AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I don't have a local dealer for these fine speakers so I would like some advice from some fellow Vandersteen fans. I am changing my system and am debating between the two speakers mentioned above. My listening room is irrelevant due to a local move in the near future so I wanted to get the best system I can. Can someone please comment between the 2CE Sig MKII vs 3A Sigs?

They are both in my price range. I was leaning toward the 3A Sigs because I typically go for overkill when it comes to my system, but the dealer I may get these from prefers the 2CE Sig MKII's to the 3A Sigs. I can't audition them because they are not close to me, so I have to order without hearing them. I also just added a JL Audio F113 for bass so bass response is not that much of a factor if that is the only difference between the two.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I also can't afford the 5A's so please don't suggest those.
I will be also adding the VCC-5 if I like them, but would also like suggestions on surrounds. Keep in mind I am not limited to space.

Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
61 Posts
Read the review in stereophile, 01/2007 (vol 30, no 1). I use a pair of Model 1's for rear speakers in a 5.1 system........2ce Sig II for front, the new vcc as center, and a v2w as the sub. The cables are very important......I use the Alpha-Core Ag1 for front and center channels. Audioquest sub cable, and Audioquest bulk to the rears. Arcam AVR350......

The sound is very clean, huge sound stage and depth. I may add a second sub.

If you have wall space, look at the VSM's.......I will most likely replace the Model 1's with them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just my two cents.

I believe the new 2CE Sig uses the same midrange and tweeter as the 3A sig. The only real benefit of the 3a would be its slightly better bass response. Given you are going to be using a sub with it, there is little point. If it were me, I would either 1) save the money, or 2) put that extra money toward a better front end, specifically making sure you have a good amp that can drive the vandersteens well. They are not very efficient so they respond well to amps that can provide a great deal of power. Also, don't underestimate their resolving power, you will notice poor quality upstream components.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.