AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didnt pull the trigger on the front row system - sold out now. They only have the satellites left .... so i was thinking of buying three pairs and use one of the satellites as the center channel. Not quite sure how it would hold up for center channel duties.

My budget is right at the $200 spot so I know that it's tight but its all i got.

Any suggestions on other speakers would be appreciated. Would like to stay in the bookshelf size but still be able to hang on wall.(WAF)

Other info:

My room size is 12'w // 19"d // 9'h

Receiver: HK AVR 135

Sub: Klipsch sub 10

Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
200$ that would include shipping?

3 pairs of these is what I just purchased. Couple people have them and seem to like them plus they support wallmounting. 3 pairs + shipping is 160$

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...Fid=58%2D10995

Otherwise you might want to check frys.com for the Polk Audio R150 pair. They were going for 50$ a pair there but I don't know whether they have them in stock or if the sale is still going.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Plenty of alternative recommendations to be found in the "Official HITB Alternatives Thread" found in the Home Theater in a Box forum.

Also, someone will be right along shortly with a recommendation for the Mission m70s instead.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo /forum/post/0

Plenty of alternative recommendations to be found in the "Official HITB Alternatives Thread" found in the Home Theater in a Box forum.

Also, someone will be right along shortly with a recommendation for the Mission m70s instead.

He means these:

http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/TSTO.sto...duct/View/2191

3 pair would be $210 w/o shipping.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
There's a center at tsto that matches those.

You didn't miss the boat, it's more like you missed the subway. There's always another one coming along before too long. Maybe even a better one.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ /forum/post/0

There's a center at tsto that matches those.

You didn't miss the boat, it's more like you missed the subway. There's always another one coming along before too long. Maybe even a better one.

Yep, and if he doesn't have the room for bookshelf I spose it'll have to do. But its only available with the set and the set is more expensive at 239$

Edit: Guess you can buy it seperately. But adding it to 2 pairs of m70's makes it the same as buying the set.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusedsoul /forum/post/0

Yep, and if he doesn't have the room for bookshelf I spose it'll have to do. But its only available with the set and the set is more expensive at 239$

They sell the Mission center separately. Click on the Mission icon along the left side to see the Mission speakers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses!!!!

I'm going to look further into the "The Official HTIB Alternative Thread"

I haven't heard of the Mission brand, so how does the sound quality compare to the velodynes. I haven't heard the velodynes personally but i've read nothing but great reviews about them.

If persuing the Mission speakers, would the dedicated center channel speaker work better than one of the bookshelfs. 3 pairs would give me the 6.1 set-up, but if the 5.1 set sounds better then I can look into doing that.

How about the sound quality of the AR compare to the velodynes or missions.

All the responses and suggestions are much appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
29,307 Posts
Mission is a British speaker company while Velodyne's primarily a subwoofer manufacturer. Looks like Velo tried to do the satellite speaker thing for a little while, but has closed out all those models.

If I was buying speakers, Mission would be on my list, but for subs I'd look at Velodyne, SVS, HSU, etc.

The AR's have good reviews and definitely are selling at a bargain price.

Haven't heard any of the 3 models personally though, so take this with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
84 Posts
As a Velodyne CHT Front Row set owner, I have been pleased with these little speakers. I'd recommend them to my friends, but I have to qualify that recommendation since I'm a relative audio noob. I love music, but don't have much experience with audiophile-grade gear. I've done some listening at audio shops, and have heard some great speakers. While the Velos don't hold up to them, they fit my budget and work well within the constraints (mostly $$$) I had when I bought them. With that said, I can't be happier with the speakers as my first HT setup.

I found they are lacking in the 80 ~ 110 Hz range, and the ARs (and others) might be better with a 5.25" vs. 4" woofer for that reason. However, I have managed to integrate my sub very well with the Velos and am quite happy even with 2-channel music. I do have the upgrade bug, and will buy some better fronts once I have some more $$$
for 2-channel purposes. BUT, these are great for now.

From what I've gathered, most hard-core enthusiasts would actually recommend an exact match of your L/R channel speakers as your center. They say that the MTM layout of most centers is flawed. After using the Velos, I have no reason to believe that a regular satellite couldn't act as a center channel.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks tmittleider!!

Still looking at the Velos, but getting interested in the Missions as well.

I haven't heard any responses to the AR's in comparison, so hopefully someone can shed some light on SQ, size, and their wall mounting ability.

I've read about the advantages of having the exact match up front, but i'm curious if the 4" woofer of the Velos would hold up to center challenge duties, or any bookshelf model for that matter. Most center channels have (2) mids for those duties so again wondering if only one mid would be capable.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLo /forum/post/0

Thanks tmittleider!!

Still looking at the Velos, but getting interested in the Missions as well.

I haven't heard any responses to the AR's in comparison, so hopefully someone can shed some light on SQ, size, and their wall mounting ability.

I've read about the advantages of having the exact match up front, but i'm curious if the 4" woofer of the Velos would hold up to center challenge duties, or any bookshelf model for that matter. Most center channels have (2) mids for those duties so again wondering if only one mid would be capable.

Have a look at this thread on the AR's I posted about above. The review starts on the 2nd page and was done by avscienceforum. Nevermind I'll just a link right to his post. Here it is. You can continue reading anything else after.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post9441474

·
Registered
29,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozerider /forum/post/0

Are those ARs $49.95 for the pair?

Yes they are, and $7.99 shipping. If you buy two pair shipping is $8.99 total.

I bought some Advent H200 bookshelf speakers from MCM back in December. $32 pair, it was a ridiculous bargain. Good speakers too! Very similar to Mission M31

Audiovox bought out Advent and AR when they were in financial trouble. So it looks like they're just liquidating excess inventory of older models. We as the consumer are the fortunate ones to get good sounding speakers at a fraction on their original price. Accessories for Less cleared out many of the Advent speakers ranging from bookshelfs to center channels and towers. Once word got out on ************** and here, they sold out quickly. MCM only carried the bookshelf speaker but that was good enough for me.

I'm all for bargain deals.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Stay away from little speakers like those Velodynes.

Size matters with speakers, expecially when you compare satellites (the velos) to bookshelf size ( the ARs).

The larger cones and baffle on the AR will yield much better results.

To get even better sound, go to some 20-50 pound speakers.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone2 /forum/post/0

Sorry to go off topic on the CHTs, but what would be a suggestion for a center speaker (prefer a single unit) to match the ARVP25s?

IIRC there was some suggestion of the ARXP242C , but you might want to check the thread or search on that model number to look for comments.

Not really off topic as the CHT isn't really an option unless you use one as a center. Not sure that's the best idea, but it might work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA /forum/post/0

Stay away from little speakers like those Velodynes.

Size matters with speakers, expecially when you compare satellites (the velos) to bookshelf size ( the ARs).

The larger cones and baffle on the AR will yield much better results.

To get even better sound, go to some 20-50 pound speakers.

There's some truth in there, but come on, you'd think people know whether they're looking for satellites or 50 lb-ers. Also, these aren't the 6.5" woofer ARs (at jr), they are the 5.25" or so (at mcminone).

Some would suggest (including, IIRC, everyone's favorite NHT dealer) that the optimal speaker size for reproducing voices is in the 4.5-5.5 range, and satellites with woofers that size with a well integrated sub are a good option.

So it's back to - get a good speaker that fits your needs. Don't buy any bad speakers - buy fewer speakers if money is tight. A good 3.1 setup can be a reasonable place to start.

Though at $50/pair, you couldn't go too far wrong with these in the back on a budget system. And people who have heard them seem to say they like them as fronts.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/0

AR XP242C

Thanks! (And you too buzzy_) I'm looking for the dimensions of this unit and haven't been able to find it anywhere (even Audiovox's site.) Anyone have one of these that they could post W"xH"xD" measurements from?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.