AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, every high def trailer I watch has a different black level. Is it appropriate that I must adjust B and C for every one I view? How do you guys deal with this fact?

I do not have a HD-DVD player yet, but when I do, will every feature also have a different black level?

Thanks

Luke

· Registered
605 Posts
Luke,

How are you watching the trailers? Is this from an broadcast source? The black level should not vary as dramatically as you are describing. It could very well be the sources are varying. Do you notice that black level varies on everything that you watch?

Also, what display do you currently own? Many displays have a dynamic black level adjustment circuit that could also be causing the problem. To fix this, it would be as simple as finding a way to turn the circuit off.

Good Pictures!

Dave

· Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Abrams /forum/post/0

Luke,

How are you watching the trailers? Is this from an broadcast source? The black level should not vary as dramatically as you are describing. It could very well be the sources are varying. Do you notice that black level varies on everything that you watch?

Also, what display do you currently own? Many displays have a dynamic black level adjustment circuit that could also be causing the problem. To fix this, it would be as simple as finding a way to turn the circuit off.

Good Pictures!

Dave

I'm watching the apple trailers on a HTPC. So are you saying that all the movie studios argree on the black levels for their HD-DVDs but when making their trailers they use every different thing? perhaps it is different 'per studio' hmmm

thanks

· Banned
20,735 Posts
Trailers are usually not the best picture quality, I wouldn't really give too much credence to them generally, they are more afterthoughts. The film itself is given much more attention, and should be accurate to video standards, at least hopefully it should be.

Obviously as any experience with DVD will show, not all films are handled well, some are not well mastered, but most are quite well done. HD content is not too different from this. You should not have to adjust per-film unless there is a particular obvious mastering problem you are compensating for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.