AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to buy a standalone dvd recorder, which will be used to copy home videos and video tapes of old football games. I taped the games on a vcr. I know that the quality of the tapes will limit the quality of the recording on the dvd. I recently saw a vcr machine at Circuit City a JVC which has s-video output. It was approx $100. I have 4 other vcr machines now. Question will the dvd signal be better if I buy this new machine and record out with the s-video output vs the regular rca plugs? The home videos will also be copied this way although the new ones that were done with a digital camcorder, will use the fire wire connection. Is it worth the money for the new vcr machine?

·
Registered
230 Posts
No actually. At least with the Panasonic DVD Recorders, if you feed the recorder an S-Video stream, it takes it raw, but if you give it an RCA stream, it'll filter and clean up the signal.

Go figure...

But definitely use the best quality VCR you can.

-AmoebaMan

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wouldn't that depend on the S-Video out capabilities of the VCR?

In other words, if you bought a high end S-VHS VCR, is it concievable that it would have the same type of "filtering / clean up" as the DVD recorder?

Nic

·
Registered
230 Posts
That's true. If you have a JVC 7800 or 9x00 or something like that with the framebuffer and digital filtering, then sure... run it into the DVD recorder through S-Video.

-AmoebaMan

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at the JVC model HRS2901V for $99 or the HRS3911V for $149 at Circuit City. I was looking at the S-video output. I do not think that these are the type of high quality of vcr players that you were refering to. I was not aware that there were different quality s-video output.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.