AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ha, I was just about to buy an Optimum 10...but now something new to think about.

Might be the first time ever that WAF causes a guy to get an UPGRADE in bass.

the new Walnut finish is huge!

Ethernet connection kinda cool.
http://www.velodyne.com/news/hi-res_..._300%20dpi.jpg

I called my local retailer and they didn't know about it.

If anyone has a price list (or knows where to buy) please post.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I'm sure it's going to be a nice sounding sub, but does anyone else find it a little disappointing that after all these years they didn't see fit to give it more power than it's ancestor? I'm sure it will be priced well up there like the high-end Paradigms and JL's, but will most likely fall short on output just like it's predecessor.

Personally if I was looking for a higher-end sealed sub on a $3000+ budget, I'd be going after a Seaton Submersive HP with a premium finish along with an SMS-1. That's just me. Opinions can and will vary.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/19584046

I'm sure it's going to be a nice sounding sub, but does anyone else find it a little disappointing that after all these years they didn't see fit to give it more power than it's ancestor? I'm sure it will be priced well up there like the high-end Paradigms and JL's, but will most likely fall short on output just like it's predecessor.

Personally if I was looking for a higher-end sealed sub on a $3000+ budget, I'd be going after a Seaton Submersive HP with a premium finish along with an SMS-1. That's just me. Opinions can and will vary.

I was about to post the same. I have an HGS-18 (circa '00) sitting in the closet, and if I put it with an SMS-1 I doubt anyone could here a difference in it and this offering. I was expecting a significant change in their next lineup for the prices they ask.

Also, with more and more affordable receivers with Multi EQ XT and XT32 becoming available, I don't see the big draw for built in eq'ing anymore.

EDIT: Is harmonic distortion really an audible problem under 100hz with most decent subs today?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/19584046

There is only so much power you can pull, and we are pretty much there without the need for special outlets like the DD-1812. The redesigned cabinet and Driver provide significant gain in output over the predecessor.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse /forum/post/19584145

There is only so much power you can pull, and we are pretty much there without the need for special outlets like the DD-1812. The redesigned cabinet and Driver provide significant gain in output over the predecessor.

About how many dbs in the FR?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/19584085

I was about to post the same. I have an HGS-18 (circa '00) sitting in the closet, and if I put it with an SMS-1 I doubt anyone could here a difference in it and this offering. I was expecting a significant change in their next lineup for the prices they ask.

Also, with more and more affordable receivers with Multi EQ XT and XT32 becoming available, I don't see the big draw for built in eq'ing anymore.

EDIT: Is harmonic distortion really an audible problem under 100hz with most decent subs today?

The parabolic equalization system in the Digital Drive and Digital Drive plus provide greater flexibility and accuracy when EQing the subwoofer across its 8 bands. The Auto-EQ plus feature will also auto set the phase of the subwoofer to the optimal setting.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan14 /forum/post/19583926

Ha, I was just about to buy an Optimum 10...but now something new to think about.

Might be the first time ever that WAF causes a guy to get an UPGRADE in bass.

the new Walnut finish is huge!

Ethernet connection kinda cool.
http://www.velodyne.com/news/hi-res_..._300%20dpi.jpg

I called my local retailer and they didn't know about it.

If anyone has a price list (or knows where to buy) please post.

The Ethernet connection is for use with system controllers and automation systems.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse /forum/post/19584145

Thank you for your input, Rob. Since the previous DD18 has been well tested and evaluated over the years, can you estimate about how much greater output the new model will be capable of?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I figured on the ethernet, also will be easier to update drivers.

Funny, Velodyne has a bunch of distributors in the Bay Area...about 70 miles from the HQ....and yet three authorized retailers in a row have never heard of the DD+ and none were able to give me an MSRP.

Edit: someone just called me with an MSRP. And gave me the DD10 (not plus).

Not a good day for people who sell speakers.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan14 /forum/post/19584269

I figured on the ethernet, also will be easier to update drivers.

Funny, Velodyne has a bunch of distributors in the Bay Area...about 70 miles from the HQ....and yet three authorized retailers in a row have never heard of the DD+ and none were able to give me an MSRP.

Edit: someone just called me with an MSRP. And gave me the DD10 (not plus).

Not a good day for people who sell speakers.

The DD+ (10s and 12s) just started shipping, the stores likely have not recieved them yet and most sales people don't say or know much about the product until it hits the sales floor. I am happy to PM you the MSRP when I get back to the office tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
I absolutely love my DD-12 and have been a happy Velodyne customer for a long time..........

