AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One lonely night in a remote military base in the Arctic in the early 1970's, I came off Eve watch and fired up the 16mm projector, mounting a film I'd never heard of - the 1971 original version of Vanishing Point. I knew nothing about it - it was merely the only film in the stack I'd never seen before.

Barry Newman starred as Kowalski, bitter ex-cop and ex-race car diver, who now has a job delivering cars. He drives nonstop from the SF Bay area to Denver and drops off a mundane car. Then he picks up a pristine 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T - the quintessential muscle car and the real star of this film. Then he decides to return without sleep, fueled by Benzedrine. The cops try to pull him over, and he won't be stopped - not in four states.

That's the whole plot. You either love this film or hate it, there's no middle ground - I am among the film's devotees. I happen to think it's a minor gem of a '70's counter-culture movie. That one time in the Arctic is the only time in my life I've seen the film, but I remember it quite well.

Last week I found a listing for a 1997 Vanishing Point. This turned out to be a made-for-TV version by the FOX network. As remakes went it wasn't bad - in fact the photography was great and the car could be the very same 1970 Challenger R/T - it is at least the same color and in great shape. However the film's setting was contemporary and Kowalski was now a bitter Gulf War vet trying to get back to a sick wife. He was played by Viggo Mortenson who is forever typecast as Aragorn of LOTR in my mind.

Try to see the original if you can - unfortunately, it's not on DVD.

Gary

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Please let me know what your post has to do with the Digital Software - all you did is made me drool over VP in anamorphic widescreen on DVD - if that was your goal - mission accomplished.:(

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i believe i heard that Fox is going to/has released it in R2.

i've never seen it but would love to.

it seems to me this, along with Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry ( with which it shared many double bills) would appeal greatly to the main demographic of dvd purchasers.

i'm really confused as to why Fox is sitting on these.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Quote:
i believe i heard that Fox is going to/has released it in R2.
Yep, it's out in R2 (Fox/UK). Anamorphic widescreen transfer + Dolby 2.0 mono in English, French, German and Spanish.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
What a great flick!

I have seen it on television several times, but have refused to buy the VHS version for obvious reasons.

ckolchak, you said the region 2 version is available in English? Where can you order it?

How do I find out if my player will handle a region 2 DVD? The manual?

I have a Panny RP-82.

Also, another great movie is called "Dual" directed by Steven Spielburg and stars Dennis Weaver. I was checking around and it is available on DVD but is sold out. Any one know where you can get this movie as well?

Craig :)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I too wish we'd see Vanishing Point released here, I have seen this movie twice, and the last time was probably 15-20 years ago.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by suffolk112000
What a great flick!

ckolchak, you said the region 2 version is available in English? Where can you order it?

How do I find out if my player will handle a region 2 DVD? The manual?

I have a Panny RP-82.
try here

i've ordered from them once before and they seemed to be good.

its probably gonna run $25-30 w/ shipping after the conversion-

however- your gonna need a player that isn't region coded and that can convert PAL to NTSC.

the 82 won't do either i believe.

the best buy in a machine like this , that i know of, is the Malata.

i got mine mail ordered about a year ago from a place in Ontario, Canada. it was under $300 with shipping.

overall picture quality i would rate just slighty under my Panasonic (it doesn't deinterlace as well).

otherwise, there are a few things about i like better than the panny.

i actually like the audio from the Malata better.

good player, i would very much recommend.

if you need the url of the place i got mine from just let me know.

i'm going to look around for some reviews of this, and if its good, or i can't find any , i'll probably order a copy some time this week.

no telling when Fox will get around to this one over here.

btw, Duel isn't sold out, it hasn't been released yet.

it keeps getting postponed.

no word on when it will show up yet (was supposed to be out last year).

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
seems that the VP R2 disc is supposed to look pretty good.

i'll be looking around for the best price and probably order it tomorrow.

there also seems to be a lot more choices in PAL-NTSC players. some seem to be pretty cheap also (sub $100).

can't vouch for their quality though, and i doubt they are progressive scan- don't know if you need that feature or not.

if you can afford it, i think the Malata is still the way to go.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
ckolchak, thanks for the research info!

Since my Panny RP-82 wont play R2 dvd's I may look around for a cheap player that will play them. Preferably something with progressive scan.

If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

Craig:)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
12.99 GBP delivered from my fave Euro supply play.com Dont think they do US shipping though...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Aww I got all excited thinking I could retire my VHS of the -REAL- vanishing point. I personally think the remake that was on fox about a month ago (and probably other times) was AWFUL. When I saw the car durng a driving scene I jumped for joy and as realization hit that 'heeey these aren't the same people from VP, and damn it doesn't look like a 70s movie anymore..hmmm, WTF' I gotta admit I was rather bitter :/ However, check out 'Two Lane Blacktop' one of my all time favorites and my wife's most hated movie. There's all of 5 lines of dialog and it stars none other than James Taylor! If you've never seen Two Lane Blacktop, and liked Vanishing Point, check it out!

-Trouble

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
First, my sincere apologies to Gary for my a$$holish reply to his original post. I was disappointed because I thought that the DVD was finally released.

After all however, his post resulted in me finding a DVD of Vanishing Point (thanks to ckolchak and digitalboy), in R2.

I have some personal attachment to this movie as well. I watched it in the mid-seventies in Communist Poland as a 15 year old boy, and watching it was like someone opened a window in a dark room - a window to America. After watching the movie I knew I wanted to escape from the Communism and come to America, where they have cars like the supercharged Dodge Challenger. Kowalski's Polish origins were icing on the cake and made the movie more personal to an impressionable 15-year-old. So come to America I did, seven years later. Never got into muscle cars, but still love this country. And this love started with VP.

The movie received a beautiful anamorphic transfer in R2 which I watched in original PAL 576p. Sound is mono and disappointing. The chase sequences are as good as ever, even as the plot seems less profound than it was 25 years ago. Still a great flick, now mostly for sentimental reasons.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary McCoy

That's the whole plot. You either love this film or hate it, there's no middle ground ..
Gary, I have to hand it to you because you got that right. VP has to be one of the stupidest most boring films ever made and having see it recently on TV, it doesn't age well at all. Save your money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.