Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I pose this question due to a "scary" thread here on the forum concerning the VDC problems for Sony G70 PJs? Overheating, broken necks and limited warranty +++

The tube I need to exchange is a Blue MEC P16LNQ37BMB? The other tubes on the PJ have 1100 hours with no visible wear whatsoever. The blue is just dead? Have VDC the same limited warranty for this tube? Do Barco VDC rebuilt tubes have problems? Is the picture quality similar to originals?

If anybody have any experience with similar VDC rebuilds vs originals PLEAS speak out!

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The VDC should be fine, but the prices for a new from the importer here in Norway is not much higher than one from VDC, considered that you have to ship the crt to Californina and back plus the uncertainty if you have to do it several times.

Didnt the seller get you a new blue crt?

Per Johnny

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
The problems with the necks cracking on the G70 tubes rebuilt by VDC seem to be limited to those tubes. There has been no mention of similiar problems with other tubes. I have to say that I happy with my VDC rebuilds for my old 1208/2 Barco. I would say they are fairly close to the orginals in performance. I wouldn't say equal but pretty dang close. I have about 40 hours on the new tubes so far.

Miles

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not been able to do anything up until today... The seller gave me a better price yesterday!

The price quote I got for a new tube were ~$1000.

The VDC is ~$500 + shipping + VAT 24% (Norwegian)

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Barcorules,

Are you sure that the price is 500? I believe the older Barco 1208 and 1208/2 models used MEC 180DVBs and those are $495 from VDC. The newer Barco like yours used a newer MEC tube that was something like PT-xxx. I believe those are $695 from VDC. There were also SOME Barco 1208s that had Sony tubes in the middle of the production (just to confuse things a little more). So you better make sure they are quoting you the right price for the right tube. Rebuilts are probably going to be somewhat less reliable and have somewhat less quality than the originals. Just how much less is a matter of intense and endless debate here and has never really been answered. I will say that a rebuilt tube will be better than half as good as a new tube but there will be a difference. If it were me, I would go for rebuilt for half the price. However if the difference got closer say a $250 or so, I would probably lean toward new. In my case, on my low budget, I needed to replace two tube so rebuilt was the only option. I am happy and I believe I got my money's worth. Oh and VDC does a good job packing the tubes, at least the two I received.

Miles

·
Registered
384 Posts
Miles -

Some 1208s/2s are reportedly using PT18-205s, which are $695, but some are being found with P16LNQs, as the original poster indicated he had. The latter can be used as replacements for the PTs, according to past posters on the topic (and told to them by Barco) and are $495. - Pat

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
tubesguy,

Thanks for the clarification. Good to know in case I ever decide to upgrade to a newer 1208. It is amazing how many different types of CRTs one model line of projectors can have.

Miles

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
According to Barco the PT18.. and the P16LNQs are identical. I have seen 1208s/2 with orignal crts where 2 are labeled PT18.. and 1 are labeled P16LNQ and vice versa. I dont know for sure - is there anyone with a definitive answer?

Per Johnny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.