AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DIY 120" heavy duty stretcher bar screen (frame stuff that artists use for their paintings, but just blow it up to huge proportions
)

Currently the screen is hung from my wall by 2 drywall screws screwed into studs. Only problem is my screen has tweaked itself. The drying of the paint on the canvas did not provide uniform tension so now a corner or two of the screen has bowed away from the wall a few inches.

I don't really think this affects picture geometry @ 120", but it still bugs me that it's not flush.

Here's my thought.

I can get 2"x30' non-adhesive velcro (er well "hook and loop") for $10 off Amazon. I say ditch the drywall screws and screw/staple the velcro to the drywall (catching a stud or two if I can). And then screw/staple the velcro to the back of my framed screen.

Granted this assumes my current wall is uniform-ish. However I can use shims and I have 4 foot level that I can use to make sure attachment points are straight up 90 degrees. It also assumes the velcro patches I use can support the weight of my 20lb screen. Knowing me I'll go over board and it'll take 5 people tugging on the screen to get it to come away from the wall.

Do you see any cons of velcroing the screen to the wall? Or any easier way to make my warped wood frame 'true' again?

Crappy pic for reference that doesn't even show the bowing, lol.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
can't you leave the screws in place and just use velcro tape to get the corners to lay flat? The material is probably dried and shrunk, pulling the corners in. Problem is stretching may cause slight cracks in the paint. I say, if it doesn't affect the picture leave it alone. Corners that are curved in toward the viewer will probably bend the light somewhat toward the viewer and that's not necessarily a bad thing anyway...

·
Registered
4,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike 01hawk /forum/post/19502783

...I say ditch the drywall screws and screw/staple the velcro to the drywall (catching a stud or two if I can). And then screw/staple the velcro to the back of my framed screen....Knowing me I'll go over board and it'll take 5 people tugging on the screen to get it to come away from the wall.

I wouldn't count on it. Murphy's Law dictates that at some point, probably in the dead-of-night or (worse) with an HT full of people, the screen will fall-off the wall and bend irreparably as well as ding whatever is underneath it.

Whatever you do, keep it screwed-down in at least two points so it never falls.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts