AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this sub worth $250.00, or should I elaborate. Is this sub going to match up well with moderate to upscale speakers in a 5.1 setup. Or is it simply going to be outclassed? I had a Phase Technology Power 12 Sub that was really nice. Does this compare?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
We're going to need more information - how big is your room (LxWxH) and is this for music or movies or both? Do you like to have your movies really kick you in the gut, or just casual viewing? The knock against the VRP series is the relatively low-power amps, but depending on your application it could work fine for you.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
The knock against the VRP series is the relatively low-power amps, but depending on your application it could work fine for you.
I disagree. In their price range the VRP subs do very well. Except for the DLS 5000R Velodyne's newer bass reflex subs only go up to 200 watts. This is due to a very efficient driver and improved tuning.

You can only compare amp ratings with in a certain brand since there is no set standard of measurement. See Ed Mullens comments on my Inconsistencey in amplifier ratings thread.

Ian

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Well, you know the Velodyne line better than I do. :)

The DLS-4000 & DPS-12 are both rated at 200 watts RMS & 400 watts peak. The VRP-1200 is rated at 130 watts RMS & 195 watts peak. Even with an efficient driver, that seems pretty low. A -3dB point of 29 Hz also seems a little weak for a 12" ported sub. Those are the two specs that made me uneasy about the VRP.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I had forgotten about Wayne's review. It looks like my fears of the VRP amp are unfounded - it did OK up to it's roll-off. I would still like to see more output below 30 Hz, but as Wayne alludes in his review, a BFD would probably help.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
I had forgotten about Wayne's review. It looks like my fears of the VRP amp are unfounded - it did OK up to it's roll-off. I would still like to see more output below 30 Hz, but as Wayne alludes in his review, a BFD would probably help.
I agree the VRP series could use more low end output. That is why I recommend they be used in smaller rooms. Also remember we are dealing with a budget priced sub here.

Ian :)

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Quote:
I agree the VRP series could use more low end output. That is why I recommend they be used in smaller rooms.
Yup, keep it in a small room and you can probably wring 25 Hz out of it once any other room peaks are cut. Just don’t try to do any EQ boosts to get additional extension – ported subs don’t like that.

Quote:
Is this sub worth $250.00, or should I elaborate. Is this sub going to match up well with moderate to upscale speakers in a 5.1 setup. Or is it simply going to be outclassed?
I’d say it’d be a pretty good deal if you can get it for $250. However, if you’re going to use it with “upscale†speakers I think I’d set my sights a little higher. I really didn’t care for it with music, if that matters to you – not very detailed.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.