AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Velodyne HGS-10 to demo from my local dealer. This sub will replace my B&W ASW-650 for use in HT and music with my B&W CDM 1NT speakers. Bottom line is that I am very impressed - much tighter, faster and more musical than the B&W. (The ASW-650 is a real dog IMO.)

I would much appreciate hearing from current or former Velodyne HGS owners on the following:

1. This is not a series II. I have heard lots of reliability problems with the HGS subs - both DOA and after a few years. Has this problem been fixed or does it still exist in the older HGS series? Would you buy an HGS again?

2. Does anyone know the major differences between the HGS original and series II? Does the series II sound better? Worth the extra money?

3. My room is 21x14 with 13 foot ceiling. Will the 10 be large enough or do you think I will be asking too much of it in my room? How much better is the HGS-12? Unfortunately my dealer does not have a HGS-12 demo so it would cost be considerably more.

4. I will probably demo the newer B&W CDM sub next week as well. Does anyone have experiene with this sub or the newer Nautilus sub?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I love the velodyne subs, I havent had many issues with the SII subs recently, however with any sub you need to look at it as a integrated component, its an amplifier and a speaker, either could go bad over time.

I just hooked up the B&W Nautalis sub and I must say Im impressed, havent put it through all the paces yet, but overall Im still a happy Velodyne fan :)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree that something can go wrong with any piece of equipment - I am just being cautious because I read so many horror stores about the HGS-10 on AudioReview. I wanted to get opinions from the well imformed folks on this forum. I think the HGS sounds wonderful - but I'll pass if there seems to be too many reliabbility issues.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have 2 series IIs 10&12 for two different systems. They did some redesign on the electronics as well as use kevlar for the driver cone. The biggest issues they fixed was some low level noise when the sub was at idle. Some people don't seem to have this issue.. I was a little worried myself about the quality in general. I had a old ULD-15 series one that the amp self destructed on with the servo failed. This happened 5 yrs ago and the sub was 10 yrs old at the time. I use to really beat the hell out of this sub.. I think a lot of the people that had series 1 issues tended to over drive the system... this will break almost anything. I've had no issues with my "adult driven" subs...

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
btrvalik - thanks for the note. Is there a big difference between the 10 and 12 in terms of LFE excitement for home theater?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I have the HGS 10 Ver. I,

It arrived to me DOA, this was a used sub, it was six months new,

I just send it in to our local authorized shop for warranty repair.

They made some mods to the amp and place in the new driver.

Gave it back to me as a ver. II

So that's what the service report said.

Total cost to me was $0.00 :D

I use my HGS with a pair of mirage OM-5's, these speakers have two 8" subs with 250w amps in each tower.

The HGS adds that extra LFE for the movies.

It's a great sub!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a B&W Setup as well (804s, 805s, and HTM2). I use a HSG12 II for my subwoofer and i *love* it. It's extremely tight and precise base and personally i think it worx really well w/the b&w's. In fact, i think that velodyne tests their subs w/the b&w's.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have not done a 10 vs 12 test. They are in different rooms the 10 is with tube gear for music in a small room 10x15 and the 12 is HT on a much larger room 25x18. I mainly stepped up to the 12 because I got a good deal on a dealer demo... I think the 10 would have worked well for HT...

·
Registered
136 Posts
hey hakwuzhere,

how would you compare the velodyne with the new b&w nautilus asw 800 series subs. I was thinking about getting an asw series sub to complete my nautilus surround system (802, 805 and HTM2). I also heard velodyne will be coming out with new line of subs with room-correction and other features based on their new $15,000 reference 1812 sub. I guess I will have to wait for the velodyne subs to come out and then do a blind test between the two in my setup. It would be nice to have a matching b&w sub for my nautilus setup but if the new velodyne's have a better sounding sub for $2000 then the nautilus line... well, looks ain't everything (although the nautilus series looks pretty darn good I have to admit)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I remember reading in another thread somewhere that the new Velodyne Subs would be abour $1000 more then the HGS-II series.

I'm currently holding off on my HGS-15 purchase. I can't wait to see the reviews on the new subs myself.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I called Velodyne to ask them about the new subs and they seemed to indicate it will be a while... They seemed to indicate that the market/sales were kind of slow right now and the financial impact of launching new products is rather high... I'm thinking about using a berhinger feedback destroyer with my sub... They are cheap ($120) and people seem to have extremely good results with them. Do a search here... I got a lot of good info on a thabout 1 month ago...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=245643

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quote:
2. Does anyone know the major differences between the HGS original and series II? Does the series II sound better? Worth the extra money?
I use a pair of original HGS 18's with Series II amplifiers.

Over the years Velodyne made quite a few modifications to the HGS amplifier to address noise issues. Somewhere in the area of 30 I believe. Once this process was complete they rebadged them as Series II. They also changed the cone composite of the driver at that time.

I was told by Velodyne that unless you are experiencing noise problems with your Series I there is no reason to upgrade to the Series II of the same model. "They perform and measure the same."

John

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by btrvalik
I called Velodyne to ask them about the new subs and they seemed to indicate it will be a while... They seemed to indicate that the market/sales were kind of slow right now and the financial impact of launching new products is rather high...
Companies hold out on new inventory until they sold a significant portion of their old stock because the new stock would devalue the old. So I would take what they said with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:
hey hakwuzhere,

how would you compare the velodyne with the new b&w nautilus asw 800 series subs. I was thinking about getting an asw series sub to complete my nautilus surround system (802, 805 and HTM2). I also heard velodyne will be coming out with new line of subs with room-correction and other features based on their new $15,000 reference 1812 sub. I guess I will have to wait for the velodyne subs to come out and then do a blind test between the two in my setup. It would be nice to have a matching b&w sub for my nautilus setup but if the new velodyne's have a better sounding sub for $2000 then the nautilus line... well, looks ain't everything (although the nautilus series looks pretty darn good I have to admit)
Ill compare them at my showroom tommorow and write up a review... Ive got the Nautalis 800 sub on my Signature 800 speakers so it will be a fun test to do :)

Im also pretty excited about the new Velodyne's... but the thought of having to have a video input for my sub is somewhat disturbing.... :p

·
Registered
136 Posts
wow, you have the signature 800's!

those are some of the few speakers I'd rather have then my 802's.

those and the original nautilus which everyone must admit is the most beautiful speakers money can buy. not to mention best sounding. and a frequency range of 10Hz to 25kHz got you covered. you are only one step down from the ultimate. did you get the tigers eye or the birds eye finish?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.