AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Looking at getting a new sub for my KEF THX TDM 7.1 set ... really trying to stay away from the KEF 45b which was the sub made for the set and am trying to do it on a budget.. I have the chance to purchase a Velodyne SPL-1000 mk2 (10" sub 1000rms D Class plate amp) On paper it seems to decimate the Kef 45b (15" 250w) I suppose my questions are:

a) Has anyone got any experience with it.. im concerned by its size! It seems tiny for a 1000w RMS!

b) Is it a good purchase at £150?

Any info would be great.. i just feel i need something with more slam and presence for my other speakers (2 x Kef 23f / 1 x Kef 23c / 4 x Kef 34ds)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Phoenix,

I would say it would depend on the size of the room. I use a SPL-1000R in a small apartment living room. For the size of the room I have always been impressed with what this liitle subwoofer can do. With neighbors all around I have to be very careful with the volume. Again the main concern is having the right size subwoofer or subwoofers to fill the room with the kind of bass you want.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I have some experience with the Velo, it's a decent sounding sub that can pound when it's in it's sweet spot frequency-wise. I don't know if you're into more music than HT but it would have some difficulty filling a large room with with lower frequency HT sound effects. For music it should have sufficient output for up to a medium size room.

The price you listed seems fair for something gently used in good condition.

There's no need to match the sub to the speakers as far as brand is concerned.

You can't determine two subs output cabability simply by looking at the RMS of the amp. Many other factors come into play, for instance the cone of the KEF has twice the surface area of the Velo. Its a bigger box also. There are sub designs that can offer outrageous output with only a couple of hundred watts (but they're quite large).

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
That is a quality sub. Perfect for music. The only thing I would be a little concerned with is the the amp since it is a fairly old unit now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the input.. Well it's mainly for Home theatre use... and low low end is important to me... I've also got a lead on the key 45b for £150... so it really comes down to Kef 45b or Velodyne SPL-1000 MK2 for the same price really.... Unless anyones got anything better than both for the same money!

What would you guys opt for?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_rising
Thanks everyone for the input.. Well it's mainly for Home theatre use... and low low end is important to me... I've also got a lead on the key 45b for £150... so it really comes down to Kef 45b or Velodyne SPL-1000 MK2 for the same price really.... Unless anyones got anything better than both for the same money!

What would you guys opt for?
If these are both used units available for a demo, I would inspect and listen to them both before buying one. Go with the one you like best. Based on specs alone neither really stands out and it is unlikely that anyone has heard both in the same listening environment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately i can't demo both and for the money travellign to do would put 50% on the price.. I spose im trying to outweigh (as best as one can) what to expect in terms of outputand effect based on the paper spec's

Velodyne Class D 1000w rms 10" driver in small compact box!

Kef 45b 250w 15" driver in big box!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
DrewTT's point about the amp is a good one, all amps go at some point. You might want to look into replacement cost(or even if that's an option), before buying. Not to scare you too much, just a good thing to know.

I don't think the KEF's low end extension is much better than the Velodyne's, so I can't say one is better than the other.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think for £150 i'll take my chances really as i wont be pushing it that hard 99% of the time and for £150 its gamble money i spose!

I think the Velodyne plays lower on paper...

Anyone recommend anything better for the money?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.