Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

Thanks for the tip about the THX tuning tests on Toy Story 2. That really helped me get my set converged.

Now onto the next crisis.

What in the heck is going on at the top of my image. There's an assortment of slowly changing dashes just above the image frame. It looks like the vertical blanking interval is displaying. Is there a way to adjust that out?

I searched before posting, but I only found a discussion relating to a 12xx digital projector. I didn't find anything specific to an analog 1931q.

I'm converging on a white surface because I haven't found a screen yet. I suppose it would be easy to ignore if it were falling on a black, absorbing edge of a screen.

But I'd rather eliminate it altogether, if possible. How do you remove it?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Eric

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
You will most likely notice that with CATV or even with satellite broadcasts. I do see the same thing and it is normal for over the air broadcasts. You may even notice that during a show it is present but during a commercial it is gone. I beleive this is some sort of noise but more importantly scan information that on normal TV's is at the very top of the tube that is not noticable because the case covers the very top edge.

This "dashing" does not occure with the DVD player as source or even the VCR only "air" broadcasting.

If you get a screen you will put that dashing line on the black borders and it will be close to unnoticable. I have it as over scan on the black border.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Vic-

have you been keeping up with John's (jotte) discussion about his VB50 line doubler and Macrovision?

What do think? I've seen where several have said that a line doubler running into the 1031

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oops! launched that too soon.

anyway...

I've seen a few say that a line doubler feeding the 1031q will totally eliminate the macrovision effects.

I'm confused. I've earmarked the cash for a VB50... but if I have to, I'll pay for an iscan to get rid of macrovision, too.

Thoughts Vic?

Eric

·
Registered
41 Posts
To eliminate the dash lines at the top of the screen, you need to adjust the 5 control pods under the main convergance board. They are at the rear of the projector.

If you turn these pods it will slowly cut out the dash lines and even some of the picture if you move them enough.

I openly turned all of them in the five pods cluster, but be careful of the larger ones off to the side for I did not try moving them.

They seem to react just like blanking controls, but no one calls them that.

I was directed to these little babies by Darren from HammerHeadTech, after he had stumbled across them.

I'll also let you know how the macrovision buster works, it should arrive tomorrow.

John

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great John!

I'm really anxious to hear if that cleans up the vb50s sensitivity to macromess. That could be just the ticket for my shoestring theater!

Eric

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi,

You could try 'flicking' switches a few times and see if this helps. I had some problems with this when using a scart (interlaced) rgb source. Flicking the rgb selector controls a few times allowed the projector to sync up properly.

Brian

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Interesting about that "blanking" control.

I have never heard of anyone doing that before. There are so many other pots inside these 1031Q's, who knows what they all do. I see a bunch of little yellow pots but I dare not mess with them.

Any how, I would use a doubler and go the RGBHV rought with these projectors. The other day while doing touch ups I flipped the AGC switch and nothing happened this time due to the fact I am using the RGB input (DB25). So, this is saying that macro vision is not a factor and neither is the AGC switch killing some brightness if you run RGB.

Not to mention the added picture quality if you run the ISCAN and double all of your video sources.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well then Vic, I guess I should consider getting an iscan rather than trying to go the cheaper route with that Viewsonic VB50. I don't think the viewsonic can do 'squeeze' mode... and ultimately, I'd like to have this 1031q default set to 16x9.

thanks.

eric

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
No prob Eric,

I have my 1031Q set up for a 16:9 screen but slightly different then then the norm.......

What I am doing is projecting on a 16:9 screen but since I watch a lot of 4:3 stuff on satellite I have it so the 4:3 stuff is "streached and squeezed" to fill the screen top to bottom and side to side. I hate to see side letterboxes. My line doubler has no aspect ratio change it goes by the set up of the projector.

I do have my DVD player set to 16:9 and when you watch movies that are in 16:9 you get some leterboxing at the top and bottom as you normally would however it is not as you would expect it to be on a normal 4:3 screen with about 16" letterboxing at the top and borttom of the screen its only abot 4" lost on top and bottom.

I beleive this is a deceant way to go so that in most cases you get to use the most screen area. It is kind of stupit to me to go 4:3 say on a 120" screen then when you watch DVD(16:9) you loose 95% of the screen size, you know what I mean?

At least when you go this route you pretty much keep, say most of the 120" screen size for DVD and use 100% of it for the 4:3 material as well.

Most people will have somthing to say about the streaching and squeezing distortion but it is really not that bad. Not as bad as you would think.

I think though with the I SCAN you can flip a switch for 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios, which in this case will work well on a 1031Q. What your gonna have to do though, and I think it will only work well if you have a 16:9 screen is to make the projectors aspect ratio fit the screen fully for 16:9. Then when you switch aspects on the ISCAN the 4:3 image will project in the 4:3 area of the 16:9 screen.

Follow what I am saying? I just think this is another advantage you can try with the ISCAN since your going to get it. Hoop I didnt confuse you now :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
(whew... long weekend. Had to go back to work to rest up...)

That makes sense to me, Vic. I've watched some "stretched" 4x3 on a 16x9 before, and it doesn't bother me.

I guess the only thing that has me confused is what impact do the source settings have? I was dinking around with my DISH decoder on my RPTV and switched it to the 16x9 aspect ratio. I didn't see any change on the 4x3 RPTV image. That's not what I would have expected. I expected the 4x3 image to become horizontally squeezed.

Maybe I'm all wet. I think I'll try adjusting the aspect ration on the dvd player I have feeding a test image to the 1031.

Given your scenario, I might be able to do all that and still use a VB50 as my line doubler. The biggest drawback I see with going with that viewsonic vb50 is the macrovision hassle. On the other hand, if I can get a vb50 off e-bay, I'll have not spent much on it and can afford a macrovision eliminator.

thanks!

Eric

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.