Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Matt Lanter, Chris Riggi, Ken Jeong, Jen Proske, Diedrich Bader
Written & Directed by: Jason Friedberg & Aaron Seltzer
Music by: Christopher Lennertz
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 30, 2010

"Some sagas just won't die"

Film Synopsis:

Sink your teeth into the Extended Bite Me Edition of the hysterically funny spoof, VAMPIRES SUCK -- with more outrageous humor and bloody good fun! Becca, an angst-ridden teenager at a new high school, finds herself torn between two supernatural suitors: a moody vampire and an extremely hairy werewolf.

My Take:

I am the first to admit that I am not a fan of the Twilight saga. I have had to endure sitting through the first two movies but have no intention of seeing the third. I don't have any problems with movies/shows about vampires and in fact like HBO's True Blood although this past season left me growing tired of the shows melodramatic focus on its two main characters. I generally don't gravitate to spoof films like the Scary Movie series so I didn't have high expectations for Vampires suck. My son saw it while it was in theaters and didn't hate it so I tried to keep an open mind. Well open mind or not this just isn't a very good film. The frenetic pacing coupled along with a poorly conceived script adds up to a lackluster comedy with very few laughs. I will say that as someone who isn't a fan of Twilight I appreciated one or two of the jabs that this film took at it. I have fond memories of the consistently entertaining spoofs we saw in the Airplane, Naked gun and Hot shots series of movies. Looking at this for what it is meant to be shouldn't elicit high expectations but I'd hoped for better. This extended Bite Me edition from Fox contains both the theatrical and unrated cuts (which I watched during my evaluation), the latter adds approximately one minute to the original's runtime.

Parental Guide:

Both versions of the film contain crude sexual content, comic violence, language and teen partying.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Vampires suck comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 20 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.4 Mbps.

In looking at the numbers this isn't a high bitrate video encode but those numbers don't necessarily tell the tale. I found this to be an excellent high definition presentation that featured quantifiable high level detail that manifested itself in the form of crisply defined images with subtle degrees of texture which gave the video appreciable depth. Colors were bright and well saturated, with natural rendering and subtle refinement. Low level scenes had good dimensional depth with punchy blacks and discernible shadow detail. Contrast and brightness struck a good balance which so that bright and dark sequences appeared dynamic without discernible loss of detail. I saw no indications of compression related anomalies as the video was whistle clean.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack doesn't consistently engage the entire surround platform however it has moments where it energizes the room and reproduces the source elements with aplomb. Dialogue has definitive presence with refined vocal character and excellent room penetration. Dynamic range is very good which lends subtle distinction to low level sounds and gravity to broader ones. A large portion of the film has little need for this as dialogue, atmospheric ambience and musical enhancement is conveyed with little fanfare. However there are several sequences that engage the entire system to briefly produce entertaining and room filling sound that is measurable. This soundtrack isn't demonstration worthy but for a comedy it readily delivers a satisfying listening experience that didn't leave me disappointed.

Bonus Features:

• Theatrical and Unrated versions of the film

• (HD) 9 deleted scenes with a play all option

• (HD) 4 minute Gag reel

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc

Final Thoughts:

Vampires suck represents another edition to the spoof film genre ala Scary Movie. Unfortunately it is a lackluster entry that suffers from a poorly conceived and unoriginal script that elicits few laughs. Its debut on Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox is technically strong and offers excellent high definition audio/video quality. The rather slim compliment of bonus features does little to entice diehard genre fans to take a chance on a blind purchase. If spoof/horror slapstick is your thing this is at best a rental, otherwise, wait and catch Vampires suck on cable TV.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)

Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen

Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Samsung BD-C7900 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I've got this one coming for the weekend and now I really don't have high hopes for it, although I did like the first two Scary Movies and I've made it through the first two Twilight's and I hope to make it through the third, spoofs have gotten worse and worse it seems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts