AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I received my 150th (or so) DVD to go with my 650 LP's, 250 CD's, 130 LaserDiscs, + a bunch of VHS tapes.

The disc is the new version of the Verdi Requiem by the Abbado-led Berlin Philharmonic in Berlin's beautiful Philharmonic Hall.

The disc is Anamorphic widescreen and has a DTS sound track!!!!!

In my opinion this disc is absolutely my number 1 piece of media in my collection!!!

Listening (and watching this performance) on my HT with my new Hitachi 65TWX RPTV and my new Anthem AVM-20 digital controller was truly a religious experience!!

For you classical/opera music fans out there check this one out!!!

Chasby

·
Registered
770 Posts
I assume it's not a dvd-a then? Also, try the Berlioz Damnation of Faust on the Arthaus Musik label. One thing though, the singing is fine, the stage production is sometimes amazing, BUT they completely trashed the story of this great tale and substituted some modern crap. It only has DD 5.1, but still sounds good. JR

·
Registered
162 Posts
The Verdi Requiem is one of my favorite pieces of music. Over the years I have attended two live performances by the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

It may be a religious experience but it is not church music, as the noted G. Wallace Woodworth, who used to teach Music 1 - a very popular course at Harvard - attested.

One wag called it "Verdi's greatest opera." Not far from the truth (though personally I think his greatest opera is "Otello").

·
Registered
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chasby
Yesterday I received my 150th (or so) DVD to go with my 650 LP's, 250 CD's, 130 LaserDiscs, + a bunch of VHS tapes.
Thanks for the recommendation. BTW how many 8 track tapes do you have:D

·
Registered
897 Posts
Do you actually mean Verdi Gala From Berlin (Widescreen)? I lifted the description below from Amazon.

Quote:
From Amazon.com

For the 100th anniversary of Verdi's death, Claudio Abbado, the Berlin Philharmonic, a dazzling array of soloists, and a virtuoso chorus produce outstanding Verdi performances. The musicians' high level of energy does not undermine their superb precision and polished style. Selections from Un Ballo in Maschera, Don Carlos, Rigoletto, La Traviata, and Falstaff sample the composer's work at the height of his powers.

One complaint: About the packaging, not the performance. There are 13 solo singers, recruited internationally and listed in a group. All of them sing superbly, but the average viewer may have trouble, at times, figuring out who is singing what. It is easy for hard-core opera lovers to identify Ramon Vargas in "Questa o quella" and "La donna e mobile," and Vargas and Andrea Rost in the Brindisi and "Sempre libera" from La Traviata, but some of the 11 others are less familiar and should have been credited. --Joe McLellan

Video Details

Verdicento is the motto of the 2000 New Year's Eve Concert at the Philharmonic in Berlin. Celebrating the 100th anniversary of Giuseppe Verdi's death, the outstanding Berlin Philharmonic under the direction of maestro Claudio Abbado performs highlights from "Un Ballo in Maschera," "Don Carlos," "Rigoletto," "La Traviata" and "Falstaff."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.