AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed on Walmart website that they now list the Venturer player as clearance, meaning they probably are going to stop stocking this player. I remember all the build up and excitement about a "cheap, affordable player for the masses" that this player was going to be to bring HD DVD to the top with the average consumer. I guess it all makes perfect sense though, with the Warner announcement and Toshiba taking the approach of drastically reducing the prices on the Gen 3 players, the Venturer isn't quite the low price solution anymore, since it is essentially a non-Toshiba A3 (why buy a Venturer A3 for 199 when you can get an Toshiba A3 for 129?). Kinda makes me feel like Venturer was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Rumor has it Venturer is actually the manufacturer of the A3. If true, they're doing just fine.

·
Registered
27,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen /forum/post/12947896

Rumor has it Venturer is actually the manufacturer of the A3. If true, they're doing just fine.

Not if the biggest retailer in the world is clearing them out and you cannot buy them at any B+M outfit.

They may be OK...but not in the USA.

·
Registered
868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen /forum/post/12947896

Huh? If they are the A3 manufacturer then they doing great.

I thought Venture was just an importer or a brand name?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hey, if it means Toshiba still sells the players for $129, but the venturer drops to $50 with the 2 discs, why complain?

If the market goes nuts for HD DVD again in terms of sheer players installed and operating, nothing stops the manufacturer and retailers from building and stocking them again...

·
Registered
488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/12948316

Not if the biggest retailer in the world is clearing them out and you cannot buy them at any B+M outfit.

They may be OK...but not in the USA.

This makes no sense. If Venturer is the manfucturer fo the A3 (assumption based on this thread), and the biggest retailer is still stocking the A3, but clearing out the Venturer branded stock, then Venturer is still doing fine as the retailer is still selling Venturer products even if Venturer's branded equipment is not stocked.

There are many companies that are contract manufacturers, and do quite well in that arena, that also branch off into marketing their own branded equipment which are not as well recieved. However, this does not mean that company does not do well, it is just their niche is not in marketing their own branded equipment.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know for sure if Venturer DOES manufacture the A3? If so, then I guess no big deal if their brand player goes bye bye.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I seriously can't figure out the walmarts in my area.

They have the usual current A3 for $149.

Then there's a few NIB HD-A2's marked at $148 which they absolutely refuse to mark down even though I've mentioned that these are older models and don't come with any pack in movies like the A3.

And wouldn't you know it, they also have 2 of the old RCA HD-A1 models still sitting in a clearance area for $298 in this same store. I only wonder how long those will sit there at that price?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGrafx /forum/post/12952056

I seriously can't figure out the walmarts in my area.

They have the usual current A3 for $149.

Then there's a few NIB HD-A2's marked at $148 which they absolutely refuse to mark down even though I've mentioned that these are older models and don't come with any pack in movies like the A3.

And wouldn't you know it, they also have 2 of the old RCA HD-A1 models still sitting in a clearance area for $298 in this same store. I only wonder how long those will sit there at that price?

Walmart is crazy with clearance prices, they seem to have zero consistancy regarding markdowns, whereas Target does a steady 30, 50, 75 for all its stuff. But at least they are both better than Kmart with pricing in general. I went into a Kmart very recently that was charging 30 bucks for a 64 MB SD card, no lie lol.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw97000 /forum/post/12951650

Does anyone know for sure if Venturer DOES manufacture the A3? If so, then I guess no big deal if their brand player goes bye bye.

It's manufactured by Alco in China. Toshiba badges it as the A3 and Venturer imports it as well.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
My local Sam's Club has HD-DVD players (A-3) at the lowest price since the Walmart blitz special. Without mentioning the exact price I can say it was less than $129, and still has the 2 free movies and a free HDMI cable. If I did not already have the Walmart A-2 I would have bought one.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
My guess is that WM is dumping the Venturer as the name brand version (Toshiba) can be had for less $$.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts