AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a fairly low cost sub, and I was reading up on the VRP-1000 and I came across a thread where the guy said the Vx-10 was essentially the same thing only much cheaper.

is this true? the price difference is so large that there must be some difference in the subs.

has anyone had any personal experience with either of these?

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Since I have been nominated as the Velodyne VRP sub guru around here, you probably read my comments. Both of these subs are basically the same. The VX10 has a Vinyl veneer and the VRP 1000 has a stained wood grain finish. The specs are slightly different probably due to a marketing policy, but even if they were accurate, it wouldn't create an audioble performance differance between the two. The VX10 is used as a loss leader and therefore does not have any price restrictions where as the VRP 1000 has a lower price limit of around $250.00. Some authorized dealers sell it for less but they aren't suppose to.

Ian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! I believe it was actually your response to another post about these same subs that got me to consider the vx-10, but I think you had just meantioned that they were the same and didn't give any specifics.

so now to the second question: is the VX-10 a good sub?? I'm not looking for anything spectacular but I also don't want to buy it if there area better subs out there for the same (or slightly more) money

thanks alot

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Tristan,

I was in the same boat looking for a cheap, but nice sounding sub. I picked up a VX-10 for my BR system and can highly recommend it. I don't know if you can find a better value for under $200.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I paid $180 Canadian (about $150 US) for my VX-10 about three months ago. I'm sure there are better subs out there, but for the money, this thing is awesome. It has a very tight and clean bass pattern which I prefer, yet it can also really rattle the walls in a smaller room if you're using it for HT. I was a little skeptical because guys here on AVS give it a bad rap, and tell you to spend the money for the Bic, or an HSU or SVS... But I have been very pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Looks like I've started a VX10 fan club!
Feel free to PM me if you need any help with setting it up.

Ian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats great, I have a feeling that it will be perfect for my mainly HT surround setup! I really don't think it will be necessary to buy the Bic because I would seriously doubt that I would be able to tell the difference between the two considering I am a newbie to all of this. maybe eventually I'll upgrade when I decide I need more umph but for now I think I'll stick with the VX-10

again thanks for all your inputs!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Great input guys. Can someone PM me or trickily hint around at WHERE to buy it for that price? The 4 places I found on froogle all had $35+ shipping...

Also is there a model that's of similar value but more powerful thant he VX10? I'm thinking of something of similar quality range (low end Velo) with 250 watts for $250?

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Also is there a model that's of similar value but more powerful thant he VX10? I'm thinking of something of similar quality range (low end Velo) with 250 watts for $250?

There are plenty of threads on subs in the $250.00+/- price range. I suggest you check them out. Don't be too concerned with the advertised power output. It's what actually comes out of a sub that is important.

Ian

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ian ,

Could you pm me with your advice for setting up the vx-10 , I have to set one up in a week or so . It is going into a setup with a Pioneer 1016 rx and Velo front row speakers. The room is rectangle 15 x24.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD002 /forum/post/0

Ian ,

Could you pm me with your advice for setting up the vx-10 , I have to set one up in a week or so . It is going into a setup with a Pioneer 1016 rx and Velo front row speakers. The room is rectangle 15 x24.

Thanks

I sent you a PM. However, keep in mind that room of yours is rather large for a VX10. You may need to consider a bigger sub in the future.

Ian

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly13 /forum/post/0

Great input guys. Can someone PM me or trickily hint around at WHERE to buy it for that price? The 4 places I found on froogle all had $35+ shipping...

i purchased mine at futureshop, it was on sale at the time.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEvan /forum/post/0

i purchased mine at futureshop, it was on sale at the time.

Ditto.

They had them at $299, then $199 clearance. I called a store 40 minutes away to reserve a sealed one, and a few hours later when I stopped by, I discovered it was an open box
. I told him to sell it to me for $179 just to cover my fuel expense, and he did.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider33 /forum/post/0

Ditto.

They had them at $299, then $199 clearance. I called a store 40 minutes away to reserve a sealed one, and a few hours later when I stopped by, I discovered it was an open box
. I told him to sell it to me for $179 just to cover my fuel expense, and he did.

i got mine boxing day sale, $149.99 + $30 delivery, there werent any available within a 1hr drive of me, and i live in a pretty large city.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly13 /forum/post/0

Vanns has them for $179 shipped... very fast as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got mine early December from FS for only $180 as well (includes tax), snagged a sale + friends and family. It is a great sub, and fills my not too picky needs great. Bass is tight, not boomy, and fills the low void left by my bookshelves perfectly. Only thing I don't like that well is the lack of an on/off switch, It has an auto on/off, but sometimes I'd like to just turn it off or on completely. Easily correctable with a power cord which I haven't done.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Vx-10 is a very good sub, less electronics cmopared to the DPS serie so less chance of problems in the future.

It's a fast firing subwoofer designed for those of you who have small bookshelves or punchy drivers.

I really love using this subwoofer with Polk RTI6, this is the perfect match

Vx-10 is small, cheap and perform nicely.

I'm looking for this sub for my Paradigm mini monitors v5 of HSU research VTF-2 (not in the same league but twice the price)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.