AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some inputs from Velodyne HGS-18 owners on this legendary sub. I read this article Product Review - Subwoofers Under the Christmas Tree - December, 2001 by Brian Weatherhead about a year ago and ever since, wanted to own this sub. I started off with a lowly Infinity BU-150, moved to the HPS-1000 and currently the SVS16-46PC+. The 16-46PC+ is an awesome sub and I have truly enjoyed it. Compared to the HPS-1000 it could go lower and is very musical, but the HPS-1000 had a slam and dynamics that was hard to beat. Both the 16-46PC+ and the HPS-1000 are great subs.

Coming to the HGS-18, it is on it's way and expected to be at my door mid next week. It is actually an HGS-18 series II. I just can't wait !

It was very difficult to decide between the SVS PB2+ and HGS-18 (used) especially because of all the great things I have been hearing about the PB2+ and at about $600 less than the HGS-18, it was very attractive. I am seeing more and more happy PB2+ owners and I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has heard the PB2+ and the HGS-18. I am very interested to know how they compare for Movies and Music.

I have heard some comments in the past on an 18" subwoofer being slower than a subwoofer with smaller drivers and since the PB2+ has 2 smaller 12" drivers it has gotten me very curious. I have convinced myself that the 18" woofer being SLOWER is a mistaken idea. Please read Uncle Eric's explanation here Aren´t smaller woofers quicker and tighter than these giant 18" and less prone to booming? . The discussion there is solid and pretty convincing. However, I would like to know from HGS-18 owners what they think about the musical capability of this subwoofer. Please post your honest opinions.

Interestingly, the guy selling me the subwoofer (a dealer) mentioned that he found the HGS-18 to be slow when integrated to the VMPS RM40. This happened after we closed the deal and I was wondering if he had second thoughts on selling the sub and thus wanted to talk me out of it. Having communicated with him extensively, I believe he is honest and in fact what he observed was exactly what Uncle Eric points out about the great difficulty in integrating a big dynamic woofer with electrostatic panels (ribbons) like the VMPS RM40. My mains are Rocket RS750 (incredible speakers that are not ribbons) and so I believe that the HGS-18 will easily integrate and hence not sound slow for music. Please post your comments and observations.

Thanks,

-Jai

·
Registered
429 Posts
I can't comment on the SVS, but I have experienced the HGS on a couple of occasions, and it is simply amazing. There may be a few subs out there that are capable of a few more db, but I think all around, the HGS-18 is one of the absolute best subs going. Of course I haven't listened to even half of the available subs out there, but I have heard quite a few, and the big Velo is at the summit.

Other subs that really impress me are the Paradigm Servo-15 and, Revel B15.

·
Registered
452 Posts
The HGS18 is a damn good woof and don't buy into the myth that bigger woofers are slower. My guess on the who's selling you the Velo is the sub might have sounded boomy due to placement issues and that's why he thought it didn't integrate well. The Velo HGS18 is a very low distortion woofer.

With that said, between the Velo HGS18 and the PB2 Plus I'd take the PB2. Simply put, it's capable of more clean output for less money. It does come in a larger box though, this good for performance but bad for WAF.

·
Registered
27,634 Posts
I am a former Velodyneowner and the quality and power / performance of the subs is impressive. I can't imagine not being impressed with the HGS-18.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use two HGS18s with a pair of ML CLSIIZ. They integarate totally with the CLSs using very expensive interconnect cables such as Transparent XLs. I use two XL 12" pairs, preamp to subs and subs to Pass Alep 5 amp. Lesser interconnect don't work at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As a HGS 18 owner I have extensively compared the sub to a few others (In home trials of all) including the Paradigm Servo 15, Bag end 18, NHT SW3-P, Mcintosh 12, and others. I found the Volodyne to be just as fast as the others while outperforming them in in sheer volume and depth. This test was performed a few years ago so I can offer no incite to some of the new woofers on the block. The sub is no slouch.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
The HGS-18II is a fab subwoofer alright. BTW, it has been discontinued by Velodyne and replaced by the new DD-18. My DD-18 just arrived yesterday. They are both THX Ultra2 certified.

Eric

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your responses. The HGS-18 is going to be my first front-firing sub (all the others I have owned were down-firing). Here is a question on placement of a front-firing sub. With down-firing subs one can orient them in any way as the sub is down-firing. The front-firing on the other hand cannot be oriented any way we please right ? For example, it may not be good to face the driver towards the wall. It seems to me that for a front firing sub, the best orientation would in a position where the driver is directly (or at least partially) in front of the listening position, so that the air being pushed, is directly towards the listener. I do understand that with LFE (below 80Hz) that it is difficult to localize so this may not be a big issue and room reflections and modes maybe more critical. I have a very good subwoofer calibration system ETF acoustic and a Behringer EQ for flattening out responses. In my listening room, there are 2 locations of interest. Please study the diagram below carefully. As you can see, there is a primary location and a secondary location. With the Behringer and ETF I claibrate the sub for a flat response at the primary location. However, I have found in the past that the secondary location is not all that flat and it is almost impossible to achieve a flat response on both the primary and secondary location at the same time with the same set of filters on the Behringer. You will also notice that I have 2 locations in mind for the HGS-18 depicted by the red boxes in locations 1 and 2. I will have to experiment and see if placement of the HGS-18 in location 1 or location 2 gives the flattest possible response in both primary and secondary seating location.

