AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that the more I research, the more questions I have. As a follow-on to my "which SVS driver" thread, I have another question.

An SVS PC-Ultra runs $1149 plus shipping. I can get a Velodyne HGS-15x locally for $1575 plus tax (5%).

Is the HGS-15x $425 better than the PC-Ultra?

I know it's ultimately up to me and my tastes, blah, blah blah. Unfortunately, I can't demo either (local Velo will have to be ordered). So I have to rely on the opinions of those of you who have listened to both. The cost of the Velo is really stretching my budget, but if it's worth it, I'll sacrifice for a while and not go out to the movies or something.

My movie/music % is 20/80. SQ is most important, followed closely by depth (I'd run the SVS tuned to 16Hz). I want my music to sound awesome, but who can resist a good movie experience?

My room size is 15.5 x 19.66 x 8 (2437.84^3 ft.). There is also an opening into another 4150^3 ft. room. I listen to movies/music moderately loud, but not at reference levels (yet).

I'll more than likely buy a PEQ (BFD or the like) to dial in the sub.

I can't do dual subs due to WAF. It'd be cool, but I can't.

Lastly, please play nice and help me buy a great sub! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who's to say? But here you go:

Receiver: Denon 3805

Front: Polk RTi8

Cener: Polk CSi5

Rears: Polk RTi6

Current sub: Not worth mentioning

I think a good sub, like the Velodyne or the SVS, would fit in quite well. As I continue to upgrade I will eventually upgrade all speakers, then sometime in the future my receiver. By the end of the decade (maybe next) I'll be back at the sub looking to start over. ;)

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowWhat?
My movie/music % is 20/80. SQ is most important, followed closely by depth (I'd run the SVS tuned to 16Hz). I want my music to sound awesome, but who can resist a good movie experience?
Personally, I think this pretty much answers your question. The SVS can give you a little more headroom at and a little above it's tuning frequency, but the Velodyne should give you lower distortion, lower group delay, better transient response, and will give more more headroom above and below the SVS's sweet spot. To me, the more accurate Velodyne should be a better fit given your priority of music and SQ.

That being said, I wouldn't say the Velodyne is $425 better. I'd consider them roughly in the same league, each with different strong points, and part of what you're paying for is the name.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Privateer
NowWhat?, how do you like your bass? The SVS will give you more slam but the velodyne will give you more quality.
Good question. I've never owned a quality sub. I think that quality is the way to go, but I wonder if I heard either alone without ever hearing the other if I'd know the difference.

The other question I'd like to confirm is if both would do well filling my space?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin
...That being said, I wouldn't say the Velodyne is $425 better. I'd consider them roughly in the same league, each with different strong points, and part of what you're paying for is the name.
Well that won't help me convince the wife that I need to spend more. ;) A very good comment though.

·
Registered
620 Posts
NowWhat?

I can't comment on the SVS. I've never heard it. I know that SVS must be quite good because there are so many people on the Forum that are happy with theirs.

That said, I can comment on the Velodyne HGS-15X. I've had one for almost a year. Our room is approximately 2200 - 2300 cubic feet and the performance of our HGS-15X is stunning. The output is clean and powerful. The build quality is beautiful.

I'm very pleased with our Velodyne HGS-15X. :)

·
Registered
26,857 Posts
My rule of thumb is if it costs more, and you can afford it, buy it....Nothing worse than saving a few bucks on an item and then wondering if a few more dollars would've upped the performance.

When you buy the best, you're rarely disappointed.

I have owned a 15" Velodyne and found it one of the best subs I ever owned.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
You may want to consider other factors such as aesthetics, ease of placement, warranty, resale, features, parametric EQ, connector types etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.