AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking it's time to upgrade my Velodyne and have been considering the F113. My mains are B&W 802N. It seems the Velodyne just doesn't have the room shattering bass I'm looking for especially at high volumes where the Velodyne clips. Is the F113 the right choice considering a $2k (used) budget?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskvarenina /forum/post/19559145

I'm thinking it's time to upgrade my Velodyne and have been considering the F113. My mains are B&W 802N. It seems the Velodyne just doesn't have the room shattering bass I'm looking for especially at high volumes where the Velodyne clips. Is the F113 the right choice considering a $2k (used) budget?

I'm sure the F113 is an upgrade. It is the best sealed sub I have heard. Enjoy...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The question though is it a major step up or just a minor improvement. The Velodyne uses a single 15" woofer and a small 250 watt amplifier. The JL Audio seems to use smaller drivers but more power.

If I invest 2k, it needs to sound different.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskvarenina /forum/post/0

The question though is it a major step up or just a minor improvement. The Velodyne uses a single 15" woofer and a small 250 watt amplifier. The JL Audio seems to use smaller drivers but more power.

If I invest 2k, it needs to sound different.

It will be a major improvement.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
You'll get considerably greater improvement, in both output and smoothness (if you do it right) by adding two more smaller subs around the room to your current Velodyne than by scrapping the Velodyne and replacing it with a single sub.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Keep the Velo in the mix. I used that Velo for 10 years and have a buddy with the JL. I'm pretty familiar with both. I actually prefer the Velo for it's tone and smoothness. The JL offers more output. The JL is the superior sub, but I don't think it's a night and day difference between either. Running them as a pair would likely be night and day.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
There is much discussion on the forum regarding use of multiple subs. Do a search and you'll find some good discussion. I can testify that I've seen it do wonders in multiple rooms. You will still balance the sub channel to the rest of your system, so it's purpose is not to increase volume (although it does that too). It will give you a more even frequency response. It also gives the bass a more energizing feel in my room.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a 10+ year old FSR-15 and have also been researching an upgrade. The problem with the old "F" series Velodynes is that they were designed to be very musical but were designed before the higher output demands of home theater. Here is a link to a Velodyne rep's post on the "F" series and Home Theater. Quoting part of that post

"The F series were designed before home theater and were about playing very accurate rather than loud. I never recommend purchasing a F series for home theater."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post17247241

I don't think I agree with the folks suggesting you keep the FSR and just add other subs to it. I do believe that could improve the sound quality at low to moderate levels. But, that low power amp in a sealed enclosure with a relatively low excursion driver is going to be difficult to balance such that it makes a meaningful contribution where higher output and impact are the goals.

For what its worth, I've been considering a Hsu VHF-15H. Its a new ported, but highly configurable sub from Hsu that is getting rave user reviews. I might also go with dual, sealed subs - either the ULS-15s from Hsu or Rhythmik F15 HPs. The dual setups would be in the low $2,000s and a single Hsu VHF-15 is about $1,000. But you can check all that out yourself. I've never heard the JL Audio sub you are also considering. But, I've read good stuff about it as well.

Good luck!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts