AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visual Apex sells some enticing bundles with their own fixed screens. For any of you that have purchased such a bundle, what is you experience with their fixed screens - the Visual Apex brand fixed screens that is.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm curious also!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've search everywhere for something... anything saying these screens are worth using
. The great price for a package deal for the PT-AU200X from Visual Apex is luring me into getting one, a 92". I promise everyone who is searching for any info on these screens I will return and let you know SOMETHING about the quality of it.

Be back in a month...

·
Registered
874 Posts
Add me to the list of tempted buyers. It's hard to believe that nobody has one of the VApex Screens that they'd like to review, especially since they're currently showing as backordered until October 20th! The screen looks like it's made pretty well from the assembly video. I'm interested in the impressions of the actual screen material itself. It is probably down to this or one of the fixed screen Elite models (EZ Screen or Silver Screen).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought one of their bundles, an Epson Cinema 720 with a Vapex 106 inch fixed screen with mount and hdmi cable delivered to my door for 1273. The Vapex screen is outstanding. It was very easy to assemble and stretch with no wrinkles on the first try. I paid 600 for another screen about four years ago and I must say the vapex is just as good. Visual Apex is a great place to do business with. They are extremely responsive to any questions or problems and they make sure you got your product.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rider /forum/post/17260228

Add me to the list of tempted buyers. It's hard to believe that nobody has one of the VApex Screens that they'd like to review, especially since they're currently showing as backordered until October 20th! The screen looks like it's made pretty well from the assembly video. I'm interested in the impressions of the actual screen material itself. It is probably down to this or one of the fixed screen Elite models (EZ Screen or Silver Screen).

they have them now -

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by q3moondog /forum/post/17218814

I've search everywhere for something... anything saying these screens are worth using
. The great price for a package deal for the PT-AU200X from Visual Apex is luring me into getting one, a 92". I promise everyone who is searching for any info on these screens I will return and let you know SOMETHING about the quality of it.

Be back in a month...

Just found a review on Projector Reviews for Vapex Screens - check it out

http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog...for-the-bucks/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got mine last week in a AE-4000 bundle. Screen was good quality, assembly took about 25 min with a friend and cordless drill helping me out. This is my first projector/screen setup and I am very pleased with the results. Blu-ray on my ps3 look amazing.

I can't imagine a screen that is double the price would be any better but I'm a newb at this stuff. Can't beat $2400 shipped for 106" of 1080p greatness!! You will be happy if you purchase the bundle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Got the 4000 VAPEX bundle.

Screen is great, smells a bit the first 2-3 days. Had a black backing so no light leakage. PQ is GREAT!!! It was nice that they have an instruction video on their site. Pretty easy to put together and hang. No pieces missing or defective. The Universal mount was fine, but instructions suck, so it took me a a few minutes to figure it out. And it doesnt come with screws to mount to the ceiling. Otherwise, I cant complain, Im all set up and at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
125 Posts
What other screens have you guys with the VApex screens used? I'm debating between vapex and carada. Or maybe a pulldown because it's going to be in my apartment living room. Can't decide.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtoo /forum/post/18069396

For those that bought vapex screen, what material did you select? Thinking of getting one to replace my 106" da-lite high contrast(love picture but bigger is always better).

we're in a rented house for the next year and I can't be without my PJ during that time so I purchased a 120" elcheapo VApex screen. It arrived during this week and I have to say the quality of the frame is dire. The brackets don't align with the pre-drilled holes! The long(er) horizontal spans require a joint-bar to make them sufficiently long and the two halves don't align correctly either.

Save your money or spend a bit more and buy from elsewhere.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just received my Vapex 120" fixed frame screen today from visual apex. It Arrived 1 day earlier than estimated which was very nice. Here is my impressions.

-Packaging-

After opening it I was very impressed with the packaging, everything was well protected, and all pieces were individually wrapped to keep them from rubbing on each other in transit. The screen was rolled up nicely inside a cardboard cylinder, and actually had packaging paper between the rolls so the screen wouldn't rub against it self while rolled up.

-Directions-

There is an included assembly paper, but it's pretty much useless, it didn't even cover some of the required assembly steps. Luckily you can go to the VA website and watch a very well documented high quality YouTube video. It covers everything needed to assemble your screen, and is only about 7 minutes long.

-Assembly-

--Frame--

After watching the video, I knew everything I needed to assemble it. The frame all went together easily, and the corners matched nicely. I had one problem( which was my own fault) as I cross threaded a screw...took me about 10 minutes to get it backed out, as these screw heads strip rather easily. So take it from me, forget the drill and just use a screwdriver..

--Screen--

I will admit I was a bit worried I was gonna mess this up, but it went really easy. It didn't require much stretching, and took mr less than 10 minutes to complete. I just followed the advice from the video, do the left side first, then right, top, and bottom last, working from inside out on each. I had a few wrinkles that I had to stretch out, and the few that I didn't stretch out went away by themselves after about 3 hours, i still have a wrinkle spot in the right corner, hopefully that goes away over time. However its not really a huge issue, as you cant even notice them from a couple feet away.

-Hanging-

Not much to say here, use your level, or laser and attach your mounts to the wall, then just hang your screen like a big picture frame. Easy stuff

-Picture-

Obviously this is subjective, depending on your PJ, ambient light, and what you upgraded from. For me, my equipment is an Epson 8350, ~14ft throw, compared to projecting on my bare wall, and projecting on my friends painted on 106" Silver Screen, it blew me away. Over both of the compared surfaces, I had the same feeling I did a couple years ago when I finally hooked up my big screen plasma to HDTV after switching from just regular cable...life changing.

So that's my impressions, can you spend more money and get a better screen surface? ...well I know you can at least spend more money, if you get a better screen....I'll let you know if I ever see one.

**edit**

One thing i did discover after stretching the screen iniatially. I do have some wrinkles in the top right corner that havent went away yet. This morning I undid all the clips and restretched the the screen. This time I pulled the fabric loops as far out as i could, then pushed the rod inside the groove, folded over the leftover fabric, and put the clip in over that. This took all but a couple small wrinkles out, so Im hopeing those will disapear over time....I'll update in about a week, to see if they disapeared.

Reactions: Stoma Kalos
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.