AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to Know if anyone owns a Velodyne series ll HGS sub?

What are the real world differences between the series l & ll?

I already own the series l 15' HGS and I am trying to decide if I should sell this sub to my

friend (for $1200) and purchase the series ll ($2300) or just keep it and buy another series l

at $1600. Either way I am looking to own 2 of these monsters. I just wanted to find out if

anybody knows if the differences are worth the extra $$$.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Not positive, but I thought the *II* was primarily an upgrade to eliminate the minor amp buzzing/humming a few folks heard?

TV

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also heard that the seriesll amp makes less noise, which is one thing that is important to me.

But I also wanted to know if there are any sonic differences in source reproduction....like are the drivers built better? or more efficient?....Are these differences noticable or just on paper?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will B.

My dealer said he could have his Velodyne rep meet with me but I didn't want to hear just only specs.....I primarily wanted to know from owners if they noticed any real improvements sonicaly or otherwise that justify the extra $$$.

Thanks!

·
Registered
841 Posts
From Velodyne Product Support:

Velodyne has made over 30 modifications to the HGS Series amplifier over the last 4 years. All modifications were made to address noise issues.

Now that all modifications are complete they have labeled it Series II

The new driver composite material now has Kevlar added.

The units performance measures "exactly" the same.

If your HGS unit is performing satisfactorily there is no reason to upgrade to a Series II of the same model.

John

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
John's information is the same I was given by Velodyne. In fact, even though the numerous modification issues had cured the noise issues inherent with the earliest releases, the push to "rename" the sub stemmed in part from the lingering rumors of those bygone days.

In short, the renaming of the series could have just as easily been done over a year ago, and the product would be essentially the same then and now. The Series II moniker was added in large part as a marketing response to those old rumors.

Nick :cool:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Recently I returned an HGS18 that I had bought as an open box unit and a couple of weeks later got it back. The unit had been sent back for only one reason... NOISE!!!, however after the amp was changed by the Sound Advice repair facility no more noise needless to say, I'm a very happy camper.

Wonder what amp I've got in there now?

Regards

Helier

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got an HGS-15 Series II last week, and within a couple of days it became very noisy. I am lucky enough to live about four miles from the (new) Velodyne factory, so I called them up and told them what had happened.

It seems that they got a bad batch of voltage regulators from one of their suppliers. They told me to pull the board off the back (which includes the amp) and bring it in and they could fix it while I waited. It took them maybe 15 minutes, and now it's very quiet. I could hear it from over 30 feet away before, now I can't hear anything from more than about three feet.

NOTE: they gave me a wiring diagram for reinstalling the board, and it is critical that you follow it. Reversing the speaker connection inside the box can be fatal (to the speaker, that is). :eek:

Now that it's fixed, I love it!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I have a 12' x 19' room with a pair of Martin Logan Sequel II speakers being driven by qsc 2450 amps. They are inexpensive (I got mine for $515) I was shocked by how good they sound. I used to drive my speakers with a pair of Classe dr10 power amps in bridged mono. With the new amps I have more dynamics an extended high end and a much tighter bottom end. These amps are proffesional amps and worth an audition. A friend of mine told me to try out the Crown professional amps and we demoed both we were both surprised by the results. I am now running 3 of these amps for my home theater and I used the money I saved to buy a new preamp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.