's more of a casual HTPC'er and he's not going to be using this for a theatre room so there likely wont be an expensive reciever/decoder for the audio anyway. I understood it that he was looking for a cheap computer with the horsepower to playback most types of media thrown at it but it needn't (is that really a contraction?) be high end. Many apologies if I'm wrong

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 /forum/post/18270895

In my head I was equating the word "decode" to meaning 100% offloading and "accelerate" to less than 100%.

That's not a common usage of the term, of course. 100% acceleration is not banned.
Basically "acceleration" = "off-host".

msdn Library - About DXVA 2.0

Quote:
In DXVA, some decoding operations are implemented by the graphics hardware driver and are executed in the GPU. This set of functionality is termed the accelerator. Other decoding operations are implemented in software and executed in the CPU. The set of functionality implemented in software is termed the host decoder. Processing performed by the accelerator is called off-host processing. Whenever the accelerator performs a decoding operation, the host decoder must convey to the accelerator buffers containing the information needed to perform the operation.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle /forum/post/18270874

How would you know what to pay for the AMD Quad core? AMD has like 8 different Phenoms, all with different prices.

The Phenom quad-core 2.8GHz processors are:

- Phenom II X4 820 (95W, 4MB L3)

- Phenom II X4 920 (125W, 6MB L3)

- Phenom II X4 925 (95W, 6MB L3; released on April 23, 2009, so this is not the processor [as the system is 1-year old])

(and a business model B93). ( Compare AMD Processor and Specifications is a convenient tool.)

Then check sold prices of 820/920 at eBay ("Show only Completed listings"). Phenom II X4 920 has been sold at ~$90 at eBay.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
shoot, it sold for $500 this morning =(

Can I build a strong one that's futureproof for my needs? I like that casing as well. Please recommend parts as this would be my first time building a computer.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azyattic87 /forum/post/18273002

Can I build a strong one that's futureproof for my needs?

First things first, erase that word from your vocabulary. Erase it especially when talking about computers. And EVEN MORE when referring to HTPC's. From mine and many others experience, you'll never get that end all HTPC you're looking for. Anyone who's in this hobby knows that it is a never ending project.

Even with that said... it's a fantastic hobby. Good luck and there should be plenty of info in this thread for you in a short amount of time! I'd give some but I'm inbetween thoughts right now and am very torn on my recommendations because I can't even apply them to myself currently.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drealit /forum/post/18273393

First things first, erase that word from your vocabulary. Erase it especially when talking about computers. And EVEN MORE when referring to HTPC's. From mine and many others experience, you'll never get that end all HTPC you're looking for. Anyone who's in this hobby knows that it is a never ending project.

Even with that said... it's a fantastic hobby. Good luck and there should be plenty of info in this thread for you in a short amount of time! I'd give some but I'm inbetween thoughts right now and am very torn on my recommendations because I can't even apply them to myself currently.

This is truth. A week ago I looked at my Newegg invoices online for the past 3 years and they total over $3800. Granted there was a 22" monitor for the desktop & a Nintendo DS with a few games in there but other than that it's all been towards the gaming HTPC. What I could do with that $3800 now would make me sick....

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Although the 8800GT may be out of the current market. It still ranks high on Passmark's benchmarks test. It comes in at 48 on the charts out of 288 premium cards.

I find it extremely difficult to justify an upgrade from mine as it does more than I'll ever use in its current setup. Maybe when I move to a receiver that decodes the newer codecs I'll upgrade. Until then..the 8800GT is a helluva card for HTPC. Minus the bean counting on power usage.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr007 /forum/post/18275348

5670 is more powerful then a 8800 gt and uses half the power.

More powerful? Really? In what regards?

This pretty much shows the 8800GT/9800GT being on par with the 5670 despite being 3 years older and can be found for under $75 from time to time.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...5670,2533.html

This one says the same thing...even though the 9800GT is slightly ahead...

http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-11...enchmarks.html

And some more...

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,7...eviews/?page=5

Turn on all the DX11 features and this card makes the game unplayable at common LCD monitor resolutions.

Half the power it does use but more powerful it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah /forum/post/18275779

Although the 8800GT may be out of the current market. It still ranks high on Passmark's benchmarks test. It comes in at 48 on the charts out of 288 premium cards.

I find it extremely difficult to justify an upgrade from mine as it does more than I'll ever use in its current setup. Maybe when I move to a receiver that decodes the newer codecs I'll upgrade. Until then..the 8800GT is a helluva card for HTPC. Minus the bean counting on power usage.

I would concur.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm thinking about starting a micro-atx htpc. I have a laptop that has very good parts. I wanted to sell the laptop but only have a $575 offer. Since I was going to sell this to invest in new parts for a HTPC, is it better if I buy a used weak HTPC and swapping out parts with this laptop. Not even sure if that's possible. It's a dell vostro 1520 in the link below.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/sys/1624558529.html

1 - 20 of 39 Posts