AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience w/ this subwoofer through a demo or ownership?

How does it stack up to the competition.

-Brian

·
Registered
105 Posts
Since you have the DD-18 and a SVS PB2+ how about sharing some of your findings on how they stack up against each other and other subs you've owned?

There is one person over at audioreview who had a Velo HGS-18 and later a PB2+, but I don't believe they A-B'd it with an SVS PB2+. However, they thought the PB2+ bested the Velo.

I haven't found a whole lot on the DD series from users online. One of the only ones I recall is someone who had a DD-15 whose amp died after only a short time of use.

Not many are as lucky as you to have the opportunity to compare the DD-18 with anything, let alone something like the SVS PB2+.

How about sharing? :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Indeed, I have an SVS and Vely on hand.

I would like, however, to hear other's opinions. I'll definately post my impressions when I have had enough time comparing them both.

-Brian

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have the DD18 but am not prepared to provide an articulate review.

For now:

The sheer output is awesome.....compared to anything.. including the SVS B4.

The on-screen optimization is overwhelming at first....trial and error to the max.

Most importantly (to me) is the fact that it blends musically with the VA Mahlers as good or better than the REL Stentor I almost purchased.

The recallable settings make it the only sub I know that can be both a musical and an HT sub....simply tweak each then hit the remote to switch.

I'm sure every sub will have this soon, though.

Mine is staying.....curious to hear your opinion.

Be patient, it takes a while to get it like you want it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't have a Velodyne DD-18, but I do have a Velodyne DD-15 and a DD-12. I am very impressed with both of them. The built in 8 band parametric EQ allowed me to tune for an almost ruler flat freq response between 15 and 100 Hz, allowing me to work out some room issues that no other sub would. It is unfitly adjustable and has different presents you can use for HT and Music. While there may be some subs that provide higher SPL numbers, I'd bet money they don't come as a packaged single unit and most will have much higher distortion numbers as well. Unless you have insane requirement for a subwoofer, I can not imagine that the DD-18 would not fill your needs. If you check the Velodyne official support thread, I posted some comments there as well.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
I have a DD-18 and really haven't had the time to do a thorough tuning and calibration, but it is in a word, amazing. Beautiful to look at, too! (Cherry)

It mates very nicely with my seven Jamo D7 THX Ultra2 speakers.

Eric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.