AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully, someone can help me here. My Velodyne F1200R Subwoofer keeps going into circuit protect when receiving alot of LFE. Especailly with the new Phantom Menace.

I have a Yamaha RX-V1000 reciever and Yamaha 700 DVD player. I run a gold-plated RCA cable (25ft.) directly from the LFE output on the reciever to the Velodyne (R) channel input. The volume on the Velodyne is set extremely low, at about 4. (or 1/4 of maximum volume).

This seems to be increasing in frequency, more and more often. I can hear it "clip" then nothing...then it powers up again..all within a second or two.

Can this be related to my LFE setting in the Yamaha On Screen menu? I am not really sure how to set the LFE on the Yamaha..and the owners manual is no help with how to set the LFE settings.

Please help...this is driving me crazy!

·
Registered
420 Posts
read your post re f1200

I have a f1500r same circuitry as f1200. Check to see what crossover setting from your yamaha is. Also check the subwoofer level output on the yamaha you can control the level from the yamaha. Also check to see what frequency you have your adjustable crossover on the velodyne at is it too high ie 90 100 htz?

I have mine set up to mono sub output on citation 5.0, zero level, spl set up using internal test pink noise for sub to read 75dbspl at its crosser (variable) set to 40htz.

This is done as my main speakers are quite large and handle the lower end of the scale well. As well as surrounds as they are the same identical. So the idea is to reiforce the very very low end.

ps send me if you can copy of section pertaining to sub setup and levels, crossover settings if applicable on manual of yamaha if you can.

hope this helps

ben:p

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ben,

After getting home from work I reread my Yamaha and Velodyne owner manuals front to back. I then made several A-B loops from the TPM DVD including the THX Trailer, Pod Race and Light Saber duel. While playing the loops in continous mode I accessed my on screen menu and readjusted all the speaker levels..once that was done I attacked the LFE Subwoofer problem. I adjusted the LFE with the menu and remote. I set the Velo crossover at 70 and volume just before midpoint. I can now eassily crank the reciever up to -13db without any distortion or clipping, and no low end LFE bass loss. I had to nail my cat (YODA) to the floor, I think he thought I was trying to punish him with the chest shaking volumes:p

Thanks again. I will probably borrow my neighbors Video Essentials and his SPL meter for a tighter tweaking!

Thanks again for your quick reply!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Good to see you have fixed the problem.

Better still add another velodyne to your system if it provides. Then set the crossover on velodyne to 40htz rumble rumble!

Have fun!!!

:D :D

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by benthx
Good to see you have fixed the problem.

Better still add another velodyne to your system if it provides. Then set the crossover on velodyne to 40htz rumble rumble!

Have fun!!!

:D :D
I am already shopping..and got the latest brochures on the Velodyne line up!

Darren;)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I'm not sure if you'd really want to set the XO on the sub(s) to 40hz?

Ideally, you'd have so much woofage that you could set all speakers to small and run a DVD like TPM without any compression at all. The problem is...this would likely take a half dozen HGS18s...:)

If you have to turn down the LFE attenuation to get the subwoofer to sound OK on TPM...wouldn't it then sound very weak on a more typical DVD?(or do you cycle back and forth depending on the DVD?)

TV

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.