AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My VANDERSTEEN rep came over my house and looked and liked my room I am going to use for music. 18 x 25 with a 20' sloping ceiling and opens in an L shape to the living room.

A long time ago I listened to the VANDERSTEEN 2 and thought they were weak and thin in the bass area and warmth, sounded tinny but could have been where I looked at them. I liked the 3 much better however the size doesn't work and the 5 were to much $$$ so when I saw the quadros I thought that was perfect even though they were a bit more than I can afford right now.

Anyhow he is suggesting the 2 sig for the room and the small wall mounted ones for surrounds and possibility adding a music sub woofer if the bass is not enough to make up for the low end and a effects sub for movies (which I already have). Granted this costs allot less then the quadros but I see allot of VANDERSTEEN 2 for sale is this the wrong road I'm going down will I out grow these.

Are the 2 sig a good full range speaker, and the surrounds full range and good.

·
Registered
945 Posts
First off, did you get to listen to the Vandersteen 2CE Signature or an earlier version of the 2? Of speakers that I've personally listened to, it's the best I've heard for under $2500. Period.

First off, for the subwoofer question... the Quatro does (will, I guess, since it's not released yet) have a built-in subwoofer with an equalization system. With a -2 dB point of 24 hz, it definitely reaches low enough, and the equalization can really help deal with placement problems. In that regard, I would really recommend the Quatro even if it requires some saving first. Music subwoofers really need to be added in pairs, especially if you were to add Vandersteen subs that crossover at 80 hz... at that frequency you can definitely hear some separation between the speakers and the sub if you're only using one.

As for the 2CE Sig, you would probably want a subwoofer to compliment it. It is a full-range speaker and the bass response is very well-defined but weak. Overcoming that weakness and enjoying music in it's fullest is what the subwoofer would give you. As for outgrowing the 2CE Sig, I think that would be really hard to do. It's an excellent speaker that you can listen to for hours on end without any fatigue.

Maybe you could buy a used pair of 2CE Sigs and use them without subs until you can save up for the Quatro? That might be your best bet.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I didn't really listen to the 2 sig, I did hear older versions of them. I have been looking for some used but all I found are 2ce used and I would have to get a sub and I am not sure on the sound of the 2ce vs. the 2 sig. THe 2ce I was looking at were serial 73058ce so they couldn't be upgraded. I agree finding a used pair would be the best thing or even used sourounds and center. My dealer is asking full retail with no discount so I may mail order everything anyhow. Or investiagate different brands, I really don't like my local guy.

Jason

·
Registered
945 Posts
The 2CE Signature is a pretty good step up from the normal 2CE. However, if you're planning on upgrading within a year, I'm not sure the difference would be worth it. If you plan on keeping them for a long time, I'd definitely look for a pair of the Signatures. They show up on Audiogon all the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The reason you see "so many" used Vandersteens on the market is that so many have been made--over 100,000 Model 2s according to a recent article in The Absolute Sound. My old 2Cis served me well for many, many years; I recently replaced with Paradigm Signature S8s for main listening room, but the Vandy 3A sigs were definitely in the hunt. . . .my 2ci aren't being sold, they will anchor a bedroom system. With good subs with crossovers set up correctly, the bass response can be pretty darned seamess.

Re-reading your original post, it sounds like you haven't really enjoyed the Vandersteens you have listened to (within your budget/size constraints) so why are you forcing yourself down the Vandersteen path? One size doesn't fit all. For example, many people love B&W; they leave me unimpressed.

Go listen to other speakers. FWIW, one other speaker I listened to that was pretty remarkable in the $2500 range was the Vienna Acoustics Mozart. You'll need a sub to get the low freqs with these, too, but they are small floorstanders and have a very pretty midrange and treble--and incredible imaging as they were demoed to me.

Happy hunting---Julie

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I listened to the BW and was totally unimpressed till I got tot the nautlis 803 and 802 at 5K for the 803 I thought the vandies were better. The B&W just didn't have a natural sound to me a bit bright but I would buy them for the right price as well. loved the 802 though style and everythingbut the vandies were more balanced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.