AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I reported a while ago in this article on LinuxTECH.NET, it looked like Adobe was working on adding VDPAU support to the Flash plugin.

I just checked the latest 10.2 beta of the Flash plugin and found the following:

Code:
Code:
$ strings libflashplayer.so|grep -i vdpau
H264 - VDPAU - CPU
H264 - VDPAU - VDPAU
libvdpau.so
libvdpau.so.1
GL_NV_vdpau_interop
glVDPAUInitNV
glVDPAUFiniNV
glVDPAUUnregisterSurfaceNV
glVDPAUSurfaceAccessNV
glVDPAUMapSurfacesNV
glVDPAUUnmapSurfacesNV
glVDPAURegisterOutputSurfaceNV
As you can see there are references to libvdpau in the flash plugin code!!

Unfortunately my first tests on my desktop PC haven't shown any difference in performance, so maybe the VDPAU support isn't active yet in this beta, or maybe my test wasn't done correctly.

If you have a Nvidia 8xxx or 9xxx or 2xx or 4xx series card and are using the Nvidia binary driver (and have the libvdpau libraries installed) then please test this 10.2 beta plugin and provide feedback.

Here is the 10.2 beta 32bit plugin:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/

And here is the hidden 64 bit version:
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/l..._111710.tar.gz

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have just looked at the 64bit version, and found that the 64bit version doesn't contain VDPAU support yet, there is no reference to libvdpau in the binary, only a single reference to the word VDPAU just like in the Flash Square player released in september:

Code:
Code:
strings libflashplayer.so|grep -i vdpau
VDPAU
So at the moment Flash VDPAU support is 32bit only.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YES!!! Flash VDPAU support works great with the 10.2 beta plugin on my Atom+ION HTPC ( Asus AT3IONT-I mobo ), I just watched a couple of 1080p youtube videos fullscreen, it's perfectly smooth no tearing or stutter!

This finally makes Atom+ION boxes with Linux absolutely perfect for HTPC use, no drawbacks anymore!

This news and the HD audio support mentioned in the other thread makes this a memorable day for Linux HTPCs!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ross /forum/post/19578561

Yes, it works for me on YouTube also, but not Hulu.
I'm sure Hulu will update their stuff soon enough, though, to make it usable on an ION system.

What kind of update do they need to do? I would have thought this to be content independent once the plugin was loaded?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I was wondering if something like this was on the horizon, here's why.

There was a new flash beta released for Android for the Folio 100 tablet. It also works on my ViewSonic g-tablet, a nVidia tegra based tablet. Since Android is based on Linux, I was wondering how it worked.

I have only used the Android flash to watch sports on the ESPN3 web site. It work quite well for that. I just tried Hulu, and I get a message:
Quote:
Unfortunately Hulu is not supported on your platform. We apologize for any inconvenience.

I believe this may be because the Android browser is identifying itself as being a Mac!

I haven't tried it on my ION systems yet.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ross /forum/post/19582273

I'm not a Flash developer, I know next to nothing about it, but my understanding is content needs to be updated to use the StageVideo object instead of the Video object, as documented here: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashpla...age_video.html

YouTube says something similar here: http://apiblog.youtube.com/2010/12/a...-playback.html

As far as I understand it, StageVideo and VDPAU support are two separate things.

VDPAU hardware decoding for flash video is working right now on every web site I tried with the latest 10.2 beta plugin even though surely none of these sites have implemented StageVideo yet.

After all Windows has had hardware decoding of flash videos for a while too, without StageVideo.

StageVideo seems to be a new way of implementing flash video that will improve performance of flash video even further once web sites start using it.

I don't know why Hulu doesn't work (and since I'm not in the US I can't even test it) but it must be something very specific to the way Hulu has implemented flash video.

Since Hulu did release the Hulu Linux desktop app a while ago I assume they are a Linux-friendly company so maybe some of you US guys should contact them and point out that VDPAU doesn't work with Hulu despite it works with every other flash video site.

I'd assume they will look into it and likely fix it fairly quickly.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead /forum/post/19584210

I have only used the Android flash to watch sports on the ESPN3 web site. It work quite well for that. I just tried Hulu, and I get a message:

I believe this may be because the Android browser is identifying itself as being a Mac!

I think that's because Hulu sees Android as a mobile platform, not as a PC and many of these streaming web sites have severe restrictions for any platform that is not a PC (that's why all those media players like the Popcorn Hour etc. have such a hard time getting access to Hulu, Netflix, etc.).

·
Registered
76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead /forum/post/19584210

I was wondering if something like this was on the horizon, here's why.

There was a new flash beta released for Android for the Folio 100 tablet. It also works on my ViewSonic g-tablet, a nVidia tegra based tablet. Since Android is based on Linux, I was wondering how it worked.

I haven't tried it on my ION systems yet.

I was just flashing the latest Virtuous rom to my droid incredible tonight and noticed that there was a modified flash + hulu upgrade I could run on that rom. I didn't install it because I never use hulu, but I could certainly test it if you wanted.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackskill /forum/post/19586049

I was just flashing the latest Virtuous rom to my droid incredible tonight and noticed that there was a modified flash + hulu upgrade I could run on that rom. I didn't install it because I never use hulu, but I could certainly test it if you wanted.

I'm sure the Flash upgrade is the same as the one I have. But if you could isolate the Hulu app, I could try it. I only see references to it inside of ROMs, and not as a separate app.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It would be great if you could continue the Flash on Android discussion in a separate thread since it's not really related to the topic of this thread.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 /forum/post/19587061

It would be great if you could continue the Flash on Android discussion in a separate thread since it's not really related to the topic of this thread.

If this thread remained on-topic, it would be the only one in the entire Linux-HTPC section!

My angle was loosely associated to the topic. Tegra (nVidia) and Android (Linux) Flash. I won't mention it again.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead /forum/post/19590312

If this thread remained on-topic, it would be the only one in the entire Linux-HTPC section!

Well, one can always try to improve things...

Anyway did you try the Flash 10.2 beta on a PC with Nvidia graphics yet?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
OK, I installed it on my Zotac ION (Ubuntu 10.04) system. I just replaced the original one found in /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin with the beta.

I'm not sure the best way to test it, but watching a sporting event on ESPN3 is my test. Before switching to the beta, I watched a video. After installing the beta, I don't see any improvement. The full-screen video is still jerky, and even freezes sometimes. This is the same as with the Ubuntu installed version 10.1.

When I right-click on the video and choose "Settings", I see I have hardware acceleration enabled. It also tells me that I am using "Adobe Flash Player 10.2.151.49".

As a comparison, the same streamed video viewed on WinXP has a few hiccups, but is much better.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead /forum/post/19593903

OK, I installed it on my Zotac ION (Ubuntu 10.04) system. I just replaced the original one found in /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin with the beta.

I'm not sure the best way to test it, but watching a sporting event on ESPN3 is my test. Before switching to the beta, I watched a video. After installing the beta, I don't see any improvement. The full-screen video is still jerky, and even freezes sometimes. This is the same as with the Ubuntu installed version 10.1.

When I right-click on the video and choose "Settings", I see I have hardware acceleration enabled. It also tells me that I am using "Adobe Flash Player 10.2.151.49".

As a comparison, the same streamed video viewed on WinXP has a few hiccups, but is much better.

Obviously for some reason the plugin is not using VDPAU. Try some 1080p trailers on youtube, if those don't work either then there is something on your install that the flash plugin doesnt like (old nvidia driver, no libvdpau, old firefox, x64 install?).

If you see my first post I had the same issue on my desktop PC, where I'm using the rather old Mandriva 2008.1, while the plugin worked immediately (and very well) on my HTPC that runs Mandriva 2010.0 (with newer nvidia driver and newer firefox).

Edit: Ok I found the reason why vdpau wasn't working with the flash plugin on my desktop PC, I just upgraded the Nvidia driver from 195.x to the latest 260.19.21 driver and now the flash plugin is using vdpau on my desktop PC too.

So I think you need to upgrade the nvidia driver on your HTPC to take advantage of vdpau with the flash plugin.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux99 /forum/post/19595961

Obviously for some reason the plugin is not using VDPAU. Try some 1080p trailers on youtube, if those don't work either then there is something on your install that the flash plugin doesnt like (old nvidia driver,

Before doing anything, I upgraded everything. This installed a new kernel, so I downloaded and installed the latest ION driver from nVidia
Quote:
no libvdpau,

Here's what I have:
Code:
Code:
[email protected]:~$ locate libvdpau
/usr/lib/libvdpau.so
/usr/lib/libvdpau.so.1
/usr/lib/libvdpau.so.256.35
/usr/lib/libvdpau_nvidia.so
/usr/lib/libvdpau_trace.so
/usr/lib/vdpau/libvdpau_nvidia.so.1