AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to watch more movies than I listen to music. Which one of these subs would you guys recommend? I want something that going to give me alot more punch than my Velodyne VX10. :cool:

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
What size is your room? Both subs are very close in performance but the Velo looks nicer and has a built in EQ. You can read a review of the Velo DPS12 in the September 04 issue of Sound and Vision. Also you can see some of Tom Nousaine's measurements on both these subs at the link below.

http://members.cox.net/fabulousfrankie/Nousaine.htm

Ian

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMySS
It's about a 20' x 18' area and my home theater is on one side of my cellar.
What size is your cellar and does your HT area open up to the entire space?

Ian

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang
What size is your cellar and does your HT area open up to the entire space?

Ian
20' x 18' and yes it's open to the entire space.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
In considering your sub requirements you need to use the size of the entire space that your HT area opens up too. It sounds like you may need a more powerful sub then the ones you are looking into. I'm curious as to the size of the entire cellar. Also what is the height of the ceiling?

Ian

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
That's close to 3000 cu. ft. Those subs should be fine. You can buy a DPS 12 at the below link for under $400.00 + shipping. Let me know which sub you choose and your impressions.

http://www.legacyaudiovideo.com/veaude.html

Ian

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
That's close to 3000 cu. ft. Those subs should be fine. You can buy a DPS 12 at the below link for under $400.00 + shipping. Let me know which sub you choose and your impressions.

http://www.legacyaudiovideo.com/veaude.html

Ian
Are you sure that's the right link? They have it listed there for $616.55? :confused:

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Quote:
but the Velo looks nicer and has a built in EQ. You can read a review of the Velo DPS12 in the September 04 issue of Sound and Vision.
http://members.cox.net/fabulousfrankie/Nousaine.htm

Ian
Unless I missed something I don't believe the Velo has built in EQ just DSP presets, maybe that's what you are referring too. The 10 performed very well by my limited experience. You will either like or dislike the DSP presets and volume control. For the right price it's a keeper. For retail pricing .

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple
Unless I missed something I don't believe the Velo has built in EQ just DSP presets, maybe that's what you are referring too. The 10 performed very well by my limited experience. You will either like or dislike the DSP presets and volume control. For the right price it's a keeper. For retail pricing .
Yes I was referring to the DSP. Since it alters certain frequencys I have a habit of referring to it as an EQ. I'm not to crazy about the volume control either. Also based on the reviews I have read on the DPS 10 you get better deep bass extension in the movie mode.

Ian ;)

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMySS
Are you sure that's the right link? They have it listed there for $616.55? :confused:
First of all that price must be wrong since it is 100.00 over list ($549.00) All the prices are high because they include free air shipping. :rolleyes: I live in NJ so I spoke to a sales rep last week. I suggest you give them a call.

Ian ;)

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Quote:
I have read on the DPS 10 you get better deep bass extension in the movie mode.

Ian ;)
Reading the Audioholics review and my own experience, this sub does go down lower than it's spec (28hz), with distortion, but no noticable stress, without too much roll off. I'm sure the 12 is a step up. I really liked the 10 for HT (in movie mode) and music (in Jazz mode - sometime rock if I wanted a boom).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.