AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leaning toward getting the Denon AVR-1909 receiver to power my new home AV set-up (I currently just have a flat screen TV). I am concerned about getting enough air-flow as my wife insisted we get the AV/TV stand she preferred. It is very nice looking but it is pretty much closed (glass doors, wood back with smallish round openings for pulling cables out).

Any thoughts on what I can do to increase air-flow/ventilation inside the cabinet? I was thinking of some type of small computer fan that I could plug into an AC outlet on the back of the the receiver. Any suggestions on a quiet fan that would do the job?

For what its' worth, the heat issue is why I am leaning toward the Denon rather than the Onkyo 606.

I really appreciate your suggestions.

- Tom

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
You can install your own fan setup, or you can buy a package deal for ventilation.

I use a 120mm fan that is hooked to a small 'wall wart', an AC adapter that also triggers an external amp. Its powered by the switched outlet off the back of my AVR receiver. A smaller fan will move the same amount of air but makes more noise in doing so. Get the largest fan you can install and get a variable voltage adapter. Adjust it to meet your needs and for acceptable noise. Most of these fans will run fine on 5-9 volts and make very little sound while moving the air. It doesn't take much movement to keep things cool. Unless you have an Onkyo. They seem to be the hot running AVRs.

Check these links for the hardware you need:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010110573%201372726538&name=120mm

http://www.buyextras.com/avcoco.html

Adding a fan in the rear will only work if there is air for it to draw out of the cabinet. It will require some air flow. Opening the front cabinet door slightly will do. If the doors are not tight fitting it may be enough.

You may be able to find all you need locally. Radio Shack in my area is about all I have and are not well stocked and what they do have they are very proud of.

EDIT: Let the fan pull the air out of the cabinet. Position it above and behind the receiver and it will pull the hot air rising off the receiver out of the space.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
and there is no reason you can't add more holes in the back in strategic places (directly behind amps you can't see from the front.

I found myself having to go back there so much for wiring that I made the back section of my cabinet easily removable, and I replaced it it with a piece that doesn't go all the way to the bottom.

and I added the computer fans I have duals, very quiet (cheap find, salvaged from older computer units)

Also I leave the front doors open during concerts!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have two 3 1/8" holes that I put on top of an enclosed cabinet. Right now I have a 120mm fan blowing in on one side, and another 120mm fan blowing out. I was thinking if I kept a circulation of fresh air at the top of the cabinet, I would be able to draw the warm air away from the receiver.

However, I was wondering whether or not I should just have them both pulling air away from the cabinet. There is a small gap in the front door so there would be some intake.

What are your thoughts that would cool the best? One in, one out... or both fans blowing out?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner93 /forum/post/15504724

I have two 3 1/8" holes that I put on top of an enclosed cabinet. Right now I have a 120mm fan blowing in on one side, and another 120mm fan blowing out. I was thinking if I kept a circulation of fresh air at the top of the cabinet, I would be able to draw the warm air away from the receiver.

However, I was wondering whether or not I should just have them both pulling air away from the cabinet. There is a small gap in the front door so there would be some intake.

What are your thoughts that would cool the best? One in, one out... or both fans blowing out?

Both on top? I'd set up both to pull air out. If you had one in another location, like the side or the front, there could be more debate, but not if they're both on top. Heat rises. Don't fight it, use it. Pull it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts