AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to use electric baseboard heaters in my theater instead of using branch ducts from my forced-air furnace. This is for 2 reasons:

First, my house has only one thermostat, and it's on the main level (it's a ranch-style). The theater is in a below-grade basement, which means I'd have to install a zone system to independently heat/cool the two levels. I might consider that option if it weren't for --

Reason two. I'm going to great lengths to keep the theater acoustically isolated from the furnace, which is located 2 feet outside the theater wall. The sucker is pretty darn loud when the burners turn on. If I used branch ducts for supply/return in the theater, the noise will be transferred through the ductwork into the theater. I can use big registers to cut down on airflow noise, but the burner noise will still be a problem.

So, I need the "V" in HVAC only. I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to provide silent ventilation without heat or cool. BTW, the basement is quite cool even in the summer months so I'm not concerned with AC. Thanks!

Oh, and if anyone thinks that using electric baseboard heat in the theater is ill-advised, please let me know!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have hot water baseboard heat and use 2 Hepa air cleaners dumping air into the front of a floor mounted CRT projector. The side of the 2 cleaners extend beyond the edge of the projector. The bypass air flows back to the seating area providing good ventilation. You can find some fairly quiet air cleaners when ran on a low air speed.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I ran across some posts a little while ago that describe the use of an inline duct fan for circulation. As long as the fan(s) are quiet, that would probably work very well. I can create a self-contained duct with the blower at one end of the room, and the sucker at the other end. The fan will be in the middle.

By the way, does anyone know if electric baseboard heaters buzz or hum at all? Do they make any noise when they turn on and off?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Sound travels with the wind. Put a "sucker" fan at the end of a duct or other large diameter hose. The fan will pull the air and the fan noise with it. At least that is the theory.

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.