AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Ok posting from my phone while I lay here getting my kids to fall asleep.

Again, had a great time.

Overall, I was very impressed with the quality of speakers we got to hear. These are top dogs, hifi, big guns. And I'll say upfront that this was the problem with the tempests. Their competition was just so good. A $100 12" woofer 2 way can't quite match 3 ways, top tier components, and advanced design. I measured the impedance first thing in the morning and confirmed with Bagby that was correct. That combined with the assembled XOers and my listening, I doubt there's a problem. The sound was consistent with Bagby's measurements and there were no holes or peaks in the response I could detect. There was a relative (to the competition) lack of resolution in the mids. They did an excellent job of midbass and confirmed its 44hz tuning. Very low. Grunty bass from this thing. A real rock and roll speaker and did an excellent job of ACDC.

The Funk stuff was a different breed from most of what was heard. Had a laid back sound, yet detailed and smooth. I'd predict a very smooth frequency response. The planar tweeter is very clean sounding. Lots of good about this speaker. Its weaknesses IMO were dynamic capability and top end snap. Loud peaks were crunched up, particularly the smaller pair. I found both pairs sounded quite similar tonally. Its obvious both were voiced by the same person. And in general the voicing was well done. Especially if you like a laid back easy sound.

To be continued.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
But it's obvious that the DIY Tempest had some type of issues as well from the frequency response posted a while ago......

Did anyone double check to make sure they were assembled correctly or figure out what was wrong? They shouldn't have 20db swings in the midrange or no one would like them. ;)

I'm not sure if the person that assembled them bought the flat pack or built their own enclosure, but I'm curious what the inside of the box looks like.
Erich, the posted FR just shines a bad light on the speaker. Those spikes are reflections, and the other two have dual woofers which reduces the reflections. I think that dip at 2khz is just mic placement causing a cancellation. The XO is 1350hz so the woofer is gonna play up to 2khz and possibly caused a back interaction at the mic.

I think its just an unfortunate measurement and subjectively the tempest is a step behind this competition. See my notes above.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
But it's obvious that the DIY Tempest had some type of issues as well from the frequency response posted a while ago......

Did anyone double check to make sure they were assembled correctly or figure out what was wrong? They shouldn't have 20db swings in the midrange or no one would like them. ;)

I'm not sure if the person that assembled them bought the flat pack or built their own enclosure, but I'm curious what the inside of the box looks like.
I didn't.give.any grading to either speaker. if I did give the tempest a grade on what I heard it would be a 7 for voices, 8 for instruments, 8 for imaging. movie would be 16/20. I wish someone else was here who had them to compare to theirs. either way I just don't think there in the class of 1099. I think its really tough for a 12" midrange to be as articulate as a 5-8" mid. just my two cents.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
The 1099,,, well what do I say about my own speaker. I wasn't gonna say anything but let me say when I heard the Funks and the test tracks I was a little concerned. In particular a saxophone track with some high frequency blast from the sax. The laid back sound of the funks made me concerned that the brightness of the 1099 would sound quite shrill on that track. Thanks so much to Donny for picking great recordings because this sounded great thankfully. My worries melted away quickly as I listened. I was however floating around in bad seats as I've heard these lots. All in all I thought they sounded great and felt confirmation that these speakers can hang with very nice speakers. So that's all I'll say.

My TMM sounded a tad bright but generally acceptable. Very smooth top end, just elevated maybe a db to high. it didn't get to show off its best quality, which is the massive mid bass capability. And like the tempest, the midrange has a hard time keeping clarity like the more advanced designs. Although I though the lower (900hz) XO in mine did retain a little more clarity. Not like the 1099 though.

The JTR 228HT. Hmm, where do I start. First, remarkably similar to the 1099. I felt a little worn out when we put these on and needed a breather after these. I had to be careful while evaluating them. They were hard to tell apart. Being extremely focused I did hear some midbass boom on a couple low male vocals and a couple of low sax notes right at the attack of the note. I think JTR tuned these high to add that low end grunt. As a result, these will have a very grunty husky low end which can sound very nice, but does add coloration to the tonality. The impedance test showed about 69hz tuning and a 4ohm load. I also detected a slight more pronounced 6-8khz range over the 1099 which made for detail but sibilance on some female vocals and other instruments. A little bit of a built in smile face eq on this speaker. But I'm being extra detailed in this comparison as it was so similar to the 1099. And as I said, fatigue was setting in. And I gotta say that all in all this is an awesome speaker. Very nice sounding. I think if someone is buying a commercial speaker, the $1300 is quite good. There is a ton of performance packed into this speaker. Dissecting what Jeff (JTR) did with it, revealed some excellent design decisions. Bravo to a speaker manufacturer who gives real specs and delivers a great product. Fit and finish could have been better.

I think that's all the speakers. What was my favorite? The 1099. I know I know. But it was really the sound I like with incredible dynamics. And I know what it can do. We were just tickling them. You can chuck anything at them and they just laugh it off.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Another thing I liked about the gtg was comparing what I heard with others. Most of the time we agreed about the sound. Just need another 6-8 of these to get good at it. In preparing the playlist I learned that for music its easy to have a wide variety but I would have lengthened a couple of clips. 90 seconds is too short. Sweet spot seems to be 2:15 to 3 minutes. Its also good to have some simple songs. Easy listening per se.

For movies I would have had a scene without any bass. Just a lot of midrange. My movie clips were good but a bit too similar. Overall I was happy since it did its purpose and gave the speakers a workout.

·
Registered
11,858 Posts
All of the following is just my opinion:

When I was at jbrown's, I was not impressed by the soundstage that the JTR 228HT's projected, its dispersion is TOO NARROW.
Other than that, I liked it's frequency response / overall tonality.
The SEOS12 tweeters had a much wider dispersion, which I found to be more "accurate" or whatever you want to call it.

So based on that and looking at the graphs, my ears would "probably" have picked the 1099 as the winner if I were there today, simply because it shares that configuration.

I think its really tough for a 12" midrange to be as articulate as a 5-8" mid. just my two cents.
Maybe that's just how the Eminence 12 sounds, or perhaps it was defective. Either way, whatever it was, I didn't like the Eminence 12 as a mid at all.

All I know is that my Celestion 15" mids sound better than it does; very much similar to the JTR mids I'd say.
But that's in a totally different room, and perhaps I'm biased because they are in my mains after all...

-my 2 cents

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
All of the following is just my opinion:

When I was at jbrown's, I was not impressed by the soundstage that the JTR 228HT's projected, it's dispersion is TOO NARROW. Other that that, I liked it's frequency response / overall tonality. The SEOS12 tweeters had a much wider dispersion, which I found to be more "accurate" or whatever you want to call it.

So based on that and looking at the graphs, my ears would "probably" have picked the 1099 as the winner if I were there today, simply because it shares that configuration.

Maybe that's just how the Eminence 12 sounds, or perhaps it was defective. Either way, whatever it was, I didn't like the Eminence 12 as a mid at all.

All I know is that my Celestion 15" mid sounded better than it does; very much similar to the JTR mids I'd say.
But that's in a totally different room, and perhaps I'm biased because they are in my mains after all...

-my 2 cents
for music I'm not sure how the 15" celestion mids could be more articulate or detailed then the 5" in 1099 or 6.5" in the 6.1. but I'll never know until you host a gtg Shawn. how about end of September... your city is beautiful then. and I know it would be cooler then today.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks for the invite jbrown :)

I like your recliner :D

Anyways, really enjoyed listening to everyone's speaker. Especially the people. It was great meeting some people finally that are serious into these kind of stuff.

Okay... guys I'll be blunt

I am not going to compare since I have never really heard of the tracks in a live situation or during recording, therefore, there is no real reference point for me to go by.
So I would only have a preference to certain speakers and won't be able to judge based purely on the accuracy of the speaker...

Please, note, I maybe biased...probably partially because I bought myself a set from Nathan...
Personally, I preferred 6.1Ps and 8.2Ps for vocals and instruments because of the way it was presented. To me it sounds complete and smooth without loss of detail, non-fatiguing. This was also off axis as well most of the time
For the 1099's, well....I thought they were bright.

