AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need ventilation for my equipment rack? If so what type of ventilation do I need ?

My room is 25 feet by 13 feet by 8ft.

My equipment that will generate the most heat are;

Denon AVR-3802

Rotel Amp 1085 x2

The equipment rack will be housed in the front wall to the left of the screen with a glass door in the front of the rack and to the right of the screen will be a door that I can access the equipment rack from behind and currently there are no vents behind the screen and the equipment rack. I will have 2 air vents sending air in the room and one return air vent. Take a look at the attachment to see my room layout.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Generally if each component is given enough space on all sides you should be fine. It it's enclosed you may want to keep a themometer in there for a while to confirm that everything is within operational limits.

If you need to vent, why not out the back of the rack?

·
Registered
306 Posts
The glass door in the front will greatly restrict air flow. Therefore I am concerned your equipment will overheat, or at least run hot and shorten the life of your equipment.

Some components need good air flow to remain cool. For example, the Philips DSR6000 satellite set top box is prone to overheating if the air temperature is not in the 60s.

I suggest building in hot air exhast and cool air intake openings for the equipment rack. Use an air filter on the cool air intake. Use a fan to either blow out the hot air, or draw in the cool. I am not sure which place would be more efficient. If you want to get fancy have a thermostat control when the fan turns on.

To keep the fan noise from bothering you, mount the fan several feet outside the HT room, connected by ductwork to the equipment rack.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Why not get rid of that glass front and replace it with louvered wood door? That way, all those lights on the equipment won't be in your field of view either. If you are concerned about remote control, get a Dinky Link system and put the receiver for it just under the edge of your screen. (mine is behind the grill of my center speaker). The louvers will allow heat to escape at the top and natural circulation will take care of your equipment.

BTW, in my theater, the 'cold air return' is in the usual place, along the floor. Fine, if that's what you need, but I need "hot air escape". Don't do what I did, put a return duct along the ceiling.

·
Premium Member
7,287 Posts
You will need to add at least one small fan. Try www.pcpowerandcooling.com for their quite fan. It is a computer fan and requires a power converter that you can get from Radio Shack. I have 4 fans in my dual tower cabinet. They move quite a bit of air despite their small size. I purchased a AC to DC converter for 29.99 and the fans are 8.00 each. There is a red wire and a black wire with a plug on the back of the fan. I just snipped the plug and ran the wires directly to the red and black terminals on the converter. It pretty straight forward.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.