AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a HDTV-ready TV and was wondering what I need to get HDTV signals in the Vancouver/Burnaby, BC, Canada area.

Right now, I have a Sony 36XBR450 TV and analog cable.

Thanks,

Allan

·
Registered
735 Posts
I didn't know shaw was offering hdtv. I believe your only choice for hdtv would be dss.

That's just my guess since I've been away for a couple of years.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Does anyone know if it is possible to get OTA HDTV transmissions from Seattle in the Vancouver area?

Right now the only way I know of to get HDTV is with Directv and a DTC-100 or equivelant and you get 2 channels 199 and 509, I think channel 901 is on now also but i think it is the same as 199.

Snorf

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Seattle is about 150 miles away from Vancouver, and there's at least one range of hills between them. I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be possible to receive Seattle's HDTV broadcasts here. Bellingham would be another matter - if KVOS started broadcasting HDTV it would very likely be receivable here.

The best route to HDTV reception is via satellite. The two "legal" options in Canada are StarChoice and Bell Expressvu. I find it highly amusing that lots of Canadians seem to be eager to get "grey market" HTDV service from the US DBS companies, and lots of Americans are trying to get "grey market" HDTV service from the Canadian DBS companies...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi Alan:

Bell ExpressVu offers two HD channels, an HD channel with the occasional movie and stuff like The Soprano's and Company of Men in HD and a second HD channel which offers network HD programming from CBS, ABC and NBC. That's one channel more than Star Choice.

But the best part isn't really the HD channels, it's the beautifully clear Standard Defintion signals you can get from the satellites. If you like movies, for example, you can get dozens of them all the time, most with almost startling clarity on an HD set (with DBS delivery). Cable just isn't as good.

With an HD or Digital set, Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), either Star Choice or ExpressVu is the way to go.

The Americans are luckier, they get over the air HD as well as HBO and Showcase in HD from their DBSs--lots of HD movies.

Just one more note. I was on cable for 25 years until recently. The Satellite set-up is straightforward and works like a charm. You'll have to get the HD receiver to get HD, however, and it costs about $700.

As a further aside . . . For my money, right now, after my experience with HD, I'd go satellite again, but I'd get the non-HD ExpressVu receiver with the built-in Personal Video Recorder to do me until HD really gets underway. Of course, that's because I don't watch network TV and so the network HD channel and the occasional HD movie don't mean much to me (even though I did buy the ExpressVu Dish 6000 receiver). The PVR is a terrific thing and I'd love to have it. (The only place to get it with software in Canada is through the Bell ExpressVu model 5100 Reciever/PVR combo. I don't work for them, by the way.)

Hope this helps.

Cheers. Don.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Hi, I live outside Anacortes, on the south side of Fidalgo Island. With an antenna about 80 feet above sea level and shooting mostly across water, I receive Seattle DTV marginally. Come and go, mostly go.

Except for KCPQ/Fox. I get a very strong and solid signal. That may be your only chance, but KCPQ currently is in 480i, 14x9 upconverted from their analog signal. They say they've been expecting a digital receiver from Fox for months.

Of course, this all would depend on your elevation and location. If you've got an analog uhf receiver, the station to hunt for is KONG/16. They're on the same tower as KING (NBC) and next to KIRO (CBS) & KOMO (ABC). If you get KONG, you'll be able to get KING, KIRO & KOMO.

Hope this helps.

Art

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.