After that I didn't really want to listen to the same songs. It's just me, I switch songs a lot. The tracks were GOOD, but not the kind of music I'd listen to, however, I was happy since everyone else was :).
As for movies, I think they were a good choice for the clips. And that one with the balls was interesting.

As for movie viewing and subs,
I think we all liked the 18.2. It responded like the usual, tight with ruthless accuracy with plenty of SPL to back it up.
For the Quads, Plenty of SPL, could use some refinement. ;)

This is personally my opinion and totally respect the guys that brought their speakers. I think you guys did a great job on them.

-C2K

·
Registered
11,858 Posts
for music I'm not sure how the 15" celestion mids could be more articulate or detailed then the 5" in 1099 or 6.5" in the 6.1. but I'll never know until you host a gtg Shawn. how about end of September... your city is beautiful then. and I know it would be cooler then today.
Unfortunately my system is incomplete (to my standards), and I don't have the funds to complete it just yet.

But when I do (probably summer 2015???), you, joe and warren will be on the top of the invite list...
and anybody else who doesn't actually turn out to be a serial killer between now and then. LOL! :D
You craigslist killers better watch yourself though, I'm a black-belt in traditional Japanese Karate. (No Joke.)
You better kill me with the first blow, that's all I have say about that! :D

In case you are wondering, the English translation is:
Dojo of the way of the empty hand.
note: I'm not Japanese BTW, I'm as White as they get. Just thought I'd clarify on that point before you start talking Japanese to me or somesuch. ;)

Won the Black Belt Pan-American Japan-Karate-Federation Tournament a number of years ago (it was by invite only).

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
We will kill you with Bass. :D

Reactions: LowerFE

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
I thought you guys were going to open it up to double check everything. Seems like the only way to give a DIY speaker a fair playing field at a GTG. It should be tested to make sure it was built to the same specs as the original because the designer has no idea how the person builds them on their side. Especially if they build their own cabinets.

I've seen photos of some pretty funky builds where people change things around, or add 4 times the bracing using 2x4's, use rubber coated something for 'insulation', tie all the inductors together with zip ties 'beacuse it was easier to assemble', add so much fiberglass inside that you could barely install the woofer, etc, etc.

One guy didn't think his speakers sounded right.....his compression driver wasn't even hooked up. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I thought you guys were going to open it up to double check everything. Seems like the only way to give a DIY speaker a fair playing field at a GTG. It should be tested to make sure it was built to the same specs as the original because the designer has no idea how the person builds them on their side. Especially if they build their own cabinets.

I've seen photos of some pretty funky builds where people change things around, or add 4 times the bracing using 2x4's, use rubber coated something for 'insulation', tie all the inductors together with zip ties 'beacuse it was easier to assemble', add so much fiberglass inside that you could barely install the woofer, etc, etc.

One guy didn't think his speakers sounded right.....his compression driver wasn't even hooked up. :rolleyes:
Each cabinet had a single window style brace in it with a double front baffle. All pieces were cut on a CNC and the inside of the box was only lined with denim insulation not stuffed with insulation.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I personally didn't think the Tempest sounded odd at all, I actually thought they sounded good. Just not quite as good as the 228HT's and 1099's.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Has anyone ever compared multiple of the same to each other like three different sets of fusion 12? That could be interesting to see the small changes from whatever construction differences were used.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I personally didn't think the Tempest sounded odd at all, I actually thought they sounded good. Just not quite as good as the 228HT's and 1099's.
I have heard multiple Tempest, Sentinels and various Fusions. And I agree if you are use to speakers to the likes of JTR's or Danley's, they will certainly sound different. I would think the Tempest would sound better with music vs HT, but that is my opinion.

I am interested in the 1099's, would like to hear them someday. I also love the Funk speakers. I was looking at them in another thread and they sure are some lookers. Funny that one revier liked the smaller 6.1 better. Certainly another pair of speakers I would like to here.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Great to see people enjoying this great hobby of ours.

Anyhow, how big was the room that the speakers were played in? Did it have any room treatments?

41 - 60 of 310 Posts