AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to put a velvet trim on my screen, which will be wrapped around 2" x 1/2" mdf.

Due to the logistics of getting Black Triple Plush velvet to Canada at even a somewhat reasonable price, I am now investigating my other options.

I know that the triple plush is my best bet, but honestly, how much of a difference would there be if I used either black cotton velveteen or black upholstery velvet?

I ask because I have no idea, and I know you guys are the experts.

Thanks

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts
A LOT of difference, both by visual and touch related criteria.

What's your Screen size? Who knows but there may be some left over pieces lying around that could find their way up to the Great White North via USPS.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
100" diagonal with a 2" border around it. so I would need 2 pieces approx 55"x5" and 2 93"x5". I think...

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgolko /forum/post/16946865

I need to put a velvet trim on my screen, which will be wrapped around 2" x 1/2" mdf.

Due to the logistics of getting Black Triple Plush velvet to Canada at even a somewhat reasonable price, I am now investigating my other options.

I know that the triple plush is my best bet, but honestly, how much of a difference would there be if I used either black cotton velveteen or black upholstery velvet?

I ask because I have no idea, and I know you guys are the experts.

Thanks

I used velveteen I got from C&M Upholstery in Ottawa and it works just fine. It's completely black and any overscan (when zooming to 2.4:1) completely disappears.

Mike

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts
Mike's suggestion is a acceptable one...as long as the price per yard doesn't exceed that of actual Velvet. However Velveteen cannot duplicate the look and feel of true Plush Black Velvet, nor will it absorb overspill as effectively.

The latter statement is a subjective one though...because when price and availability are brought into the equation, Velveteen might work best of all.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/16954050

Mike's suggestion is a acceptable one...as long as the price per yard doesn't exceed that of actual Velvet. However Velveteen cannot duplicate the look and feel of true Plush Black Velvet, nor will it absorb overspill as effectively.

The latter statement is a subjective one though...because when price and availability are brought into the equation, Velveteen might work best of all.

I had found velveteen on another site with cheaper shipping, but it cost more per yard, bringing the total cost to about the same.

However, through these posts I have found someone in Calgary who has some extra triple plush, and we have worked out a deal!!

Thanks for your help!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgolko /forum/post/16960713

However, through these posts I have found someone in Calgary who has some extra triple plush, and we have worked out a deal!!

Thanks for your help!

Wondermous! Fantasterriffic! Take your time and do a good job on that Trim. Besides helping with Projected Light Over Spill and perceived contrast on-screen, it's classy look and feel will set off the appearance of your Screen and give you "Suspender Poppin' Rights" that last even when the lights come up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts