AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on venting a HT room and got a lot of good tips. A popular method seems to be installing a dedicated separated intake outlet system. I plan to do this for my HT room in our basement (just vent in and out of a large closet) with sveral bends to break to sound.

Heres my Question. Does one use ducting between the joists or just enclose the joist space as is usual? It seems to me that running ducting would be better for sound but how do you go through headers etc.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,584 Posts
IMO if you use the flexible insulated ducts you will have less noise transfer than just enclosing off the joist space. From what I've seen the closing off technique is only used for the returns not the supply and concern about leaks isn't as great.

With ducts you can fit additional fiberglass around in the joist space for additional noise cancellation.

As for going through Headers, that's why God invented reciprocating saws and hole saws. Just be sure you are not impacting the structural integrity of what ever you are cutting. Now just where is this header you are talking about? I'm having difficulty visualizing why a header would be in the way from what you have described. Were you talking about using the space between the wall studs for your HVAC ducts instead of between the ceiling joists?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Response much appreciated.

I was thinking of starting an 'outlet' duct from a wal in the back, between the wal studs, taking it up thru to the ceiling and then along between the ceiling joists. This would require going thru the header. I might add I am using metal studs and further complicate the matter.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,584 Posts
You are going to need to cut a large hole than in the metal header, You may need to provide extra bracing if the header isn't secured to a ceiling joist immediatly to the right and left of the proposed hole. you might be able to "double up" the thickness of the header metal by putting a second piece overlaping the first and extending to the adjacent studs.

The size of a round hole you could cut in a header is pretty small so I think a round duct is out of the question you will need to go with a rectangle. but once you've cleared the header you could go with a round.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.