AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Pinnacle Rave PCI card, and the Svideo input is just about cruddy (technicall term). So my question is, what kind of cards support component input. I know the Holo3d does, but that might be a bit out of my price range. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Adu. Actualy a couple of different ones. I need an svideo inout for my Dish Player 7200. And I would like a component input for the Game Cube and PS2.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Only component input "card" is the Holo3dgraph ($800) and is limitied to 480i input. For ideas on SVideo input, see the XCapture card thread.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
llama,

I probably should defer to the gurus on this, but... as jkaiser suggested there may be alternatives for improving your SVHS capture. Achieving better results could be as simple as trying a different card, altering your capture settings, or making some other adjustments in your system, etc.

This is probably a long shot, but you might also try some experiments with an HDTV tuner/decoder card to see if you can record your video upconverted to high-definition.

Video is recorded by these cards as .ts/.tp HDTV MPEG transport streams. which you might be able to convert to a more usable format with a utility called HDTVtoMPEG2 (search forum for more info on this).

Not sure how you'd get video into the HD card in best quality though. And whether or not it would look better than a high-quality SVHS vidcap, I don't know.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
One other thought on this...

Does your Pinnacle SVHS capture card have hardware-based MPEG encoding? (Many cards have hardware decoding, but not encoding which may deliver superior results.) If not, you might try a different card that does. Look for one that has a resolution as close to 720x480 as possible.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions! I beleive the problem with my board now is just the build qualtity. For instance, It looks like I'm getting distortation with the svideo input. Cable and everything are fine, just like the card is dropping the ball :(.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pdermody, I just checked it out and didn't notice any Holo3d boards. Do you have a link? Thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think you might notice a significant improvement in s-video quality with an XCapture over what you have now. It's got much better video quality than any other "el cheapo" PCI capture card that I've ever seen. And it's a lot more affordable at only $45!

Also, for just viewing, you don't want a card with hardware MPEG2. That's only really useful for capturing, but even then as long as your processor is fast enough there are much better options for capturing than hardware MPEG2, if you ask me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.