AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tossing up between the Velodyne 5 speaker package for $199 shipped via Velodyne, and Polk CSi25 and 4x r15s (or r150s) for ~$213 shipped via Frys.

I looked at the numbers some myself... The Velodyne subs are 4 vs the 5.25 Polks***, the tweeters are 1" instead of .75", 90-22k vs 60-24k freq. response, 150w vs 100w, 7lbs vs 17lbs. The Polks are heavier, which I hear is better. They also have a wider range of response, is that better? Subs being bigger isn't much of an issue, since I'll have a phaty ass sub (BIC H-100).

I lean towards the Polks because that's a name I've always heard for good quality, but there's a lot of hype about the Velos being a good deal.

*EDIT* Oh ya, I was thinking of Polk r15s instead of r150s because the only difference seems to be that the r150s are rear firing, and I might want to put them up against a wall, or even wall mount them. Am I correct in this assessment?

***WTF. I was comparing subs to midfields, sorry. The Velodyne's don't have subs.

Help?

·
Registered
29,326 Posts
The Polks are 17lbs per PAIR, not individually. I've seen and heard them personally and there is no way 1 speaker weighs 17lbs. My Athenas are bigger than that polk and don't weigh 17lbs each.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/r15/

Total shipping weight is 17lbs which would include the box. So maybe 8lbs each? Even though the Velodyne is quite a bit smaller it weighs 7lbs. Its likely to be more solidly built.

I really don't like the r15 Polk but do like some of the higher up models like Rti series.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Velodyne:

8.5" x 5.5" x 6.25" = 292.2 cu in @ 7 lbs

1"/4" tweeter/mid

90Hz - 22 kHz +/-2 dB

Polk:

10-5/8" x 6-1/2" x 7-1/4" = 500.7 cu in @ 8 lbs

.75"/5.25" tweeter/mid

65Hz - 20kHz +/-3 db

I think I'm gonna go with Velos.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I really like Velodyne subs (eyeing one myself), but I have no experience at all with their other speakers. As for the R15's, I have a pair of M10 (which are essentially the same) and R150's. They are both great pairs of inexpensive speakers. They are crystal clear sounding and very precise (could be considered "bright" by some people). I personally enjoy a brighter sound, but that's a matter of taste. I am using the M10 as rears now and I am very happy with them. They are weak on base, but you're not looking for amazing base from your rears. You looking for great ambient sound and for detail (a bullet flying overhead etc.) Any big explosions are going to be generated from the fronts and your sub, so this shouldn't be a concern. At $49 a pair for the R15's at Fry.com, it's a great deal. You'll be very happy.

As for the R150's, you're right. They are rear ported which can pose issues in all mounting. However, I am going to wall mount mine anyway. Most of the mounts you will use are going to allow for a few inches between the port (lower right of the speaker) and wall. I happen to like the tweeter bottom, woofer on top arrangment (which is akin to the Monitor 30, which I also have and love). Anyway, for $49 a pair, ,give it a shot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.