With that said, two DD-18+ being placed in my new theater build is not going to happen due to MSRP $5999.............

I can have 2 subs built using the TC Sound LMS 5400 Ultra driver for the price of one DD-18+. I believe Velodyne is missing the boat due to pricing............sad as I love their products!!!

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I honestly cannot see all that many informed sub buyers shelling out that sort of $$$$ for the new DD18+. I think they are going to be out-gunned by Paradigm in that general price range as well as by many other subs selling for a fraction of their price. They may prove me wrong, but I'd be surprised.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/19586325

I honestly cannot see all that many informed sub buyers shelling out that sort of $$$$ for the new DD18+. I think they are going to be out-gunned by Paradigm in that general price range as well as by many other subs selling for a fraction of their price. They may prove me wrong, but I'd be surprised.

The DD+ is not intended to be subwoofer for everyone. Achieving huge sales volumes is not the goal of this our flag ship series. There are many subwoofers in our line and from other companies that are capable of providing more bang for your buck, however if you want uncompromising performance and accuracy then price is not the issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The DD series from Velodyne is an exceptional performer. I doubt that Paradigm has the technology that Velodyne has espically in the servo department. Rob, your products are nothing short of fantastic. The new DD+ has a very beefy driver in it, with a servo system the corrects 15,800 times a second. This is a far more advanced system than Paradigm uses in there Sub-25. From a quality standpoint, fit & finish, build quality, performance, I am not certain anyone makes a better sub than Velodyne. The internet direct companys like HSU, Epik, Rythmik, ED and so on..... make very very nice units for the dollar. I have heard many of them, not all of them. They seem to fall short on sound quality compaird to the Velodynes to me. It is like there is something missing. When it comes down to clean accurate bass extention the Velodyne just shines. The Velodynes may not have the most output, but, thats not the goal for them. The goal for Velodyne is to produce the cleanest tightes most accurate bass in the subwoofer industry. They have proven they know how to do that with there DD series of subwoofers. The new DD+ is an outstanding performer, I have heard it. As far as output, they are no joke. A properly set up system with a subwoofer or woofers x2 is not going to play at 140db unless your just a plain bass head and have a unbalanced system. All people seem to care about these days is output! balance your system the right way and enjoy.

Hats off to Velodyne for some great products. Good luck with the new DD+ Rob, I will be buying one or two of them for myself. I am torn between the 15's or the 18's.

FYI, I have the HSU VTF15H and it is a very good subwoofer. I can not wait to get my hands on a DD+ to compair the two.....

TLG....

·
Registered
42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_ACP_AUTO /forum/post/19591565

The new DD+ has a very beefy driver in it, with a servo system the corrects 15,800 times a second.

Given that the highest frequency a subwoofer might be called on to generate is 80-100 Hz, do you really think it makes a difference if the servo system is "correcting" that quickly?

·
Registered
8,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/19584085

It depends on:

1) Room size and floor plan. Large open vs. small sealed room.

2) It depends on how loud the buyer plans on going, and how deep the buyer wants. THD can certainly be a problem if you don't buy enough raw output to start with. There are numerous "decent" subs that would be fine in a small room and minimal expectations from 25 Hz down to 10 hz.

3) So, one answer to your question is, if you buy something with considerable raw output, such as the CS 18.2, THD shouldn't be a problem in most rooms, otherwise THD is a concern.

4) As far as audibility of THD and subwoofers; if you know what to listen for and most especially, have a reference that is known to have low THD when pushed hard and deep, THD can be audible with a sub pushed to its limits.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike

Mike

We could put together all kinds of sub + EQ packages for the same or less money than a DD-18 Plus. The thing is that the DD series is aimed at a different target audience than ID subs. People with more discretionary income, who like to shop in stores, who want simple operation to get good subwoofer-room integration are the market demographic for Velodyne, Paradigm, J L Audio.

Velodyne DDs have been popular with some pretty sophisticated listeners with high end systems. Some of these folks are reviewers and/or are known for their quest for excellence in sound quality.

A Toyota Camry V6 is a very nice car, but the professionals I know buy the Lexus ES 350. Just a different demographic.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I understand the market that the new DD will be competing in, but I can't help but to be skeptical that it's going to be able to hang with it's natural competitors like Paradigm and JL. At a time when 4000watt plate amps are not that uncommon, Velo chose an amp with no more continuous power than it's geriatric ancestor. Unless they have made a miracle breakthrough in efficiency, I don't see it being a great choice vs the other high priced spreads out there. I guess time will tell.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.