AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...nt_blu-ray.htm

Quote:
Even with the, common-place nowadays, editing technique of excessively fast cuts - this 1080P, using MPEG-4 AVC compression, Blu-ray from Sony looks absolutely perfect. The 2.40 widescreen ratio is accurately maintained and detail is excessively crisp and clean. What I appreciated most was the film was not especially dark and black levels weren't boosted to give that ultra-heavy contrast look we see often in high-definition transfers. The final product is about as competent as I have seen from Blu-ray (owning about 100 discs). It approached the 3-dimensional look that BRD tends to strive towards but I'd preferably just say that the image is simply flawless - without a pixel out of place. I noted no intrusive noise, it is expectantly super clean, and it strikes me as a definite bona-fide reason for the existence of this new format for home viewing. It is a stunningly pristine and consistent image.
Quote:
The Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track appears to equal the stellar video quality with dynamic separations and subtle background riffs cascading from the rear channels. The film has some tested moments with explosions and although not a prominent part of the film experience, Atli Örvarsson's original music comes through when called upon to enhance the action sequences adeptly. There are three Dolby Digital 5.1 DUBs and a host of subtitle options including English (SDH and standard) giving the impression it may be a region-free release.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I'll give it a rental.

At least I will not have to deal with the moans and groans from folks in the theater with the constant rewinding back in the movie. Don't they check into what they are getting themselves into and paying money for before going to see a movie in the theater? That isn't foolproof obviously but I guess not as I'm sure there would have been less of that if they would have or perhaps they wouldn't have been there at all if they did.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo /forum/post/14163499

I wasn't going to buy this, but I got in on the 17.95 price Amazon was running last week. Now I'm glad I did.

Same here.

Not to spoil anything from the movie (as it's in the trailers) that explosion will be thumping your room for the full hour and a half (or whatever the run-time is)!

Can't wait to see this one in hi-def with lossless.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
My wife really wants to see this one but I'm afraid it's Hollywood preaching to me about politics, etc. I don't know if I can stomach that.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rein /forum/post/14164287

Same here.

Not to spoil anything from the movie (as it's in the trailers) that explosion will be thumping your room for the full hour and a half (or whatever the run-time is)!

Can't wait to see this one in hi-def with lossless.

The audio is the main reason why I'm renting it as I'm curious and I want to try it cause it sounded mighty fine in the theater!

·
Registered
510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach /forum/post/14164532

My wife really wants to see this one but I'm afraid it's Hollywood preaching to me about politics, etc. I don't know if I can stomach that.

+1

·
Registered
719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach /forum/post/14164532

I'm with you for sure, however this isn't a Kool-Aide 'fest like some other Hollywood "lessons" as of late. You'll be ok with this one.

·
Registered
601 Posts
It looks ok, when I tested yesterday.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by th8ter /forum/post/14164690

+1

+2. My wife liked Hitman. I meant the movie. So she may like Vantage Point too.

·
Banned
1,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/14179148

Damn, now I may have to get it... I have it in my Netflix selections...

I already have it, but haven't watched it yet. Might watch tonight unless other things happen that would be more interesting

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
For those interested, Sony has included some BD-Live special features as well (which are not mentioned anywhere on the box). Two additional features are Trick Geography and Enhancing the View (both very short and SD). A few trailers for some released and upcoming (Exorcism of Emily Rose) Blu-ray releases are available for download as well.

·
Registered
521 Posts
This movie is a Rental only. They take a 10 minute scene and drag it out for 1 1/2 hours. It may look nice but you'll be praying for it to end.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoND /forum/post/14163281

Saw it in the theater. Neat movie, crappy ending, but definately worth a look at least as a rental.

Heard the same thing. Definitely wouldn't buy this one.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I have to agree with Sludge. I saw this in the theater, and while I didn't mind the constant flashbacks and "start overs," I could sense the audience's growing irritation. About the 5th time that the movie "reset," I actually started to hear moans of digust.

Strangely enough, I was left with the distinct impression that a couple of critical "flashbacks" had been left on the cutting room floor, I'm guessing because test audiences couldn't tolerate any additional "start overs."

You'll understand what I'm talking about once you see it.

I didn't hate this movie, but I didn't feel it was all that great either. And it was pretty clear from my experience in the theater that a lot of people just hated it.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts