AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some research and found a couple of old posts regarding my question so I'm wondering if it still holds in today's technology.

I'm looking to purchase 14 awg 4 conductor OFC speaker wire. I'm debating on the 105 strand count or the 41 or so strand count ones. According to the older posts i came across the only issue was flexibility of the cable.

But I'm still wondering...

I know that electrons travel around the outer diameter of the copper, so if a 14 awg wire packs 105 strands of smaller individual wires versus 41 strands of slightly larger diameter individual wires, the 105 strand version will still have a better signal quality?

I know probably the difference between the sound quality is not noticeable by the naked ear but i was just wondering how much better is it specs wise.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts

Quote:
I know that electrons travel around the outer diameter of the copper

...then you also know that this skin effect occurs at frequencies well above human hearing.

Quote:
so if a 14 awg wire packs 105 strands of smaller individual wires versus 41 strands of slightly larger diameter individual wires, the 105 strand version will still have a better signal quality?

there is absolutely no difference in signal quality.

·
Registered
971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genner /forum/post/17020642

I've done some research and found a couple of old posts regarding my question so I'm wondering if it still holds in today's technology.

I'm looking to purchase 14 awg 4 conductor OFC speaker wire. I'm debating on the 105 strand count or the 41 or so strand count ones. According to the older posts i came across the only issue was flexibility of the cable.

But I'm still wondering...

I know that electrons travel around the outer diameter of the copper, so if a 14 awg wire packs 105 strands of smaller individual wires versus 41 strands of slightly larger diameter individual wires, the 105 strand version will still have a better signal quality?

I know probably the difference between the sound quality is not noticeable by the naked ear but i was just wondering how much better is it specs wise.

Ignore these guys. Go to 12 gauge and you wont have to deal with any potential skin effect issues that 14 gauge cables suffer. 12 gauge speaker cable can benchmark synergistic niches and deploy revolutionary paradigms by implementing one-to-one architectures.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Not that it has anything to do with speaker cables, but the larger the diameter of a wire, the lower the frequency that skin effect comes into play.

·
Registered
610 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
On Litz wire:

Large electric motors with variable speed control (electronic drive) often use Litz wire. But the electricity to the motor is far from a sine wave.

While very high current (say at the power co.) often uses hollow tube conductors or low-profile rectangular conductors.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
This silly diatribe has been going on for more than thirty years. Independent lab after lab after lab has totally debunked all this oxygen free, yogurt immersed, lunar phase aligned, color coordinated, 99.9 % pure copper alloy (an oxymoron BTW) speaker wire claims.

The big boys who run the highest powered systems you can imagine use 12 awg SO most frequently. More money means prettier insulation but that is all.

At audio frequencies and at the power levels used in HT systems, plain old zip cord of sufficient gauge will match the high dollar any day.

Those who rightfully proffer that room acoustics and placement are the critical factors speak the truth.

The only critical factors are overall impedance of the wire and current transfer.

If all this "high tech" silliness made a substantial improvement in the movement of electrons, it stands to reason the power company would have adopted the use of large scale CAT5 bundles years ago. After all, many audio philes swear that CAT5 bundled together to equal the overall cross sectional area of 12awg romex delivers more pop (WTF is that?)

If your ears are not calibrated, use the equipment that is to prove the fallacy of ll these claims.

BTW time after time standard old HD romex has been proven in lab grade studies to deliver the best performance from all aspects.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:

Not different specs wise. The skin effect, as already stated, has absolutely no bearing at all at audio frequencies, and the only thing strand count has any bearing on with speaker wire is the flexibility of the wire.

If you've got Mhz/Ghz going down a cable, yes skin effect comes into play. But you don't. It's not an issue of any kind, in any way, at all.

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater /forum/post/17028176

On Litz wire:

Large electric motors with variable speed control (electronic drive) often use Litz wire. But the electricity to the motor is far from a sine wave.

While very high current (say at the power co.) often uses hollow tube conductors or low-profile rectangular conductors.

We must have a hundred of the Mitsubishi inverter controllers at work running motors at 20Kw or more. The harmonic current generation is why they use Litz windings. Your right, these things make some strange waveforms during operation. I also have a few blown up ones in the shop. Pretty impressive. http://www.acpd.co.uk/mitsubishi-a700-inverters.html

These are the kind of things that need special cables, not home audio.

·
Registered
922 Posts

Quote:
The skin effect has practical consequences in the design of radio-frequency and microwave circuits and to some extent in AC electrical power transmission and distribution systems. Also, it is of considerable importance when designing discharge tube circuits.

Nothing about audio system circuits.

·
Registered
401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39CentStamp /forum/post/17022479

Ignore these guys. Go to 12 gauge and you wont have to deal with any potential skin effect issues that 14 gauge cables suffer. 12 gauge speaker cable can benchmark synergistic niches and deploy revolutionary paradigms by implementing one-to-one architectures.

You can use 12 gauge short cable expensive onr but if your seating location and speaker placement is not optimal ...it just won't do any good

Alain Pilon

·
Registered
2,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39CentStamp /forum/post/17022479

Like the line from Blazing Saddles. "You use your tongue purtyer than a twenty dollar whore!"

Revolutionary Paradigms! geez that sounds sexy!

·
Registered
971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apilon /forum/post/17039556

You can use 12 gauge short cable expensive onr but if your seating location and speaker placement is not optimal ...it just won't do any good

Alain Pilon

We will have to disagree on this one. I consider myself quite the expert with brand user-centric metrics and dis-intermediate strategic infomediaries. In my 16+ years of experience with speaker cable i have come to understand out-of-the-box technologies that deliver innovative initiatives.

The major difference between 12 and 14 gauge is that one is gooder than the other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi everyone...thanks for the tangent thoughts and the information.

I believe I will purchase 14awg 41 strands, save some money and apply the saving to better speakers.

Also i know this will be off topic....but for CAt 6. networking wire.... does it make any different for 24awg cat 6 or 23 awg cat 6?

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Yes, well, maybe - but 24 is a even multiple of 6 so that should count for something.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts