AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to love those old Peter Cushing vampire movies when I was a kid. Scared the crap out of me, along with the Frankenstein/Mummy movies. Anyone know if there is a collection of these available on DVD?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Hammer productions...Love those films. have a couple on LaserDisc

and DVD. Horror of Dracula is on DVD.

Nicholas

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
You wanna watch a cool Vampire movie. Pick up "Near Dark"

Top notch actors and a wierd format. Stars Bill Paxton.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I know I have seen one of the best of them, Kiss of the Vampire very cheap ($12 or so) at Circuit City. Don't know of a set of Hammer stuff. Different organizations seem to have the rights.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Look on my Bad news for wide screen DVD thread, you'll find a few of them, and I can't wait to get my hands on them also. Some of them scared the bejesus out of me, but I grew to love them. In Vhs see "The Hunger" with Catherine Deneuve and David Bowie also a different type of vampire "One Dark Night" see it alone without anyone to poke you in the ribs, in the 'dark' of course, the darker the better. One Dark night was Meg Tillys debut. she was in the movie "The Big Chill" also.

Just don't get me started this is one of my major genres, there's "Wolf" with Jack Nickelson and Michelle Pfiefer with orange eyes (ooh Michelle).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anchor Bay has many of the Hammer movies on dvd. Kiss of the Vampire is available from Universal I believe as well as Horror of Dracula from Warner. You can find others available if you have a region free player.

·
Registered
977 Posts
ohbrian,

All of the following Hammer films are available very inexpensively:

The Curse of Frankenstein 1957
The Horror of Dracula 1958
The Mummy 1959
Dracula: Prince of Darkness 1966
Scars of Dracula 1970

Satanic Rites of Dracula

Also, the first three films are available in the Hammer Horror Gift Set.

Howie

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet. Those movies were great, very scary without all the special effects and zillion dollar budgets.

·
Registered
22,155 Posts
I like Jihn Carpenter's "Vampires".

·
Registered
977 Posts
When revisiting some of the Hammer classics you realize how underrated actors like Cushing and Lee have been in the past...I'm reminded of this even more so when I watch recent films like The Lord of the Rings.

Howie

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
You're missing the best one from hammer.

Dracula has risen from the grave.

But the sickest of all was Andy Warhols Dracula. I remember catching a double feature of Andy Warhols Dracula and Frankenstein which was in 3-D.

Pretty weird!

I wounder if they're on DVD?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Criterion has the Frankenstein, called Flesh for Frankenstein. Maybe the Dracula as well.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
Whoa they're both there. Flesh for Frankenstein and Blood for Dracula.

Expensive over there but they claim these are uncut versions. Who knows what was missed.

For those who haven't seen these Warhol films. The laughs alone are worth it.

I wonder if that Count Dracula is still looking for that Virgin Blood. Seems it was a tuff item to find. lol

·
Registered
241 Posts
I enjoyed the mini-series of the Stephen King book "Salem's Lot".

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.