My most important question is .....

Will placing the HGS-18 in location 2, inhibit the performance because the driver is not directly in front of the primary listening position ? Will location 1 be better because the driver is almost directly in front of the primary listening position ? The picture is not drawn exactly to scale and also the dotted arrows in front of the sub shows the direction in which the woofer will face. Of course, the waves are going to be spherical.

Please post your thoughts and let me know which location would you think be better for performance ? I prefer location 2 as it is more convenient, but if location 1 is better, I can accomodate that too.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jai

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
Hi jmcomp124,

Good choice to go with the Velo.Sound quality is very good indeed, and it has decent low frequency extension.Very good musical performance, and the "servo" sound has its benefits.Otherwise its a good performer all round.

Regards

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Folks,

Any hints on the HGS-18 placement ? Please check my post (a couple of posts above) that has some interesting questions on front-firing design and also a drawing of my room configuration. The enthusiasists in this thread would have surely thought about all the possibilities and I can benefit from your experience.

Thanks,

-Jai

·
Premium Member
9,348 Posts
For that it is worth...at CEDIA I was totally blown away by the DD-18 (Digial series sub) with the new digital drive system. Not only did I like the sound (Note...was not the best environment so I will wait to reserve judgment until I have one in my environment.) but I was also able to look at the digital system upfront and play with how it worked. That was the impressive part. It actually monitors the cone movement and corrects in real time! Something you could even feel when you tapped on the woofer and at the same time turned on and off the digital drive.

I may order one for I am redoing some of my theater.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was the owner of the ULD-18 and it took me a long time to change over to the HGS-18. Velodyne has done an excellent job of making the subwoofer do both movies and music without having to compromise one for the other. I have heard the B-15 and it is probably the closest thing to a Velodyne.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
cajunlab...

Interesting news about the HGS series possibly living on...Velodyne had informed me that they had enough stock to last thru Sept, then the DD series would take over, being in somewhat limited supply now (the black lacquer finish is not yet available, I received cherry).

Did you see that outrageous Velodyne Signature 1812 sub at CEDIA? Jeez. $15,000 and about the size of a fridge!

All I can tell you about the DD-18 is that it's a big heavy cardboard box! I have yet to open it. Still awaiting much other gear.

Eric

·
Registered
882 Posts
Just received the DD18 in gloss black.

Will post more after I get it connected & calibrated.

Dang that's one dishwasher sized box filling the back of the suburban!

"This better be good..."

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
jmcomp124,

You are correct that the direction of the cone isn't crucial (when compared with the room modes). Place the sub to get the smoothest response. Alternatively, place it in the corner and tame the room modes (hopefully less than 3 total) via EQ.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Jai,

I use the Velodyne HGS-18v2 and the Rocket 750's too along with the Rocket 200, and 300's. Bottom line: Couldn't be happier with the Velo.

Looked closely at the Paradigm servo 15 and others and glad I settled on the Velo. As much as I love the Rockets the HGS-18 is the anchor of the system.

I've never needed to crank it above 50%. Quickness certainly never an issue either. Wasn't sure I would use it for music much given the Rockets strength in the mid bass range but it adds a wonderfull warmth to any music for me. Including the new high rez-formats.

With movies, I can't imagine wanting more clean, deep db's. :D

Re positioning: I have mine facing out toward the listening positon in a corner behind me. Never tried the theory of facing it toward the wall. Haven't felt the need.

You won't be disappointed!

Happy Chappy

·
Registered
882 Posts
Holy sh#t, this DD-18 thing rocks.

I feel like Joe Dirt with a 426 Blown Hemi in the basement :D

The most immediate impact is how it opens up the sound of the Vienna's. Their range noticeably increased. But you never really hear the sub....obviously...duh....but you know it's there.

Didn't have time to tweak it with the on-screen setup though (ABC-MNF & guests).

It is not fully automatic like the Pioneer MCAAC.

An XLR cable connects the microphone to the sub.

Either an S-video or composite cable connects for on screen video setup & an RCA stereo cable for sound generation used to calibrate.

Definitely a tweakers delight.

Everything possible is tweakable....glad thers's a reset option.

There is no way I need two of these even in my large room.

Still learning.......will need a good weekend to figure this thing out totally.

Dang, I'm happy!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.